Question Dan Insurance for 65+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norwegian Cave Diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are Canadians with free healthcare while we are anywhere in Canada. We purchase from our insurance provider (house business vehicle) separate health insurance for North America as 12 month policies. Since my wife has turned 65 this year and I will turn 65 later this year, our insurance provider will no longer sell us the travel policies.
We also have DAN insurance Family Plan - I am a Diver with a Guardian Plan - wife with a non-diver plan.
Anybody knowledge on how DAN Canada would insure us?

We are Canadians with free healthcare while we are anywhere in Canada. We purchase from our insurance provider (house business vehicle) separate health insurance for North America as 12 month policies. Since my wife has turned 65 this year and I will turn 65 later this year, our insurance provider will no longer sell us the travel policies.
We also have DAN insurance Family Plan - I am a Diver with a Guardian Plan - wife with a non-diver plan.
Have you asked DAN?

There are options other than your home insurance provider (potentially better options? Ymmv).

We have never used our home insurance provider for travel insurance. When we lived in Ontario we used an annual travel product from Blue Cross. Very comprehensive coverage and never an issue with claims. It was not the lowest priced product.

When we moved to BC the local Blue Cross organization proved difficult to deal with so we currently use individual annual BCAA for our travel insurance needs (over 60 and BCAA will not provide a "family" policy, only individual).

Hi
I am 65 and my wife now 71.. I questioned my wifes this year with Dan as it does state up to 70. They confirmed as long as cover has been continuous she is still covered:)

I was in the Bahamas last week and got the Bends, I was taken to Rock port Urgent care accessed and then flown to Nassau, while in the Hospital I racked up a 15,000 Hospital bill which I had to pay and the other center got me for 920.00 bucks! Add another $7,500.00 for a 20 minute flight to the Hospital in Nassau, from Rockport Eleuthera Bahamas, I was also placed in the Chamber for 3 hrs., according to DAN Travel assist once they get all the receipts, doctors reports , hospital EOB, I get all my Moneys back, I have coverage up to 150.000 dollars , better keep that DAN up to date, better get a good credit card with a High Balance of a least 45,000 just for emergencies. These third and second world countries dont care about your insurance, you are a visitor , non citizen and they would not even see me until I gave them $8,000
The DAN insurance is International and you are covered, just do due diligence and keep up all your receipts or you wont get your money back!!!

After getting back from this nightmare of a trip, I feel like I'm in a FOG, I just feel weird at times! Is this normal after getting the BENDS? I'm not having any symptoms that I had before , I just dont feel like my old self! Maybe I'm experiencing some anxiety from all of this? PTSD from the BENDS! My wife does not want me to dive anymore after this happening, so I have decided to sell all my gear, I just bought all new gear in October, new reg, new BCD, new fins, new mask, new wetsuit, the whole setup! After 30 years Im just going to hang it up! I just dont think I can ever sick a regulator in my mouth again! When I think about diving it scares me to death!

Back
Top Bottom