DAN Insurance Changes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe Dive Assure dropped the entire USA several years back. This may be the beginning of DAN pulling out specific markets in the USA. If I remember Dive Assure (primary as opposed to secondary insurance) was having problems with underwriters. It would be helpful if DAN would explain the reason behind this, some of the possibilities that come to mind:
A) Excessive claims for the specific geographical region due to conditions?
B) A sudden increase in the cost of treatment?
C) Chambers closed to divers causing an increase in evac's?
D) Recent lawsuits?
E) Washington state regulators or legislators did something stupid?

DAN is a business and it is a business many divers rely upon, if for some reason the standard plan is no longer viable for Washington state it would be nice to know if this the beginning of a trend that may spread to other states.

DAN offers 4 policies, Guardian, Preferred, Master, and Standard. A policy or combination of polices are offered in each of the 50 states. Check out their website. Appears to be state law.

DAN offers 4 policies, Guardian, Preferred, Master, and Standard. A policy or combination of polices are offered in each of the 50 states. Check out their website. Appears to be state law.
DAN has 4 "labels" for the various products it sells. There may be many more than 4 different products.

DAN is not an insurance company. It white labels and sells a product provided by a real insurance company. It could (likely does?) resell products from more than 1 insurance company.

If the insurance company figures out that it is losing money (for any reason) the insurance company will withdraw that product.

DAN has 4 "labels" for the various products it sells. There may be many more than 4 different products.

DAN is not an insurance company. It white labels and sells a product provided by a real insurance company. It could (likely does?) resell products from more than 1 insurance company.

If the insurance company figures out that it is losing money (for any reason) the insurance company will withdraw that product.
Why don't you ask DAN and let us know what you find out

Why don't you ask DAN and let us know what you find out
Those are confidential internal business details. It would be like expecting to call up GM and have them divulge why they cancelled the EV1..

Those are confidential internal business details. It would be like expecting to call up GM and have them divulge why they cancelled the EV1..
Well, then I guess each of us can simply choose between the plans offered in our respective states. Canada is pretty simple, 3 plan options for the whole country

I'm told I'll get a letter by the end of the month with what options they can offer me. The insurance company in NY that underwrites DAN insurance has advised them that certain policies are now unavailable in some markets. There are many states effected, to different degrees.

If you go to the website and enter your state you will see what plans are available to you. Different states have different plans. Some states have the same plans as usual, some have new plans. The new plans are more expensive. Shocking.

In Washington State, the only plan available is 'Guardian'. It's almost TWICE the cost of my previous plan. I haven't had time to compare coverage, but I have a bad feeling it's not the same. Not blaming DAN here, it's the whole insurance disaster in the US. It obviously has something to do with state insurance laws because it's different for each state.

We leave on April 1st for a short 1 week trip. We have a lot to get done this trip, so maybe I won't try to fit in a day of diving until I can figure this out.

I'm told I'll get a letter by the end of the month with what options they can offer me. The insurance company in NY that underwrites DAN insurance has advised them that certain policies are now unavailable in some markets. There are many states effected, to different degrees.

If you go to the website and enter your state you will see what plans are available to you. Different states have different plans. Some states have the same plans as usual, some have new plans. The new plans are more expensive. Shocking.

In Washington State, the only plan available is 'Guardian'. It's almost TWICE the cost of my previous plan. I haven't had time to compare coverage, but I have a bad feeling it's not the same. Not blaming DAN here, it's the whole insurance disaster in the US. It obviously has something to do with state insurance laws because it's different for each state.

We leave on April 1st for a short 1 week trip. We have a lot to get done this trip, so maybe I won't try to fit in a day of diving until I can figure this out.
You might want to look into an alternative company-- like Dive Assure?

You might want to look into an alternative company-- like Dive Assure?
From Dive Assure.....
upload_2018-3-23_15-21-52.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom