DAN gets attacked by commercial spammer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The whole thing is simple for me. Now that I know that there is an issue in Cabo, I'll just schedule my dives elsewhere ... and there are plenty of other places to dive.

If the Cabo dive operators want my business, then they had better get the local chamber to reconsider its stance.

PaulChristenson:
Yes...I agree...I like you found out The Bahamas don't take DAN, so I just ponied the money up for another policy with Dive Assure...

Paul in VT

Well am I suprised:-(

Dive Assure it turns out has several states where they do not provide insurance...
Lousiana, Maryland, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Vermont and West Virginia

Paul in VT

PaulChristenson:
Well am I suprised:-(

Dive Assure it turns out has several states where they do not provide insurance...
Lousiana, Maryland, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Vermont and West Virginia

Paul in VT

Check out the other agencies. I'm sure one of them sells policies in your State.

This release popped up on DAN's website a couple days ago. (Here's the link, and the release below). It seems to kind of conflict with what ONESPEED posted earlier.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/ne...asp?newsid=723

=====================

News & Events
DAN Addresses Concerns About Insurance Coverage

Dan Orr, DAN President and CEO, Tuesday issued the following statement, addressing concerns among members about insurance coverage.

"DAN strongly emphasizes that we support our members. In the unlikely event of a diving injury, be assured that if any DAN member were to be referred to a chamber, their DAN diving accident insurance and membership will apply.

"If the chamber is one of the nine (9) facilities referred to in the press release from SSS Corporate Headquarters, SSS has stated, categorically, they DO accept the DAN diving accident insurance.

"If a DAN member were to be referred to one of the three (3) facilities that have stated they do not support DAN and will not accept insurance purchased with DAN membership (the SSS Chambers in Nassau, Cabo San Lucas or Cancun), DAN will nevertheless work to assure that the DAN members are covered.

"Although DAN maintains that the charges at these three facilities are in excess of reasonable and customary charges, divers should not be caught in the middle of this dispute.

"To ensure that the divers are not caught in the middle, effective immediately, DAN's insurer will coordinate with the SSS chambers in Nassau, Cabo San Lucas or Cancun to cover all treatment charges.

"When the injured DAN member or their representative contacts DAN using the diving emergency hotline, DAN will liaise with the chamber to arrange immediate payment. DAN will continue to do so until there has been a resolution to this dispute. Rest assured, DAN continues to seek an amicable resolution.

If anyone is bothered by this, I suggest that you contact DAN directly. I have contacted DAN and received a satisfactory explanation.

Rather than be a supplier of third hard information, I will not quote my conversation with DAN; but, suggest that anyone interested contact DAN directly.

George A

Post 117, 5,028 views as of this instant...

I hesitated even starting this thread, as I hate to give these cranks a measure of credibility, you can read what they sent... smells like nagative campaign ads... they're attacking DAN on arguably true yet irrelevant grounds. Hey... it's an insurance company with a cute flag- were you expecting your Uncle Wally? Maybe the kindly chamber ops should make their financial records available as well? This is hooliganism.

That being said- here's the latest pile of hot steaming e-mail (as of 1730 hrs CST 9 March 2006):

From: SSS Network <communications@sssnetwork.com> Save Address Reminder

To: RoatanMan
Subject: More Recompression Chambers Stop Accepting DAN America's Insurance
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 23:26:02 +0000

For Immediate Release

EFFECTIVE MARCH 9, 2006, AND UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, DAN America dive insurance is
no longer accepted for payment at hyperbaric chambers in following dive
destinations:

Bahamas
Baja California
Belize
Cancun
Cozumel
Galapagos
Phuket, Thailand
Playa del Carmen
Samui, Thailand
Yucatan, Mexico

All divers carrying DAN America dive insurance and diving in these locations
should be prepared to pay out-of-pocket for any medical service rendered,
because these chambers will not accept DAN America&#8217;s insurance or DAN America&#8217;s
credit card as a method of payment. Hyperbaric chambers in other locations are
currently considering joining this group and not accepting DAN America
insurance.

This consortium of chambers has been forced to sue DAN America in federal court
in the United States due to unpaid medical claims, some dating as far back as
2004. The financial burden of not being paid has forced several chambers in
remote locations to consider closing down. In order to remain open, these chambers can no longer treat DAN America patients and not
be paid.

Of note, while DAN America is a non-profit research organization based in the
US, its insurance product is underwritten/re-insured by a for-profit
organization that is wholly-owned by DAN America called Accident & General
Insurance Ltd., based in the Cayman Islands. DAN America has claimed a rate
dispute as the reason for non-payment, saying that the rates are above what DAN
America considers reasonable and customary in the locality. However, major
medical insurers (including Blue Cross Blue
Shield, Humana, Prudential and Kaiser Permanente), DAN Europe, DAN Southern
Africa, DAN SEAP as well as all other dive insurers have accepted these same
rates as appropriate and paid their bills.

This action only applies to DAN America insurance and not any other insurance
coverage including DAN Europe, DAN Southern Africa, DAN Japan or DAN SEAP.

For further information regarding DAN America&#8217;s for-profit subsidiaries, please see the last 5 pages of their latest IRS tax filing here:
http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2004/561/696/2004-561696689-1-9.pdf

For further information regarding DAN America&#8217;s performance as a non-profit
organization, please see the report from Charity Navigator, an independent
evaluator of non-profits, who gives DAN America an overall rating of one out of
four stars:
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/search.summary/orgid/6487.htm

For further information, please contact communications@sssnetwork.com

Received: from www1.sssecure.net ([72.3.230.4])
by worldnet.att.net (mtiwmxc14) with SMTP
id <200603092326020140033l5ue>; Thu, 9 Mar 2006 23:26:02 +0000
X-Originating-IP: [72.3.230.4]
Received: (qmail 10872 invoked by uid 48); 9 Mar 2006 17:26:01 -0600
Date: 9 Mar 2006 17:26:01 -0600
Message-ID: <20060309232601.10871.qmail@www1.sssecure.net>
To: RoatanMan
Subject: More Recompression Chambers Stop Accepting DAN America's Insurance
Reply-To: communications@sssnetwork.com
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Mailer-ListID: 1
Content-Type: text/plain

Well, the plot thickens. I wonder if DAN will add the additional clinics to their guarantee statement on their website.

This information is on their website. Now let me ask the question, if you were scheduled to dive in and around Phuket in 6 days, and you carried DAN insurance, would you trust that DAN would indeed wire money to the chamber there if God forbid, you needed it? Or would you buy new insurance for the trip?

http://www.sssnetwork.com/

No. The old information is on their website. It does not address the new chambers that don't take their insurance.

As to your question: I was going to the Bahamas in 2 weeks when this originally came to light. I bought additional insurance from DiveAssure that covers me anywhere. I won't be renewing my DAN insurance when it expires.

fairybasslet:
This information is on their website. Now let me ask the question, if you were scheduled to dive in and around Phuket in 6 days, and you carried DAN insurance, would you trust that DAN would indeed wire money to the chamber there if God forbid, you needed it? Or would you buy new insurance for the trip?

http://www.sssnetwork.com/

Back
Top Bottom