Dangerous purse-snatching incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeremy's wife warned me about this when I was down earlier in the year but in the context of being a pedestrian. Young punks (probably drug addicts) grabbing women's purses as they zoom by on scooters done so quickly that they are not caught. The advice was to wear your purse across your body. And yes, it's a small island so I bet they are known to certain individuals.

It takes a real low-life scum to do this to a woman.

Given that it has been reported before, women will unfortunately have to take precautions.

First and foremost, prayers for your wife and the other woman to heal quickly. It is so wrong that this has happened. Also, I hope that those responsible will be caught and dealt with. The truth will come to light. In the meantime, public awareness will hopefully at least take out the element of surprise from the equation and remove the opportunity for these low lifes.

Just catching up with the Coz forum and this isn't good news.... Mark, I hope your wife recovers quickly..
I also hope this will be short lived and the trash doing it is shipped off the Island soon..
As everyone has said.. (No offense to anyone) Don't make yourself a potential target.. Stow anything that may be shiny to a crook, or make it not worth a potential struggle..

Oh, shoot. I'm glad she'll be OK. Can she get around now? Does she want anything from the outside world or company? (Like meals?!) Please PM your local phone# because I don't have it. I have a couple of commitments today but can call even if I can't get to your house right away. Please tell her that a person who's been there/done that advises that it really, really helps to accept these offers! Thanks.

Obviously VERY disturbing to hear. Someone needs to start raising hell about this!!
I'm an acupuncturist here on the island. Please let me know if she's in any pain - I would be more than happy to help her.
I sent you a private message with my phone numbers. Let me know if she needs anything like food delivery or something - or just good old fashioned moral support. I also live close by and have a car here.
Jen

I just got off the phone with my wife, who's made it back to the house. She's beat up but, apart from the fracture, OK.

She's the first gringa they've seen at the hospital, but they told her they've been getting more everday of women injured in incidents just like this. The woman with the skull fracture actually turns out to have a significant traumatic brain injury.

I still don't know where it happened.

---------- Post added ----------

Me, too, but I don't know what police would be able to do here, either - the would-be snatchers zoomed off. There are thousands of young men on scooters most of whom are minding their own business, so unless a cop happens to witness one of these events I'm not really sure what they could do.

call in outside assistance, perhaps the Bonaire police could help ?

It's a rather deliberate dig at Bonaire's inability or seeming lack of willingness to deal with theft problems on the island.

Hope your wife heals quickly and fully.

Back
Top Bottom