Dangerous psychology- Diving beyond one's training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your skiing the cornice at the top of the Left Gulley on mountaineering skis, your a better man than I am.
When I was in my mid teens I was a better man than both of us, somehow, I'd guess that at that age you were too.

Hmmm...GADiver posting videos for "friends"- yet putting the site up here - would not be what I considered "responsible'. Sometimes, it's what you don't know you don't know that gets you in trouble. Sometimes not knowing the risks, while something may "look easy" leads to a potential body recovery. A few years back, I was in Key Largo, and some divers lost their lives doing a penetration dive on the Grove. I seem to recall none were trained in it. Lack of knowledge of silt-outs, lost line recovery, etc. can lead to full blown panic and, sadly, loss of life.

Yes, people think "thrill seekers" assess the risks. Maybe, maybe not. As a for-instance, people doing full cave penetrations without the requisite training may get lucky. Not knowing the rule of 1/3rds, not having a redundant system, not having the proper lights, etc. doesn't mean you might not do a few dives safely. But risk analysis is all about what happens when things do go wrong, then developing procedures to minimize that risk as much as possilble. But to blindly say that the "cave diving community" has a lot of unnecessary rules is kind of an ignorant statement. If you look at the cave death statistics, they have dramatically gone down for trained divers. The same cannot be said for others (and I am including penetration diving in this group).

Sadly, the bodies that have to be recovered do nothing but endanger other's lives. Is this worth posting the video to puff up your self-esteem, or for bragging rights? Sorry, but I think such attitudes are both ignorant AND stupid.

...and by the way: little Timmy actually was down a well. I just left him there, serves him right for going in without running a line.:cool2:

I don't mind you leaving him there, serves him right, but could you shut up the dog; I'm trying to nap.

Bob

I think I do this every time I remove a condom cath.

You're supposed to take them off? Anyways, it certainly has improved my aim.

Neither - I'm Dale (Diving and learning everywhichway)

Spent an hour in 45 degree water today with a leaky drysuit. No need to worry about the c catheter anymore - shrinkage took care of that.

I don't mind you leaving him there, serves him right, but could you shut up the dog; I'm trying to nap.

Bob

Leaving a body inside a cave is bad form. Besides it being a distraction and potential obstruction for other divers, you can actually taste the decay through your regulator ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Without getting into a measuring contest, I will just say that you're mistaken. And while I'm not a public safety diver, having spent ten years as a lifeguard and LGI before my current career, I'm unimpressed by your attempt to educate me as to the realities of rescue/recovery situations in general.

Ha ha ha! A lifeguard. Trust me, the police call the cave divers for the body recoveries in Florida.

Ha ha ha! A lifeguard. Trust me, the police call the cave divers for the body recoveries in Florida.

That's nice. I'm quite sure they are free to decline the invitation. And as I've already said, if it's someone's job to do rescues/retrievals, they're always free to find a different job. There are plenty of great reasons to not dive like a :censored:ing idiot -- one's moral obligation to think of rescue/recovery divers are not among them.

/digression from thread topic

Job or no job.. the impact on rescue services should not be disregarded as irrelevant to the issues at hand. People get into the emergency/rescue services because they care about other people. Too many good people are lost, injured or just plain burned out in these fields. They should not be "wasted" by having to rescue/retrieve people who got themselves into trouble as a result of downright foolish behavior. I resent communities loosing competent caring and highly trained people unnecessarily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom