DAN Members, DAN Insurance, are you, do you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, highest coverage. It is worthwhile in my opinion.

No and no.Aqua-med Insurance. (Worldwide, annual, coverage to the full extent of my qualification, no excess)

Yes and Yes for myself and wife.

I've had friends tout how great their medical insurance is and they don't need DAN. :shakehead: What if you needed extended chamber time and medically attended transportation home? I doubt plain old medical insurance is gonna cover that! Who pays for your spouse to fly down to where you are and back again? Who covers all the 'unknown' charges associated with a medical emergency and/or prematurely cancelled vacation?

You know, I can only HOPE that I'm throwing a couple hundred dollars a year down the drain. I never want to learn first hand how good DAN is.

Reactions: Jax
No and no.Aqua-med Insurance. (Worldwide, annual, coverage to the full extent of my qualification, no excess)
DAN is different in the US & Canada, whereas your needs and resources are different there.

Any major differnce between the PADI and DAN insurance? Just curious. Tahnks
Uh, yeah. DAN offers Dive Accident Insurance, unlike Padi. :confused:

I have been for many years. Recently, I have had doubts about the coverage. I respect Thall's knowledge (God...don't let me be confused). We just joined Dive Assure as they are primary insurance VS secondary. My insurance broker, an X Navy diver and very smart guy with federal health savings accounts, recommended them. I really am confused. I would love to know, but have trouble getting real facts. I started a thread but felt the questions were either too hot to handle or ....? something.

Often, I just trust other people, I admit that.

Yet...something about DAN, of late, has really turned me off. I think the testimonial we discussed recently about the 200 ft bounce guy who claimed all kinds of symptoms and yet was gushing about the emotional support he got worried me a little.

hey..I don't have any facts but it did not sound right.

Then someone told me that you are talking to an EMT basic when you call, using a checklist. Now..that worries me too. Okay...maybe they have a protoccol, but still...I can do better than that, on my own.

I called once and got some iffy advice. The "call DAN" chants scare me a little. It's like they can do no wrong and they and their process is untouchable.

The last posting on their website really sort of left me dumbfounded. To this day, I beleive I must have missed something.
I really don't understand that at all. Sure, you talk to a medic first if you call, then to an expert dive physician if needed - kinda like walking into ER on your own. If you were seriously injured and/or unable to talk for yourself, you'd get to a physician much faster - on the DAN call or in the ER. And you can still call DAN for phone help even with Dive Assure for insurance, whether you are a DAN member or not. Imperfect they may be, but still the best.

And it doesn't matter really to you if your dive insurance is primary with Dive Assure or secondary with DAN. Either will still guarantee payments, wire funds if needed, whatever you need at the time. Later, DAN will want reimbursements from your primary medical coverage if you have such and it will pay, or Dive Assure will split the costs with your primary, but it's just billing.

DAN Master, no insurance. I dont insure my dive equipment.

A lot of help here. I'm looking to get DAN insurance soon. I'm taking an international trip in May. I'm looking at the Master insurance policy. If i do, is it still necessary to get a trip insurance policy?! DAN's website and my dive shop's paperwork for the trip is confusing me.

DAN Master, no insurance. I dont insure my dive equipment.
Uh, since DAN Master is dive insurance, I guess you mean you have that but no gear or camera insurance? I wouldn't dive without DAN dive insurance, but I don't care for any of their other insurance products either. I have home coverage that includes my gear to an extent, and I take trip insurance when I leave the country - which includes some property coverage.
A lot of help here. I'm looking to get DAN insurance soon. I'm taking an international trip in May. I'm looking at the Master insurance policy. If i do, is it still necessary to get a trip insurance policy?! DAN's website and my dive shop's paperwork for the trip is confusing me.
That would depend on your other coverages, feelings about risk, ability to withstand losses, etc. I went to Cozumel once with a forum organized group and we had discussed trip insurace well in advance. The trip went on even tho a major hurricane was headed that way, I guess we were all betting it would veer off - but it didn't, so we all escaped by however we could fly out. Some were out major bucks, uninsured, and were not pleased when reminded that they had chose to save money and not take trip insurance. :mad: Since then, one of those had to evacuate Coz again, but had taken insurance sold by the airline - which sucked. My medical insurance is no good out of country, so I always go with TravelSafe.com.

The check arrived roughly 3 weeks from the time of submission. Wow!

State Farm, three days and my new D300s (replaced my d200) was ordered from B&H! Now THAT is service. These UW insurance Co's blow even if three weeks is very reasonable. I have heard horrible stories about Depp.....

BTW why are we posting on a 7 year old thread?

Yep, if you want camera or gear insurance, can't beat State Farms Personal Articles Policies except that it's not available in some states. Look into it tho. I loved it, until I had too many claims one year. :blush:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom