• 200fsw - 300fsw

Votes: 30 14.0%
  • 300fsw - 350fsw

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Deeper than 350fsw

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I limit myself to 120 feet on air because I'm not a big fan of narcosis and I do 100% of my diving in cold low visibility water. I'm getting my normoxic certs this summer and after that I'll do deeper wrecks up to 180'. I'm really looking forward to doing the deeper dive without narcosis.

Originally posted by AquaTec
I agree that there must be a reason to go deep [what ever that means to you] macho stuff is out of style these days.

Deep deco I am not sure what you ment by that saturday my 1st deco was at 150' I have had decos in the 220 range before

and no I didn't meen just tech dives just diving in general

I think people that are diving in simular depth ranges should have stuff to talk about.

most of my dives are between 200 and 350 so for me it would be interesting to chat with someone doing simular dive profiles

Because Missouri caves get deep FAST and because the best wrecks in the Great Lakes are deep, that's why I want to do deep dives. Ive been doing pretty Normoxic back gas mixes, but I'm getting more comfortable with hypoxic (12 to 16%)

Cannonball has been pushed to 360 ft, and the Gunilda is the most amazingly preserved wreck around. Both I think are worthy goals.

Dive safe
Brock

I do most of my recreational diving in the 100-125 ft range. That's my narcosis limit. Beyond that I get wacked so below 125 ft, I use trimix, with Abyss Deco software. I'm in Ontario, Canada.
Most of our diving is cold in Great Lakes.
So far my deepest dives have been to 150 feet.
On Trimix, I'm clear headed and alert, but the deco starts deeper, and you must have argon for your dry suit.

Reason: shipwrecks, last Sept we dove The Empress Of Ireland. 150 feet deep, 575 feet long, water temp 38°F, visibility about 5-8 feet.

Mike

My buddy John and I can now be added to the list of divers who have dived on the Empress of Ireland.(The Andria Doria is known as the Mount Everest of wreck dives, and the Empress is refered to as the K2)

We dove on the wreck twice, Tuesday and Wednesday.
We hit a max depths of 135 and 150 fsw.
The water is cold, 41- 42°F and visibility was poor (5-10 feet). Time at this depth is extremely limited. and I get realy narc'd below 120 ft so trimix training was nessessary. We have been preparing for this trip for over a year.
We trained in decompression techniques, got nitrox certification, and gas blender ratings.
We consulted with experienced trimix instructors, bought decompression software, and did training dives in Rock Port and on the Forrest City in Tobermory to prepare.
The wreck is deep, starting at 85 fsw and bottoming out at 145 - 150 fsw. The wreck is very silty and over grown with soft growth, and there are many toad crabs, and anemones every where.
The wreck is lying on her starboard side (right side when looking forward), with her bow facing north and keel into the current, deck facing down stream (east). This makes for a good dive since we could drop off the rail, down the deck, in the lee of the current.

Dive 1: Tuesday August 28, 11:11 AM
To maximise our bottom time, we were using technical diving techniques, and equipment (twin 98's with trimix, and an 80 with nitrox decompression gas)
We descended on the mid ship down line, left a strobe flashing and proceded along the rail, forward to the bow. We passed along the raised letters about 10 feet below the rail, to the anchor, then down towards the keel.
At 120 feet I found a brass lamp cage, tarnished green, but in perfect condition. (I was able to photograph the one in J.P. Bouillon's collection, that is identical to it)
We bottomed at 135 fsw, then headed back up the hull towards the midships down line.
At 25 minutes we picked up the strobe, and started our ascent. Marc was using Nitrox on this dive, (higher nitrogen content than our trimix)
so we had a lengthly decompression obligation.
At 70 fsw we switched to our deco-gas, to aid improve our out gasing, and made a series of deco stops starting at 50 to 10 fsw. Dive time : just over under hour.

The rest of the day we visited the Empress of Ireland museum in Rimouski,and mixed trimix and nitrox for our dive, on Wednesday.

Dive 2, Wednesday August 29, 10:33 AM
We descended the midship down line, and placed the strobe as before, but we then dropped over the rail down along the deck to the bottom at 150 fsw.
I noticed an inflated red one gallon plastic tank here,probably used as a reference marker by previous explorers to mark the locarion of the ascent line.
We proceded along the bottom, towards the stern, following a trail of debris, next to the deck.
At 20 minutes we proceded up the the top rail at 85 feet and moved forward. We passed a large opening in the port side, this was blown out by explosives for access to the lower decks. We checked the area, for a future penetration dive.
We continued along the rail to retreive our strobe, and start our ascent at 28 minutes.
This was over our original plannned time of 25 minutes, but we had a couple contingency decompression schedules prepared, we moved to the 30 minute schedule and all went well. Over an hour in 36°F water. I'm glad we used argon in our dry suits.

Mike D

I hope someday, after a lot of training to be able to do dives like this. Until then I enjoy reading about them. :D

You must be reading DIRQuest! They had some amazing pics and description of the Gunilda a few months ago! That one really made me want to get in some cold Great Lakes water!!!

DSAO!!

Originally posted by Okiecaver

Because Missouri caves get deep FAST and because the best wrecks in the Great Lakes are deep, that's why I want to do deep dives. Ive been doing pretty Normoxic back gas mixes, but I'm getting more comfortable with hypoxic (12 to 16%)

Cannonball has been pushed to 360 ft, and the Gunilda is the most amazingly preserved wreck around. Both I think are worthy goals.

Dive safe
Brock

Actually, There was a great Canadian tech site run by Steve Lewis. It went away, but the message has been carried on in 2 Yahoo Groups.

It was on Steve's Techdiver.Com site that I first heard of Hogarthian and places such as the Jodrey and the Gunilda. This was about late '99, early '00.

So You now have an open Invite to both Missouri and the Great Lakes. Let me know if you are interested in either.

Dive safe
Brock

PS- I added you to my buddy list

might push that a bit in good conditions with trusted buddies. I dive mix below 100, Nitrox above, no air. I enjoy wrecks, and other wrecks, really nothing else. We do some penetration and generally use Gavins to make life easier.

WW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom