• 200fsw - 300fsw

Votes: 30 14.0%
  • 300fsw - 350fsw

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Deeper than 350fsw

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks like we are pretty close. I make a couple of 200 to 250 every year. Not as much as I would like though.

Hallmac

It depends on what you are comfortable with doing. Obviously, the deeper you go, the more gas (and training) you will need. I like the 200+ range. 300+ requires a lot of Helium and stage bottles. I usually dive with dbl 98s and two 40 stages. Going 400 to 500+ is a lot of work!

Robert:doctor:

I'd have to refrane from saying my depth and profiles for fear of conveying the wrong messages to our " impressionable " readers. I'm sure some would salivate at the chance to critique me...............You do have an interesting post though !
Wreck/Tec

DocRCH.....lets talk 400 - 500 we are pushing for 500 for this summer, anywere in the 300 range is fiine. 400 is good. 500 is the push.
to reach 500 we will need to establish a support team, are you using a support team.
tell about how you use them, and why.

Wreck/Tec
your name sounds interesting.
I'm sure some would salivate at the chance to critique me...............
what are you afraid of. sometimes the best test with a system is the critic of your peers.

I use this forum as a tooll to see what others are doing, and it would be interestting to know what you are doing.

I personaly have been doing less deep diving lately...keeping it between 200 and 300 feet. I have just purchased a rebreather and i am getting up to speed on it so that i am ready for a trip to Scapa Flow

Hey Aquatec,
I was doing some deep stuff a couple of years ago on a regular basis (350-450). Now, since I mostly cave dive, I don't get the chance to get deep very often. There are only a few caves that are open that allow you to go below 200 and you have to pay a guide to enter them.

I'm moving back to the ocean in a few months, so I'll be back in the 400 range as soon as possible.
Cheers,

P.S. Whatcha wanna talk about?

Sherpa
are you doing 400 in wrm or cold water.
i have done a bunch of dives between 300 and 400 my deepest being 404. i would like to hit 500 this year

questions as you push past 400.
were are you diving
are you diving with a team
just a dive budy..a support team..solo
what are your usual bottom times
what software are you using

anything else you want to share with me

131' JUST TO BE A REBEL...:mean:

i have done a bunch of dives between 300 and 400 my deepest being 404. i would like to hit 500 this year

What is there to do/see at 500'? Do you have a specific place in mind, or do you just want to go to 500' to say that you've been there?

I never have understood why people want to go deep just to say they've been there. If there's nothing to do or see, I'm not going. It's pointless. Now, if you're training for something deeper and this is another step in the training.....that's one thing.....but going to a depth JUST to go there seems lame to me.

If all the wrecks and caves I wanted to go to were 50' or less, I would never go any deeper....but, alas, many of them are just a little deeper than that. :wink: I have to be REALLY interested in something to go to 400-500' to see it....and so far, nothing like that has really caught my attention.

Mike

Aviatrr once bubbled...

What is there to do/see at 500'? Do you have a specific place in mind, or do you just want to go to 500' to say that you've been there?

I never have understood why people want to go deep just to say they've been there. If there's nothing to do or see, I'm not going. It's pointless. Now, if you're training for something deeper and this is another step in the training.....that's one thing.....but going to a depth JUST to go there seems lame to me.

If all the wrecks and caves I wanted to go to were 50' or less, I would never go any deeper....but, alas, many of them are just a little deeper than that. :wink: I have to be REALLY interested in something to go to 400-500' to see it....and so far, nothing like that has really caught my attention.

Mike

Why deep dive, it is not to say I have one it to anybody else but me. Why climb Everest "because it is there"
People who don't understand or like deep diving will never understand why people dive deep.

Not that this is a complete explanation but I provide this. I enjoy the challenge, mental, physical, physiological, and logistical. I enjoy the planning and execution of the task. I enjoy exploring the edges of my training, knowledge an experience, then going back and adding to my knowledge base via research, training, networking, and etc. then putting that training and experience to actual use, once again pushing forward my own personal experience.

I don’t expect you to understand, but you alluded to the fact that you like cave diving, why go deeper into a cave that has already been explored even a 50 foot deep one. Is 2000 + feet back in a 50 foot deep cave any different

One last thing, I also enjoy wreck diving. Since I am very comfortable at 350 feet in Open Ocean, it also gives me a very comfortable feeling at 250 feet deep inside a wreck. 250 feet is nothing as far as depth. Just one less stress when **** hits the fan inside a wreck.. Not that I deep dive to improve wreck diving comfort, it is just a side effect same for cave diving. I am very comfortable with overhead environments the is no early surfacing in the kind of diving I do.

The deep stuff was all in cold water. We used several different programs for tables. I've been using V-plan lately and I really like it. As for bottom times, they were limited to 10-12 minutes with a calculated 60 feet/min drop. We were looking at wrecks and other snags that we thought may have been wrecks. There were two of us diving, and two people on the surface. We were solo, together. There isn't a whole hell of a lot a buddy is good for below 300'.

Most of the training dives in the 350-400 range were shore dives on walls where we would go and get dinner (King Crab), then deco on the wall looking for nudibranchs to photograph (above 200). Our deco was modified based on how much success we were having with the cameras. Also, this was before I was hip on the END<160, so we blew the PPO2 through the roof as well as being slightly loopy.

I would conduct the dives different now, mainly by adding a little more helium to the mix. A support team is great if you can find one. I never felt like dealing with a bunch of people who I would have to train to do tasks that I could do for myself.
Where ya thinkin' of diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom