Deeply humbled...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJo, I feel your pain. I finally broke down and got a DUI TLS350 recently. I've logged a handful of dives on it so far. There's definitely a learning curve. I think I'm OK with trim and buoyancy part. However, the ascending part still needs work ... venting suit and getting weighting right. I've also noticed my SAC has gone up a bit since diving dry ... need to factor this in to dive planning. Yes, it's been a bit humbling ... but so worth it :)

First, congrats on the drysuit.

Second, it won't take long and diving it will be second nature. I know alot of people go back and forth on this, but I'd recommend using both your drysuit and your bcd for buoyancy. I've been diving dry since dive 7 (55 as of today) and I must say that I started switching to using both the wing and the suit a bit later than I could have.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be the "mistress of buoyancy" again soon :wink:

Bjorn

Thanks for everyone's replies, glad to hear there are many out there with the same experience. Friend of mine said it's moments like this when we realize we've become way too complacent with our diving and think we know everything :D, true that. 2nd night in the pool was a bit better, the guys at the store had me hauling weights around the bottom of the pool (carry, swim and drop) - now that... is hard. (WHooosh, there she goes again! Big bubbling missile!) It felt soooooo nice to be back in a wetsuit for the openwater modules this morning. Happy diving to all!!

My advice for any new drysuit diver (and it is worth exactly what you are paying for it) -- make sure your undergarment(s) is designed for the job! In my painful experience, I found that using "good enough" clothing (poli-pro, etc.) that I had made it more difficult by trapping air and (I think) interfering with the exhaust valve.

The first day I switched to a "real" undergarment, I was able to drop about 4 lbs and life was ever so much easier (and warmer!).

I recently switched to dry suit. I don't remember much of the first dive other than paying almost all attention on bouyancy, trim, and purging air as I ascended. I tried to get stuck in a feet up position but no go... A few dives later I didn't have my rock boots or my gators as snug as usual and I did experience a bit of the light feet. When I REALLY noticed the comfort of my drysuit and the extra work of diving a drysuit is when I took my Rescue Diver class. I went wet and I felt like I was doing tropic diving in a rash guard. Other than I got freekin cold when I was playing dead waiting to be rescued! Keep diving, after about a dozen dives youll be back to yourself.

If you think that is "fun" wait until you start using the dry suit with different loft undergarments to cope with water temps from +34F to +70F. The differing amounts of air in the suit to keep the garment's loft presents a real challenge.

I had my moments, but my drysuit never humbled me. I think I did my Intro to Cave as my first dive in it. Slow and easy always seems to work well for me. I do need to do something about the feet. I just can't get my feet into it anymore! :(

Congrats on the CNX, I love mine. As others said, after 10-15 dives its comfortable and I imagine someday its just like diving without it, in between the comfort grows I know that much.

ScubaJo:
I don't post on Scubaboard very often, but tonight was my first session in the pool suited up and I just wanted to give a big shout out to all the drysuit divers and the dive gods: I'm not worthy!!!!

The water's 28.9 C today, if you can talk your boss into sending you back this way. No drysuit needed.

Every time I think of a drysuit, I also think of a trip for a few weeks to some tropical island in the Pacific or South East Asia where the water temps are above 26 degrees C.

The holiday has won every time so far..

Z..

Back
Top Bottom