Deeply humbled...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread is kind of interesting in the view points expressed, so I've decided to toss in my 2 cents.

I've dove dry now for the last 8 months and decided to bring my 7mm wetsuit with me to TableRock lake. I dove it one time and found some interesting problems. First thing was it took me a bit to get buoyancy control back as good as what I do with the drysuit. It seems natural to me to just hit the inflator on either the suit or BC as needed, and since it's got air going to both places you manage both of them at the same time. When I dove wet I missed that and felt like something was off.

The next issue came when we hit the thermocline at 22 feet, I noticed the cold differently than what you feel in a drysuit. It was COLD to me, and I used to be the kind of diver who in this very same wetsuit could do 42 F dives at 60 feet and remain comfortable, yet a 55F I was cold and nearly ready to thumb the dive. After about 10 more minutes the temps had dropped down to 48F and I managed to get comfortable finally, but it took probably 45 minutes to get there. We got out after an hour and I did have fun, but it just wasn't like I remembered. The feel in the water was different for me and I just don't think I enjoyed the dive as much as I do in the drysuit.

Of course I remember thinking on the first dozen dives that I hated this drysuit and it was such a PITA and couldn't remember why I even got into it. Now I really like it. However, drysuit is a misnomer. In 100F air temps you won't exactly be dry when you get into the water, it's like a sauna in the thing. You'll find things to be a bit damp but once in the water it's good.

jiveturkey:
After a year of diving dry, I know I don't have the same level of control as I do in my wetsuit, but I don't think I ever will. It just the nature of the suit. It won't take you that long to get comfortable but it'll always be "easier" to dive wet.

That's interesting, I feel the opposite and during my dives over the last 2 days I discovered I can't dive wet as good as I do dry. Used to be that I thought wet was the only way to go and was quick and easy to get suited up and do your thing.

Nope, I can say that dry is more fun and easier for me now than wet is. Odd huh?

ChillyWaters:
It's the same _technique_. Add weight to sink and add air until neutral. Should I get more precise?

:shakehead You're missing my point. Diving a 7mm farmer john (14 mm at the core) is like driving an enormous SUV while diving a 3mm with almost no weight is like driving a little sports car. The sports car is more fun when you can literally feel the road and take hairpin turns.

TheRedHead:
:shakehead You're missing my point. Diving a 7mm farmer john (14 mm at the core) is like driving an enormous SUV while diving a 3mm with almost no weight is like driving a little sports car. The sports car is more fun when you can literally feel the road and take hairpin turns.

Ummm... did I not mention weight? Anyways, I'm not sure why we're talking about 7mm vs 3mm in a drysuit thread.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
Ummm... did I not mention weight? Anyways, I'm not sure why we're talking about 7mm vs 3mm in a drysuit thread.

Because YOU said there is no difference in diving a 3mm and a 7mm. My original comment centered on the advantages of diving a drysuit vs. a 7mm farmer john. The farmer john is

heavy
uncomfortable
requires excessive weight to sink
compresses at depth

The drysuit appears to have advantages over the farmer john aside from the "dry" factor, although I imagine the weight required to sink the undies and air would be similar.

TheRedHead:
Because YOU said there is no difference in diving a 3mm and a 7mm.

:rolleyes:

TheRedHead:
My original comment centered on the advantages of diving a drysuit vs. a 7mm farmer john. The farmer john is

heavy
uncomfortable
requires excessive weight to sink
compresses at depth

The drysuit appears to have advantages over the farmer john aside from the "dry" factor, although I imagine the weight required to sink the undies and air would be similar.

Actually, like wetsuits, all drysuits are not created equal. Some are heavy, uncomfortable, require excessive weight to sink, compress at depth, etc.. And then, some do not.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
:rolleyes:

Actually, like wetsuits, all drysuits are not created equal. Some are heavy, uncomfortable, require excessive weight to sink, compress at depth, etc.. And then, some do not.

- ChillyWaters
And some will reduce your flexibility to the point that you can't reach your valve(s). That's pretty important, don't you agree?

Congrats on the CNX - I love mine, although it took 10 dives before I trusted the autovent and I felt I had control and 20 dives before I felt fully comfortable.

Keeping a moderatre squeeze on during these early dives was key - I never had any feet-first accents but I did blow a few safty stops. You learn quickly what not to do.

If you havn't done so already get a decent undergarment that will fill the airspace, keeps some loft during compaction and will slow air movement - I love the ND flecton suit. If your feet are floaty then using two pairs of socks to fill up the boot space and use heavier fins.

Cheers,
Rohan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom