Deep Air Poll. Well, Someone Has To Put Their Head Over The Parapet...

Deep Air: Do it, Did It, Never Would?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm waiting for trimix to be replaced by neoquad, which should be cheaper(since it can be mixed using crude helium).

What's "deep air"? I've been to 130 on air. That was my first dive trip to Maui, before I knew better.

Now I don't dive air, period, let alone deep.

I'll dive air in the pool ... for everything else there's nitrox.

Locally, my max depth without helium is about 120 fsw.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Done a few 200 foot air dives in Cayman. Look forward to doing it again.

200 feet and a bottom time of 15 minutes is my limit, to reduce O2 exposure. Always had doubles/sidemount and 2 deco tanks.

In the event of a problem,or the slightest suspicion of a problem, or any current,or anything at all just not feeling quite right,plan is to ascend to ~120 and sort it out.

I can feel the narcosis for sure,but I can function well enough to monitor depth,time and pressure. I'm under no illusions I could fix something complicated which is why I like sidemount. (losing gas from somewhere? just ascend ,no need to think,no chance of losing all gas)

Deepest dive yet was to 41msw on air in the Mediterranean. Plan on doing AN/DP and possibly Extended Range in addition to Trimix education.

I've done it, I'm a bit uncomfortable about it and I'd do it again for deep shark cleaning stations. I'd want some buildup and a fair bit of redundancy. I was in Honiara for 4 months this year and I which I'd made it out to see those sharks.

I'm under no illusions I could fix something complicated which is why I like sidemount. (losing gas from somewhere? just ascend ,no need to think,no chance of losing all gas)

That puts an interresting slant on the "don't isolate, shut down the right/left post" argument...

I would do 150 on air back in my younger days spearfishing on the Gulf oil rigs. Many of my buddies routinely did 200. Now at 69 years old I try to keep it above 100 but something may one day lure me deeper.

I used to dive air down to a max depth of 200 fsw. It was for a film project I was working on and I continued it for a little over a year. Once I was through with that project, the deepest I've gone on air was 151 fsw. Since I no longer routinely dive to depths of 180-200 fsw, I now get very noticeably narc'ed at 150 fsw. Back when I dove deep frequently, narcosis was a minor issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom