Deeply humbled...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It gets better. I've had two pool sessions and did my first two dives today in my new TLSse and while I've got a long way to go, every dive has been better than the one before. It fits me like a custom suit, and the Pinnacle fleece fits just as well.

dherbman:
Life got a lot easier for me when I stopped trying to dive my DS like a wetsuit.
Or you could really dive it like a wetsuit and flood it. Buoyancy control is easy when you flood it.

Is a drysuit that much more difficult than a 7 mm farmer john?

They're easy once you put in a few dives with them. I guess after about 20 or so, you should really be getting the hang of it. As far as comparing them to a thickish wetsuit, in many ways a drysuit is easier to deal with. There's no compensation for compression of the wetsuit. The drysuit adjusts itself (in theory) on the way up. You just have to keep the squeeze off on the way down. The biggest trick is learning not to overinflate it, which causes a giant migrating bubble that is very disturbing to one's trim. These bubbles can migrate to the feet and cause you to migrate to the top and do a mighty footbubble broach with finstraps popping. Very entertaining to see, but kinda dangerous.

Scubakevdm:
These bubbles can migrate to the feet and cause you to migrate to the top and do a mighty footbubble broach with finstraps popping. Very entertaining to see, but kinda dangerous.

Is that why drysuit divers prefer spring straps? :lol:

Welcome to the world of drysuit diving... biggest thing I figured out how to make it work was not to add too much air... a little squeeze (little) is ok... when you don't have any squeeze, it's time (actually almost too late) to dump air.

Dump air, early and often... lol

Again, congrats on the new drysuit!

Dove mine for the first time today, did 5 descents and ascends then a normal dive. Like was said, do not control bouyancy using the drysuit, use the BCD, just add enough air to eliminate squeeze, just a little is ok. You shouldn't look like the Michelin man...

Mike

pickens_46929:
Welcome to the world of drysuit diving... biggest thing I figured out how to make it work was not to add too much air... a little squeeze (little) is ok... when you don't have any squeeze, it's time (actually almost too late) to dump air.

Dump air, early and often... lol

Again, congrats on the new drysuit!

I couldn't argree more. Learning to dive the suit with a good squeeze and dumping early and often to stay in control of your ascent is key. I'm still getting used to it after a couple dozen dives.

Drysuit diving has improved my outlook and enriched the entire experience of diving in cold water. It's just way more fun now. By the end of the dive, I still want to stay in the water. I don't spend my time thinking about how cold I am. I don't groan about getting back into that cold, wet wetsuit for the next dive or two. My fingers work well. I even find that I have more energy after a 3 tank day. I think the cold used to really exhaust me. Now I'm able to stay awake and even read on the ride home.

After a year of diving dry, I know I don't have the same level of control as I do in my wetsuit, but I don't think I ever will. It just the nature of the suit. It won't take you that long to get comfortable but it'll always be "easier" to dive wet.

Back
Top Bottom