how to calculate where your first decompression stop is

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

🤔 gotta wonder what reason one could possibly have for embedding a pile of javascrapt in a postgres database...

I just know it's possible...and given how unpleasant I've found working against the C API directly, I can only imagine that going C -> WASM -> JS would be easier...but really, it's just that, for better or worse, Javascript has become a sort of lingua franca.

🤔 gotta wonder what reason one could possibly have for embedding a pile of javascrapt in a postgres database...

I prefer to think like this: “why not?”

😂

I've been a sysadmin for too long, now "what could possibly go wrong" is the reflex.

I've been a sysadmin for too long, now "what could possibly go wrong" is the reflex.
My reply was a bit in jest…

I was probably your worst nightmare, because I wonder the same question … then I really want to know what could go wrong 😂

I have been reading this entire thread in wonder.

I took Fortran IV in the spring semester of my freshman year, 1969. I can still summon in horror the memories of typing in each line of code, careful not to mistype (but I too often did), and then handing in a big stack of cards that would be run some time in the next few days. I have striven mightily in the ensuing years to forget all that pain.

Today, in planning a deco dive, I go to MultiDeco (unexpected plug, Ross--don't write me any nasty emails over this), put in the details, and read the results.

Someone earlier said to do the MultiDeco thing and then use the Shearwater to carry it out. I hope they realize they can plan it on the Shearwater and skip the MultiDeco. (Ooops!--Now Ross will be pissed.)

I took Fortran IV in the spring semester of my freshman year, 1969. I can still summon in horror the memories of typing in each line of code, careful not to mistype (but I too often did), and then handing in a big stack of cards that would be run some time in the next few days. I have striven mightily in the ensuing years to forget all that pain.

Today, in planning a deco dive, I go to MultiDeco (unexpected plug, Ross--don't write me any nasty emails over this), put in the details, and read the results.

Someone earlier said to do the MultiDeco thing and then use the Shearwater to carry it out. I hope they realize they can plan it on the Shearwater and skip the MultiDeco. (Ooops!--Now Ross will be pissed.)
Honestly, I can never wrap my head around the coding parts of this thread. Even the math makes more sense to me. 😂
Oftentimes I use Subsurface to play around with different dive profiles, and see what deco plan it gives. That’s the most programming I’ll do, along with my dive computer lol

:rofl3: Fortran is alive, well, and will compile Erik Baker's code today. Without punch cards it's only about 25% as painful as it used to be, which is about on par with javascript (but for different reasons), but is likely far more long-term stable and reliable than JS.

:rofl3: Fortran is alive, well

Since pretty much all high-performance linear algebra packages are still based on BLAS/LINPACK and all the trendy “ML” stuff is pretty much linear algebra in a wig, there’s probably more FORTRAN code used around the world than ever!

You, Sir, must be an optimist: these days everyone who's anyone does algebra in NumPy.

NumPy is MATLAB reimplemented in Python: two wrongs that make you wish you were writing FORTRAN with a deck of cards and a hand punch.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom