Deep Diving on Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Padi does however state 40m as absolute max for recreational diving, atleast in the books I have (Norwegian).
Also my travel insurance specify that it cover recreational diving to a depth no deeper than 30m, so wether or not I try make the claim that 30m is "just recommended max" for my AOW card, Ill be up **** creek without a paddle.. or a canoe.
Do they not offer DAN insurance in Norway? My DAN policy doesn't set depth limits on my diving activities ... and it's amazingly affordable ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dont know and dont really care unless I decide to start going down the tech diving path, which is not unlikely to happen with time..
My travel insurance has me covered for medical and repatriation cost to the ammount of unlimited anyways.

My DAN policy doesn't set depth limits on my diving activities ... and it's amazingly affordable ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I believe DNA regional Offices use different underwriters.
DAN Asia-Pacific insurance does set depth limit on various plans offered. The Preferred Plan set no depth limit but require suitable training on gas and equipment etc.
I suspect if anyone perished inside a cave or wreck without proper training.....bad news.

I think I posted your video on this thread already. thanks for showing again. is this a regular dive you do on charters.

Oh I see your from texas so just a vaca dive I presume.

Sorry guys, all I can think is why not have two tanks? Sling one and be done with it.

shore, when in warm clear water and descending you can get to 200' on very little air (experience of course) and this diving has been done for decades, it is not a new way to go diving.

2011 Gas Fill Prices Chuuk Lagoon

Blue Lagoon Dive Shop:
Oxygen: $0.06/L or $1.67/cuft
Helium: $0.16/L or $4.50/cuft

Truk Stop Hotel Dive Ops:
Oxygen: $0.03/L or $0.93/cuft
Helium: $0.10/L or $2.95/cuft

Reference Comparison:
Pacific Wilderness Dive Shop San Pedro/Port of Los Angeles, California (retail):
Oxygen: $0.01/L or $0.40/cuft
Helium: $0.04/L or $1.20/cuft

Port of Singapore (wholesale):
Oxygen: $0.02/L or $0.42/cuft
Helium: $0.03/L or $0.96/cuft

Projected GUE Standard Bottom Mix Gas fills for one set of Double AL80's at the Truk Stop Hotel (Chuuk Lagoon):
21/35 $205
18/45 $260
15/55 $310

At the Blue Lagoon Dive Ops: One 20/20 Trimix dive (twin AL80 11L tanks) with Eanx50 and O2 (AL30 4.2L deco bottles) cost $190 total for He/O2 gas blending . . .[MOD 60m @1.4ata; END 45m] --I had ten successful dives using this "Economy Mix" for a total gas bill of near $2k
-----

The Point is:
The best economical strategy is to use air on initial external forays on the deep wrecks, while using trimix on subsequent deep dives especially those over 45m depth requiring wreck penetration.

Last edited:
Interesting gas price comparison!

NOAA Oxygen Limits for Single Exposure predict that a O² Partial pressure of 1.6 would become toxic after 45 minutes.
So it is possible to dive deeper than 220 ft on air. Question remains: WHY WOULD YOU?
When trained some people can handle partial oxygen pressures of 2.2 for a limited time and probably even higher, however this is playing russian roulette.
The NOAA Table is, just like the RDP or any other table used in diving only a guideline.
Within the limits of the table the "average person" (healthy, skinny, fat, unhealthy, smoker, non-smoker, whatever) should be fine.
Pushing those limits without tuition, training, preparation and careful planning will end up in tragedy.

I work as a DM and every day I see people who think that the rules don't apply to them.

Greets

Back
Top Bottom