Insurance Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jakatz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning my first dive trip back to CI since the pandemic began and trying to understand and pick the best insurance options. In the period since the pandemic, I became eligible and switched to Medicare, which I understand does not provide medical insurance coverage outside the US, however the MA IND Medicare Supplement 1A Plan I added includes foreign travel. My DAN membership is currently the Enhanced Master which I intend to upgrade to the Preferred or Guardian prior to the trip. From what I’ve read, I believe that DAN recently added some extended Covid protection, but it does not apply to MA residents. I have never before purchased travel insurance, but considering it this time more for the possible extra medical and isolating expenses if my wife or I were to catch Covid and need to extend our trip as opposed to the typical trip cancellation / delay / lost luggage / car rental coverage. I’ve read and am somewhat confused by the insurance posts here and hoping for some clarification and recommendations, Trawick and Allianz seem to be mentioned the most. My goal is to be fully covered medically and for as much of the trip costs as it makes financial sense to.

Thanks!

Whatever plan you go with, make sure you check the plan details carefully for scuba limitations. Last I checked, Trawick said that diving >60' deep or without a dive master wasn't covered. But if you're going to have DAN coverage as well, the Trawick scuba limitations probably don't matter.

TripInsuranceStore is a good website to search for insurance. When I've called them they've been very helpful.

I have DAN Guardian and enhanced coverage for dive insurance. Covered by Tricare (retired military). I use Travel Guard for travel insurance. Been doing this for a number of years. Had to submit a claim with Travel Guard and it went well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom