Decompression Theory?????????????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hardhat

Reaction score
I'm not a rebreather diver yet (it's a dollar issue), but what I would like to find out is, for learning decompression theory what is a good source, ie good books to get my hands on ect. Thanks for any advice any-one can give me.

Here's one to get you going:

Wienke, Bruce R. "Basic Decompression Theory and Application" (Second Edition) Best Publishing Company, Flagstaff, AZ 2003

Available at:
www.bestpub.com

Despite the title, it is not a 'basic' textbook by any means. I worked my way through it slowly. It is extremely valuable for supplementing articles found elsewhere (do a google search on decompression theory, deep stops, etc.) If you have a background in math it will come in handy. Still, one of the seminal works on the subject.

Heres a good website:
http://www.rgbmdiving.com/site/bestpub.htm

Doc Intrepid:

Wienke, Bruce R. "Basic Decompression Theory and Application" (Second Edition) Best Publishing Company, Flagstaff, AZ 2003

Available at:
www.bestpub.com

Despite the title, it is not a 'basic' textbook by any means. I worked my way through it slowly. It is extremely valuable for supplementing articles found elsewhere (do a google search on decompression theory, deep stops, etc.) If you have a background in math it will come in handy. Still, one of the seminal works on the subject.

Heres a good website:

This is not a very good book for someone asking for basic information on the net. Buhlman's book is easier to comprehend than this thing. It is a good book, but it looks like a math text book when you open it.

RTodd:
This is not a very good book for someone asking for basic information on the net. Buhlman's book is easier to comprehend than this thing. It is a good book, but it looks like a math text book when you open it.

If that book narcs you a bit, try reading "Technical Diving In Depth"; you'll wonder
whether or not tech diving is worth the math lessons that seem necessary. :eyebrow:

Green_Manelishi:
If that book narcs you a bit, try reading "Technical Diving In Depth"; you'll wonder
whether or not tech diving is worth the math lessons that seem necessary. :eyebrow:

That might be the one I am thinking of actually. I would have to look. Either way, Wienke's books aren't a good introductory text on the subject.

I think by basic, he (Bruce Wienke) means fundamental or first principals. All of his texts are excellent resources but you definitely earn the knowledge you gain. Bennett and Elliott’s Physiology and Medicine of Diving is an expensive but useful text to consider.

Keep an eye out for Dr. Deco’s advanced decompression class. This is an excellent intro-to-advanced foray into decompression in a very painless setting.

Dave

Doc Intrepid:

For a lot of people understanding Dr. Wienke's work is as unattainable as walk on the surface of Mars.

Unfortunately, I don't know the solution. It's taken me years to really get a grasp on deco theory and most of that has come from adding layer upon layer of understanding to what I know by reading anything I can find about deco theory that happens to be written in a human language.

R..

Has anyone reviewed the PDF's for sale on the RGBMDiving site? What level are they and how thorough?

Doc Intrepid:

Available at:
www.bestpub.com

Heres a good website:

RTodd:
That might be the one I am thinking of actually. I would have to look. Either way, Wienke's books aren't a good introductory text on the subject.
He didn't ask for "introductory".

Have you actually read Weinke's book all the way through? Forget the math, I'm referring to the text? I'm dense as hell in terms of higher math, but the text is pretty clear even if you have to wade through it at times.

He's a diveshop owner/employee with between 500-1000 logged dives, an IANTD DM, PADI AI, been diving 16 years, and he's done deep trimix dives which suggests at least a passing familiarity with the principles of decompression. I suspect he's grasped the "introductory". He asked for good sources for "learning decompression theory". I suggested this as one of the more comprehensive theoretical presentations, and indicated that it supported a number of the more common articles from the journals. By all means, cite your own lit review if you have a different opinion.

Thanks all. As Doc Intrepid says I do have some sort of familiarty with the basic principles of Decompression. I would like some more reading for myself on the subject and would like to learn more of the theory. I appriciate all the recommendations and look forward to reading the afore mentioned texts. Oh by the way I am not to bad with the math, so hopefully that part of the misteries of decompression won't be to hard to understand. And as I said, thank-you to all that answered my question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom