DAN gets attacked by commercial spammer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt, what Undercurrents' article fails to mention is that DAN Europe, DAN South East Asia, DAN Japan and DAN Southern Africa all have said agreements regarding fees for treatments, while DAN America's offer to pay the same fees was rejected by SSS.

Maybe you can explain to me why the treatment of American residents is more expensive than the treatment of European residents?

Before I throw out my DAN card I rather dive somewhere I won't get ripped off. :bluthinki

You can always try some other insurance, though DAN America isn't the first rejected by SSS. Also remember, DAN's insurance is secondary, covering what your primary health Insurance doesn't cover, within reason.

DiveAssure seems failry popular. If you go for that, though, make sure yu read the small print and inquire about their mystirous "Master Application" that seems to be rather elusive. Among other thinngs it covers the maximum depth you can dive, yet no one is able to give or read you a copy. :06: Yet all plans refer to it. Also, they require preauthorization for emergency evacuations, exclude dive professionals, etc.

Here a Dive Assure's comparison (pdf) between DAN and their coverage.

Last but not least, remember that DAN and DAN America fund a lot of very valuable research. That in and by itself is worth the DAN membership and insurance. I have yet to hear that either DA or SSS have produced any research in that respect.

Just MHO

divematt:
Looks like I'm about a week late on this topic as I just noticed by reading the "Basic Scuba Discussion" and this has all been discussed there. I'd like like the names of alternatives if anyone has some anyway.

Before you start balking at DAN maybe you should get all the facts first.

What is happening is this chamber company is treating divers for anything and everyting. Then turning around and attempting to charge DAN for these unneccessary treatments. This has been clearly documented by DAN and I'm sure will come out in the court case.

fishhunta:
I guess I should clarify that they did one very biased peice that stuck me as poor journalism, so to me they lost alot of credibility. I won't de-rail this thread, so back on topic......Still waiting to see if I should make the switch to diveassure.

I had a DAN claim for a cut on my ankle while diving a wreck. They paid the hospital withtin a month, that is my only personal experience with them....

Don't know anything about Diveassure. I use PADI. I hope they are as good as DAN. Does anyone have any experience with PADI dive ins.

Before we get totally off track, does everyone get TRIP INS or avoid it?

Talking about health insurance. Here (in Poland) the system is different, and hyperbaric treatment is covered.
The fanniest thing is life insurance. So my life insurance company raised my risk level not because of diving but horse riding!!!
They said the probability of an accident is much higher for horse riding than diving.
Funny isn't it?
Mania

divematt:
, I'm only looking for the names of their competitors here so I can change my insurance.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Here you go

PADI, DiveAssure, DiveSafe & DSI.

Not really, Mania, those things BITE !!!!

the K

mania:
Talking about health insurance. Here (in Poland) the system is different, and hyperbaric treatment is covered.
The fanniest thing is life insurance. So my life insurance company raised my risk level not because of diving but horse riding!!!
They said the probability of an accident is much higher for horse riding than diving.
Funny isn't it?
Mania

Yes, horse riding is more unpredicable. If you stay within dive limits, diving is a safe sport. Life ins is totally another proposition.

mania:
Funny isn't it?
Mania
It's not funny at all ... your scuba equipment doesn't have a mind of its own. However limited a horse's mind may be, it does lend a degree of unpredictability that you just don't get when you're making all the decisions yourself ... :05:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The Kraken:
Not really, Mania, those things BITE !!!!

the K

They don't!!!!!
They kick - yeah if you approach them from their back. But bite, no....
But one thing is true - may not be predictable...
Still I love them
Mania

I'm not sure this is either surprising or such a big deal.

Any organization that acts globally is likely to run into vendor disputes somewhere where a vendor tries to hold organization's customers hostage for leverage. That seems to be what's going on here.

From everything I've read DAN is not denying coverage: they're arguing a provider who seems to be gouging. In doing so, their fighting for their policyholders.

The only lesson I take from this is to boycott the dive market where this clinic is operating. I take from this: Boycott Mexican Dive Operations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom