DAN Dive insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems that there is a difference between the DAN insurance from Europe and other places as here even the basic one covers the extended travel for example: DAN Europe

:thumb: Thanks for bringing that up as this is an international board. Yeah, my comments were about DAN America. DAN Europe is very different.

:eek: You have over 100 dives without?! Well some people are well covered on other insurance and dive US waters only, but if otherwise on either point - wow, get it online quick! Remember, the mid level is minimum; I don't know why they still carry the bottom plan as it is such a dog for the price.

Yes and embarrassed to admit it.... but I did get it on line at the same time I posted that msg. Got the preferred plan.

Thanks for the info everyone, its been helpful.

Some more questions about DAN:
-do most people buy the Preferred Plan?
-should i get it straight off the DAN website or off the PADI site (i'm PADI certified)?
-is there a fee for joining DAN, or is the charge for the Preferred Plan of $70 the only fee?
-i'm going to Playa del Carmen for a diving vacation, is the DAN insurance good worldwide (live in Canada)?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the info everyone, its been helpful.

Some more questions about DAN:
-do most people buy the Preferred Plan?
-should i get it straight off the DAN website or off the PADI site (i'm PADI certified)?
-is there a fee for joining DAN, or is the charge for the Preferred Plan of $70 the only fee?
-i'm going to Playa del Carmen for a diving vacation, is the DAN insurance good worldwide (live in Canada)?

Thanks in advance!
I can offer my opinions...

1: The smallest plan is a poor choice, with the middle plan costing only $10 USD more but giving much more. The top plan offers the most coverage of course, but how you should chose between those two is your call.
click pic for larger: DAN Diving Accident Insurance Programs.jpg

2: There is no need to go thru any other site. DAN's site is the most direct.

3: There is an annual membership fee of $35 too, which includes a subscription to an excellent magazine and Travelers Assist. I'd suggest membership even if you insured elsewhere.

4: DAN is well accepted in the Cozumel & Playa del Carmer area. You might ask your operator which chamber they are affiliated with and does it accept DAN assigned benefits for diving accidents without other needs.

Do not dive outside of Canadian waters without DAN or similar dive accident insurance. Just too risky. Their gear and vacation insurance plans are poor choices in my opion, but that is another story; their dive accident insurance is great.

Don't think about it. get it! In 2003 I experienced a barracuda attack to the face which severed a few arteries and crushed most of the bone on right side of face. At the time I had a primary carrier and DAN. DAN picked up most of the tab, including emergency air home for wife and self. Etc, ect, ect. get it!!

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but "going for a ride" usually costs more than 10,000 buckskins, a LOT more if there is a chopper ride or any other emergency care. DAN is awesome, especially since they do ongoing dive medicine research and have a hotline that you can get up to date info on almost anything dive medicine related.

I am curious. I want to get DAN but am slightly confused by their plans. It is 25 to join, but then extra to get the actual insurance? This makes it 50 min per year. Am I correct in this speculation? What does the initial 25 get you?
Thanks fellow divers...
For helping a neophyte fight for safety and tech skills under the water!

I am curious. I want to get DAN but am slightly confused by their plans. It is 25 to join, but then extra to get the actual insurance? This makes it 50 min per year. Am I correct in this speculation? What does the initial 25 get you?
Thanks fellow divers...
For helping a neophyte fight for safety and tech skills under the water!
No, it's $35/year for membership for which you receive an excellent magazine, TravelAssist for up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage - effective for both diving and non-diving injuries, and more. See https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/benefits.asp

There is a $25/year dive accident plan but it pales in comparison to the $35/year middle plan that provides so much more. If you don't do the top one, at least do the middle one. See comparisons http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp

So minimum $70/year. :eyebrow:

DandyDon is correct
... and I'll add that I suggest strongly that people get the highest level they offer , Preferred ... for $5.83 a month , it's hard to justify not getting it

Cudabait, just saw you post on the attack...have you ever written a detailed account of exactly what happened? I'd really be curious to read it or hear more about it...if you don't mind sharing of course.

Having been face to face with alot of big Cudas over the years I've always been wary, but never had one come after me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom