Deep Diving on Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie you will always see this on a dives without new divers, I have not been on a charter yet that held you back from your comfort of diving, remember today there are 7 billion people on the plant, there are millions of divers on the planet and so there are a million Deep Air Divers at least, and there are only a few dozen here on SB that are against it, the rest do not post so not have to justify there dives.

Charlie good you have a friend to teach you and do these dives safely.

Is there any technical diving agency out there that teaches air to 225 any more?

We have no details as to the equipment configuration or the dive plan. But I do know that the Monterey area lost a very beloved young man a year or so ago on a deep air dive, and all accounts suggested that he toxed. It's not common on deep air, and I believe the theory is that the nitrogen narcosis suppresses electrical activity in the brain enough to prevent oxygen toxicity seizures, but in this case, it appeared to happen.

I think everybody should be free to do the dives they want to do -- but I think the decisions to do them should be EDUCATED decisions, and I fear that, all too often, they really aren't.

I think everybody should be free to do the dives they want to do -- but I think the decisions to do them should be EDUCATED decisions, and I fear that, all too often, they really aren't.

I could not agree more with this statement

Is there any technical diving agency out there that teaches air to 225 any more?

We have no details as to the equipment configuration or the dive plan. But I do know that the Monterey area lost a very beloved young man a year or so ago on a deep air dive, and all accounts suggested that he toxed. It's not common on deep air, and I believe the theory is that the nitrogen narcosis suppresses electrical activity in the brain enough to prevent oxygen toxicity seizures, but in this case, it appeared to happen.

Looks like they still teach to 240 on air. I was a crew memeber when they were doing training dives to 300 on air in the ocean.. maybe they dropped it back to only 240??

PSAI Technical and Extended Range Programs.

Forget Narcosis... Doesn't "air" become toxic below 220 ft? 21%o2 @ 220 = 1.61 PPo2. How are people diving 400 feet on air and not getting a tox hit?
As Lynn indicates the narcotic properties of the nitrogen probably provides a small degree of suppression of the CNS effects of the O2. Ox tox is also a function of PO2 and time, so a short exposure is more survivable than a long one.

From what I have read regarding various deep air record attempts from participants and support divers is that those divers tolerate short, deep dives but only if they keep then short and do not exert themselves. Any level of activity tends to precipitate an ox tox event.

Which is to say if your buddy starts sinking or has issues in the sub 300' range on air and you go after them, you are probably just increasing the number of fatalities to two.

-----

Neal Watson is the guineas book of records record holder for deep air diving with a depth of 437'. But that's because they stopped accepting records in that category. They did that because about half the people going to those depths on air were dying.

diving deep, just for diving deep,
for the thrill to push the limit or set a new deep personal record,
is to me the same as driving fast in your car, set a new record ? see how fast you can go ?
how about lets see how far you can drive with your eyes closed ?
or with both feet out the window ?

diving deep for a cause, like that one special wreck you just got to see, and planned so for a long time,
with proper traning, correct equipment, and correct air mix,
together with good and skilled friends,
is considered to be fine if you ask me,
and if something bad happens you will still be taken seriously.

another thing to think about is always, when you put your self into danger
you can also put others into danger, your friends, the helpers, the rescue team.

Personally I newer even dived to the limit of my certificate yet (40m)
I dont plan to, without a good reason to do so.

It is always interesting to see the posts on SB. I do understand the concern that some have about diving below the rec limits and I do not advocate making it a habit, however, I do think that many people do dive below the limits (drop dives of less than 3 minutes below 150 feet). I was only trying to gauge how often people ventured out of their comfort zone and went deep on air.

The issue that I have with not exploring or discussing diving deeper is that people are afraid to dive to 130 feet, and in an emergency would be afraid to go deeper. From what I have read on the "internets", diving air to 165 feet on air is reasonable with the right education and a trained individual. The French have levels of diving that sets a limit on diving of 165 feet on air. The world's record on air is in excess of 450 ft, but that is crazy.

While I am in favor of having respect for the dangers of deep diving, I am not a fan of fear in diving. In the past I would feel anxious about my diving to 130 ft, now I think that anxiety will be much less since I have seen what it is like below that level. I again would not promote the activity but suspect that there are many divers who dive down to 200 ft on air and not infrequently.

I`ve been diving for 30 YEARS, Ihave over 1200 logged dives. 100 below 120 ft to 200 ft.
I get narcosis below 120 ft. Sometimes it`s worse than others,
Being an instructor I certified as a gas blender & O2 cleaning technician, & technical diver.

If I`m going to dive below 120 ft I use trimix.
To me it is just not worth the risk.

Mike Dolson

I was ready to cut the OP some slack until I read his second post. He needs to learn the difference between "fear" and "respect". That attitude that he displays (at least on an internet forum) is reckless.

Back
Top Bottom