DAN Dive insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove with a lady in Coz last year that had to use the chamber. She said it cost her $1,000.00/ hour plus meds/IV's. She ran up over $11,000.00 in two days. She was vacationing for two weeks, and unable to dive after the second day. Now that in itself would make you sick. Get the insurance !!

Greetings Robert and I am glad to hear of your interest in being prepared for your trip especially out of country. D.A.N. is the way to go on many levels the first of which is piece of mind. This agency is about assisting divers in need and they do just that!
I have used my membership and have only great things to say about the outcomes.
I have never personally had a emergency but been around several where I spoke direct with D.A.N.
My family is covered by D.A.N. and the best money you will ever spend and hopefully never use. GET IT AND DO NOT DOUBT!
Safe diving and have fun on vacation.
CamG Keep diving....Keep training....keep learning!

Great idea!!!. For an out of country trip I'd definitely go with the highest plan.
Note: It's not just for out of country piece of mind ... get for here too .... you can never know when you might need it

I have the DAN Master plan for me and my entire family. I hope I never need it, but then again, I have used my medical insurance on a few occasions, not exactly by plan.

Good diving, Craig
I have some personal experience with someone that had a severe diving accident, right here in her own back yard , thank goodness, she had the highest level of DAN insurance , She is many 100's of thousands of dollars glad that she did have it
I thought that having the Master Plan and maybe upgrading to the Preferred Plan before a trip would be OK ... She has firmly convinced me of having the Preferred Plan at all times

Considering DAN is non-profit, I feel much less ripped off purchasing it than other insurance (which is inherently a ripoff for the consumer, the only time insurance is statistically a "good deal" is if the insurer is losing more in claims than getting in premiums). DAN also does a lot of good for the diving community, so I don't mind helping them get some cash flow by buying their "product".

Relative to the cost of any diving accident DAN insurance is very cheap. Not to mention the fact that they offer help for travel rearrangements and lost gear due to covered diving accidents. At $35 a year, if an accident occurs and someone cuts my BP/W off and looses it... having DAN cover that equipment alone covers the cost of DAN for 10 years.

I have DAN's best plan, travel insurance, gear insurance, and soon I will have life insurance. Murphy's Law...

I thought dan was a joke...

Then I heard about D_B's friend's accident.

I have DANs middle plan... Well worth it imho. I make sure ALL my dive buddies I dive with have it now...

Its almost a part of my dive brief, weights, air on, dan card accesible...
Posted via Mobile Device

As this is an international board, it's worth pointing out that DAN in each region is an autonomous body offering its own insurance packages. These vary vastly between regions. All the above thread is about DAN Americas.

You would be surprised to hear about the number of people how get sick / dcs or whatever while on holiday with no insurance be it health, travel, or dedicated diving insurance (30% or more).

In some places coming off a motorbike and requiring surgery ++ can cost you USD$4500 or more....
Hyperbaric Treatment for divers say 2 tables a TT6 + TT5 (USD$6900),
Evacuation flights can cost USD$60K and up depending on the length of the flight and whether the air craft needs to pressurised as close a practicable to 1 ATA.

When you sit down and work it out DAN insurance is real cheap the top plan is say AUD 230 or around $9 a fortnight (not even a pack of smokes in Australia).

As the majority state do not leave home without it (and choose your plans carefully).......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom