Deep Diving on Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie59

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
During a recent dive trip I had the opportunity to dive to a depth below the recreational limit. The person who took me has had experience diving to 225 ft and below on air. The dive itself was uneventful and nothing special except for the thrill of going deep. Narcosis was not that much more intense than at 135 ft. While I don't advocate diving to below 180 ft on air(I would not have done it without someone experienced) I am curious how many people push the limits of diving with air on a regular basis. I saw several people diving below the rec dive limit on this trip, something I have not seem much of in the past.

Wow no one has jumped on this one yet? Charlie what is your cert level? were you taking a tec class? what did you have for redundent air? Why would you want to push the limits of any aspect of scuba diving with out the proper training and gear, let alone diving deep and on air?

Reactions: Jax
I just wrote it off as the normal third Thurdsay of the month deep air bounce diving post.

The OP may want to read some of those - especially the recent ones involving permanent paralysis and fatal injuries.

In general diving with someone who has experience on deep air dives to 225' won't insulate you from being killed along with the "experienced" diver anymore than playing Russion Roulette with an "experienced" Russian Roulette player will reduce the odds of shooting yourself in the head.

The general consensus of properly trained technical divers who make meaningful dives to those depths after proper training and using appropriate gasses and equipment configurations is that deep air bounce diving is pretty farking stupid.

This seems to be a pretty hot topic on ScubaBoard these days. I am sure you must know that a dive shop owner in Cozumel died recently after just such a dive. The plan was to go to 300 feet on air and then surface. I am sure that if she were alive she would tell you that the narcosis at 300 feet felt pretty much the same to her as it did at 135 feet. That's one of the problems with narcosis--you usually don't feel it enough to realize what it is doing to you. In her case, she apparently did not realize that she had reached the 300 foot depth and kept going. A buddy caught up with her at 400 feet and turned her around. That extra descent used up their air supply, so they ran out of air at about 200 feet. Fortunately, they had another diver with them who had not gone past 300 feet and who still had enough air to get them to the surface (no stops) with three person buddy breathing. She died. The buddy who caught her at 400 feet is still paralyzed. The other diver will probably recover, although we are not getting reports in him so I can't be sure.

Let's start with narcosis. It affects different people differently, and it affects the same person differently on different dives. Frequently it is not a problem on dives like that, especially if nothing out of the ordinary happens. If something out of the ordinary happens, you may not have the mental agility to deal with it effectively. You may also be numb to circumstances around you, missing vital clues, like the reading of your depth gauge. So it's a roll of the dice. Usually it won't be a problem. Sometimes it will.

You don't mention how much air you brought with you. You evidently had enough to reach your depth and reach the surface. Great! Did you have enough to deal with an unforeseen problem, like a free flow, a blown o-ring, or a buddy who unexpectedly descends an extra 100 feet and needs to be caught and returned to the surface? So taking just enough air to get you down and back is a roll of the dice. Usually it won't be a problem. Sometimes it will.

You did not mention any decompression planning. Did you use any established tables or computer algorithms, or did you take a good guess? Decompression sickness is hard to predict. Diving within recreational limits is extremely safe, and the incidence of DCS on such dives in extremely low. As you go deeper, the need to follow decompression schedules becomes more and more important, and the odds of having a DCS incident such as the one I described above increase. If you are following a computer, do you have a backup in case it fails? If you are following a plan or a computer and and are able to do the stops because nothing unforeseen happened and you have enough air, you are likely to be fine. So it's a roll of the dice. Usually it won't be a problem. Sometimes it will.

I am not sure how much experience you have dealing with equipment issues at depth. If nothing goes wrong, you will be OK. If something does go wrong with the equipment, do you have the ability to deal with it at depth? If not, it's a roll of the dice. Usually it won't be a problem. Sometimes it will.

Technical dive training results in divers using gas mixtures that minimize (but don't eliminate) the effects of narcosis. These divers calculate their gas needs carefully and carry enough in case of emergencies. They train for equipment emergencies. They have carefully planned decompression profiles and backup plans in case of emergency. They have well established protocols for dealing with every possible situation, and they know how to work effectively in buddy teams in case of emergency. In short, they have thought of everything that can go wrong and made plans to deal with those rare but anticipated problems.

So, yes, there are people who do this kind of diving regularly. They seem to enjoy that roll of the dice. Usually they don't have a problem. Sometimes they do.

Mods - I'd personally like to see boulderjohn's post #4 (above), or something very much like it, made into a sticky. These deep air threads are the new "pony bottle" threads on SB.

During a recent dive trip I had the opportunity to dive to a depth below the recreational limit. The person who took me has had experience diving to 225 ft and below on air. The dive itself was uneventful and nothing special except for the thrill of going deep. Narcosis was not that much more intense than at 135 ft. While I don't advocate diving to below 180 ft on air(I would not have done it without someone experienced) I am curious how many people push the limits of diving with air on a regular basis. I saw several people diving below the rec dive limit on this trip, something I have not seem much of in the past.

Glad you made it. No applause, though.

Reactions: Jax
Charlie's sig line scares me a bit.

But, out of morbid curiosity; I'd be interested in seeing a few more details. Then everyone could pick it apart, to show why it was such a poor plan.

I don't ever plan to do it. I did once go to 131 feet (on Nitrox 28). Uh oh, forgot that one on the scuba sin thread. But I was just following an instructor--oh, there's another sin. As Charlie said, it wound up being just for the thrill. I've heard there is relatively little of interest down there anyway, unless it is a deep wreck, in which case there is tech. diving. So why do it on air? Can't be worth the risks just for a thrill.

I made hundreds of dives on air below 150 feet, dozens below 200 feet, and several below 300 feet. I started diving in 1972 at the age of fourteen and didn't develop a fear of diving deep on air (the only gas we had until ~1985), it was just another skill set to master. Though now, at the age of 53, I do dive mix below 120 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom