Deaths at Eagles Nest - Homosassa FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's no more a "cave diving accident" than driving a car at 80mph off the road and into a tree "a forestry mishap."

I'd suggest that rather than an accident it's aggravated manslaughter of a child, described in Florida 782.07 as follows "A person who causes the death of any person under the age of 18 by culpable negligence under s. 827.03(2)(b) commits aggravated manslaughter of a child, a felony of the first degree." (827.03 specifies culpable negligence as "An intentional act that could reasonably be expected to result in physical or mental injury to a child.")

It happened diving in a cave, so it was a cave diving accident (certainly the cave is not at fault, but the divers were at fault).

As to culpability, criminal negligence in case of a fatality to "take" an untrained diver (minor or otherwise, not cave trained) in a cave/overhead environment (it happens regularly in some locations like Palinuro in Italy and an Italian court has recently indicted a few instructors and a dive center).

Last edited:
I'm curious if anyone knows who sold him the tech gear? I just ask because it seems at least every shop I have brought doubles or stage bottles from have asked me show some type of certification that would show a understanding of tech driving.

Also no LDS I visit would let me buy a complete gear setup for a non diver knowingly.

Daru

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

If tech/cave shops asked for certifications my parents would have a hard time buying me Christmas presents! :D

I'm curious if anyone knows who sold him the tech gear? I just ask because it seems at least every shop I have brought doubles or stage bottles from have asked me show some type of certification that would show a understanding of tech driving.

Also no LDS I visit would let me buy a complete gear setup for a non diver knowingly.

Daru

Daru

Only card I've ever been asked for in a dive shop for anything is a Visa or Mastercard.

Daru

doubles and a stage is not necessarily tech gear. I'm not a technical diver, but all of my local dives are in a twinset, and if I'm doing 2 deep-ish back to back dives with no return to shore, I may have my stage as well.
and I've never been asked for a technical cert to get them filled. Neither has any other diver I know.

Daru

You can buy any gear you want without certification ... you don't even have to leave your home. And the only card you need will have been issued by a bank, not a certification agency.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I guess it must just be here in Florida or I pull off the "I'm a dummy with a visa" look a little to well. I get asked at every new LDS I visit about my Cert level

Daru

I guess it must just be here in Florida or I pull off the "I'm a dummy with a visa" look a little to well. I get asked at every new LDS I visit about my Cert level

Daru

Are you renting or buying? Our dive shop has told us (in regards to dry suits, specifically) that if you want to rent anything, they need a card. But you are welcome to buy anything you want, and what you do with it is your business. However, just in conversation (so they know what to steer you towards) they are going to ask about your experience/certs, and they might encourage you to not buy something if you shouldn't be using it.

At the end of the day, it's all scuba gear. As a retailer you can know the purpose of the gear, but you can't know intent of the customer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom