DAN Dive insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of dive boats, at least north of Georgia, require some form of dive insurance before you step onboard

This thread has been open for a while, but if there is any confusion, let me provide another data point. And of course, I am only a bit player here but our glorious Bunaken and Lembeh trip was not without its issues.

We had one person who tripped and messed up an ankle (couldn't dive until it got better), another got bit by a centipede on the back of the leg (the theory) and had to dive using only one leg and the most significant one, a thrid got a mysterious infection that went from knee to elbows, and finally to the ankles, with a fever along the way.

Any one of them could have been bad enough to end up in the hospital during their stay. And DAN would have been extremely beneficial. As for the infection, a picture of the infection was taken and sent to DAN doctors in the US to determine how crucial it was at that moment. We were all in the dark until we got a report back from the doctors.

Absolutely get one of the DAN plans, if for nothing else than for the piece of mind.
I didn't think any of these would be covered by DAN dive insurance, as they're not dive-related injuries?
Maybe; depends. DAN America does offer the Preferred or top level dive insurance that includes $10,000 USD coverage "for treatment of non-diving accidents outside home country," so if they had that plan, at least two of them would have been covered by that, perhaps the third depending on how he got the infection.

Additionally, if emergency evacuation had been needed, their membership would include "$100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage. Effective for both diving and non-diving injuries." And as mentioned, DAN consultations can be very helpful.

Nonetheless, I always take Trip Ins on international trips which would also cover all medical needs. DAN America offers a Trip plan but I get that elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom