Dangerous purse-snatching incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Purse snatching is a common problem in so many places, and the scooter version is a common problem in a number of European cities. No reason to think Mexico in general or Cozumel specifically would be immune. Thank you for posting this here as many people, including divers, get into "vacation" mode and just don't think these things can happen, or just don't think about them. Your post may help someone take precautions and avoid having this happen.

I hope your wife recovers soon.

I would suggest solutions involving predator drones or a sting operation utilizing remotely detonated explosives concealed in purses. Not very realistic I suppose.

I would suggest solutions involving predator drones or a sting operation utilizing remotely detonated explosives concealed in purses. Not very realistic I suppose.

Your problem is over thinking. All you need is a few ordinary bank die packs. You could rig them to get so far from the 'victim' motol and boom. Ought to cause the moto thief to loose it. Then simply arrest the guys covered in dye, lying in the street. Tow the moto..... :)

many people, including divers, get into "vacation" mode

I think in her case it may have been the opposite. She has been comfortably ensconced at our house for close to two months, getting around on the motoneta, working with A/C repair dudes and electricians. I think she just started thinking of it as home and focused less on her surroundings since they were starting to become humdrum.

It's somewhat concerning that the neighborhood in which this occurred has 2 fancy early childhood enrichment places (Kindergym and Gymboree) and a generally quiet, family vibe. It's not at all touristy, though there's a significant norteamericano expat resident presence. The mugger was almost certainly there for this purpose rather than just being struck by a sudden impulse when he happened to see someone with a bag.

I would suggest solutions involving predator drones or a sting operation utilizing remotely detonated explosives concealed in purses.

I favor this solution.

Your problem is over thinking. All you need is a few ordinary bank die packs. You could rig them to get so far from the 'victim' motol and boom. Ought to cause the moto thief to loose it. Then simply arrest the guys covered in dye, lying in the street. Tow the moto..... :)

The idea is great, but might be a little hard to manage. The packs have to come off their magnetic plate to be activated, then go past a sensor to be set off. Now if you can figure out a way to manage all that in a purse, you can make a fortune!! :hehheh:

And having seen what happens if they have the pack in their hand - or in one case, down their pants - when it goes off, it isn't pretty!!! 'Pants' guy had to go to the hospital before going to jail!:shocked2:

The idea is great, but might be a little hard to manage. The packs have to come off their magnetic plate to be activated, then go past a sensor to be set off. Now if you can figure out a way to manage all that in a purse, you can make a fortune!! :hehheh:

And having seen what happens if they have the pack in their hand - or in one case, down their pants - when it goes off, it isn't pretty!!! 'Pants' guy had to go to the hospital before going to jail!:shocked2:

You just have to eliminate the door switch to activate the timer. That is just to get them outta the bank. I think we could rig a magnet setup on a moto. Start the time off the magnet. As for the results, I am sure their mothers told them not to put other people's money down their pants!

Of course if you don't like that we could just go with the old flashbag in the purse and tie the pin to the moto. Of course they might be picking bits of Coach outta them after.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind offers of help.

Tracy has had some assistance from people neither of us had met before except online and it's been very helpful. There have been more offers of help from here than she could possibly take up.

I also want to note that she's told me how very apologetic and helpful local residents (who, of course, have nothing to do the problem) have been. For example, the police translator gave her a lift to Sam's to get a suitcase since she won't be able to use her carry-on, then when neither Sam's nor Bodega Aurrera had any, back to Mega. The staff at the Clinica San Miguel urged her to make a police report and called police to the hospital. Every local she's come in contact with has bent over backward to help out.

With the exception of one excretory orifice on a scooter, everyone has exhibited all the qualities that have brought us back to Cozumel time and again. She has no regrets about buying a house there and remains excited about returning.

I am sure their mothers told them not to put other people's money down their pants!

You know, I've thought about this and I'm quite sure my mother never even mentioned the possibility of putting my own or anyone else's money down my pants, let alone any recommendations for or against the practice.

I'm thinking low tech. Use a dummy handbag. Partially fill a good sized balloon with liquefied puppy-poo, or any other substance that will satisfy the user, plus some dye. Rig the handbag flap to pop the balloon when opened. Use a balloon that will hold mucho pressure. Put out a BOLO for a guy with a yellow face that smells like $#!&. My understanding is the police in Mexico are not nearly as contentious about not violating citizens "rights" as we are here in the USA.

I'm thinking low tech. Use a dummy handbag. Partially fill a good sized balloon with liquefied puppy-poo, or any other substance that will satisfy the user, plus some dye. Rig the handbag flap to pop the balloon when opened. Use a balloon that will hold mucho pressure. Put out a BOLO for a guy with a yellow face that smells like $#!&. My understanding is the police in Mexico are not nearly as contentious about not violating citizens "rights" as we are here in the USA.

For what its worth, it seems they have a very high confession rate for some reason.

I haven't been to Cozumel since December, but in the month I was there I walked all over the island, and about half the time I was alone. Never a problem and I hadn't heard anything about the purse snatching. Maybe they weren't prevalent yet then?

I never carry a big bag, not even at home. On vacation I have a small purse with a long strap, and I always wear it slung across my body... a bit of an NYC habit I guess. If I can put what I need in my pockets (love cargo capris and shorts when on vacay :wink: ) then I don't even carry a purse.

I still feel Cozumel is much safer then a lot of places I vacation and have vacationed, but these days there's no place that's completely without crime. I don't know if it's a case of lack of employment opportunities for young people, or that certain groups of young people would rather sell drugs and be involved in petty crimes then go out and get a job. Just make sure not to check your common sense in with your luggage when you go on vacation, whether it's to Cozumel or elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom