DAN Dive insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robertcrockett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Im considering picking up some DAN coverage for a out of country dive trip and I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with DAN during a trip...Or if they think coverage is necessary. To me it appears well worth it just in case you had to ride the chamber a bit or something else unforseen came along

A friend had a heart attack while diving. Not what I'd call an actual diving accident. In my opinion it was realy a cigerettes and french fries accident. Besides being very luck to survive, his DAN insurance picked up a large chunk of the bill because it just happened to happen while he was diving. I think the carflite bill alone was 15g's. He definitely got his moneys worth. It's like any insurance, if you ever need it, you NEED it!

I just received my DAN membership card and took the preferred insurance plan as well. I think the price is reasonable for peace of mind.

Never had an emergency but I did feel I need to call and talk to DAN on Monday after I've got some pain in my right hip. Told them my dive profiles for past 48 hours and they suggested to see a regular doctor (not DCS due to very conservative dive plan) as I probably pulled a muscle. Guy on the phone was very nice and it sounded like he knew what he was talking about :)

It's like any insurance, if you ever need it, you NEED it!

Yes but I would rather pay and never need it :)

Great idea!!!. For an out of country trip I'd definitely go with the highest plan.

I am normally a cheap bastard and avoid extra insurance, extended warranties, etc...like the plague. However, after reviewing the potential issues arising from an out of country diving accident, it was pretty clear it was well worth the cost not only for the cost issues, but also having someone with diving knowledge on your side who can hook you up with the proper medical care.

The core issue is the medical provider will want cash at time of services. Your insurance provider will tell you to pay and they will reimburse you at their customary and reasonable rate when they feel like it. Of course, what they believe is resonable and what the medical provider charges can be significantly different. You are stuck with the difference. You have no real power to negotiate or go to court for justuce. You are totally screwed. At least with DAN you have a fighting chance.

Buy it, for all the reasons already mentioned and then some. Even if you don't need it, the peace of mind is nice and they provide a tremendous service for all divers (since they do field calls from non-members).

Their magazine, Alert Diver, has always been ok but lately they have made major improvements in it and it is now a real soild, "must read" dive magazine. DAN also has expanded their online services for info and help, as well as conducting a major ongoing safety/educational program around the world. No, I don't work for them but I see it's closing in on my renewal date--and I definitely will be renewing. DAN rocks. // ww

I have the DAN Master plan for me and my entire family. I hope I never need it, but then again, I have used my medical insurance on a few occasions, not exactly by plan.

Good diving, Craig

Call you local chamber and ask then what the going rate is for a ride.....I have DAN for that, hopefully I will never have to use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom