DAN Dive insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cudabait, just saw you post on the attack...have you ever written a detailed account of exactly what happened? I'd really be curious to read it or hear more about it...if you don't mind sharing of course.

Having been face to face with alot of big Cudas over the years I've always been wary, but never had one come after me.

Here is his thread on that http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/marine-life-ecosystems/33429-barracuda-attack.html
DandyDon is correct
... and I'll add that I suggest strongly that people get the highest level they offer , Preferred ... for $5.83 a month , it's hard to justify not getting it
To head off possible confusion at the pass, $5.83/month is the average cost of the top or Preferred plan not counting required membership. Combined, the average is $8.75/month. I suppose the original reason for the membership and insurance being separate involved underwriting rules, but whatever - get them together, or if you insure elsewhere then at least get the membership to support the organization and receive membership benefits.

Say a person has Preferred DAN and goes on a liveaboard in the South Pacific. During this trip, the person, a diver, gets very ill from infected ears. The infected ears were a result of diving. Would DAN pay to have that person taken to a hospital for treatment? How sick would he have to be to be flown home?

Similarly, imagine that a person was on a liveaboard diveboat in a remote country and had a heart attack. What would DAN's reponsibility be there?

And last, what if a person was taken ill, maybe food poisoning, in a resort?
Thanks.

Say a person has Preferred DAN and goes on a liveaboard in the South Pacific. During this trip, the person, a diver, gets very ill from infected ears. The infected ears were a result of diving. Would DAN pay to have that person taken to a hospital for treatment? How sick would he have to be to be flown home?

Similarly, imagine that a person was on a liveaboard diveboat in a remote country and had a heart attack. What would DAN's reponsibility be there?

And last, what if a person was taken ill, maybe food poisoning, in a resort?
Thanks.
Some of this would depend on where you live, which you have omitted on your profile. For DAN Dive Insurance sold in North America (they have other products and DAN varies around the world), the insurance coverage is for dive accidents. The ears might be covered if it was from a pressure injury; for swimmers ear, use prevention with alcohol & vinegar mix. I really do not know if DAN would consider the cardiac event dive related?

However, for DAN America, membership includes 24-Hour DAN TravelAssist
As a DAN Member, you automatically receive DAN TravelAssist and up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage. Effective for both diving and non-diving injuries, this benefit is provided by AIG Travel Assist, a world leader in emergency evacuation services. Your evacuation coverage begins when you are traveling at least 50 miles/80 km from home and call DAN TravelAssist to arrange your evacuation.
Still, that's for injuries. I take additional Trip Insurance for any international trip that includes generous medical coverages and evacuations for non-accident medical needs. You can get trip medical insurance only with some companies, again depending on which state you reside, but I use a comprehensive plan from TavelSafe.com - available in all states.

We have the prefered and I wouldn't dive without it ...most private insurance co. don't cover a chamber..Unlike here in the USA, if you get injured abroad and you can't pay, they won't treat you..

Ive had DAN for many years and only have used it once...I broke my foot while diving locally...the foot was put in a cast then i developed a bloodclot in the leg that went into my lungs..i spent 9 days in the hospital and then had to have expensive meds..after my private medical paid they're share I owed over $2,000 out of pocket...I contacted DAN and submitted a claim...they paid within a few weeks!..the only thing i should have done differently was present my DAN card as secondary coverage all along the way at the doctors and hospital...the delay in payment was because the hospital dragged their feet in sending DAN requested paper work (seems once they are paid they aren't in a hurry to help you recover funds)

Insurance is an obligation in some other countries. Surely! ensure your insured in all aspects. And never exceed your certification limits. Where are you planning to travel?

If your an OW Diver, Depending where you plan scuba diving. you'll need to be accompanied by an Advanced Diver or higher

If your insured presently, Confirm if your current plan covers. If may cover you worldwide.

Have fun and Enjoy!

Prepare, plan and dive!!!

Insurance is an obligation in some other countries. Surely! ensure your insured in all aspects. And never exceed your certification limits. Where are you planning to travel?

If your an OW Diver, Depending where you plan scuba diving. you'll need to be accompanied by an Advanced Diver or higher

If your insured presently, Confirm if your current plan covers. If may cover you worldwide.

Have fun and Enjoy!

Prepare, plan and dive!!!
That didn't make any sense.

I am NOT stalking your posts, but I see them here and there, and they are often very lame.

I think I know what he's talking about. I dove in Israel earlier this year and some form of diving insurance was required by law. I signed up for DAN which seems to be accepted worldwide, otherwise it would have been an additional $35 or so on the spot.

There was also mention of having a Dive Master present for diving in Eilat, at least in that location there is extreme concern about reefs. The Coral Beach location is a protected environment with special diving rules (no gloves??? no touch!). I'm not sure if it's a legal requirement or just recommended, I signed up for a guided tour anyway.

Every dive shop also required proof of recent dives (within 6 months) or they would require a "refresher" session, at additional cost. Current log book was sufficient. Possibly just another way to generate income, but the Israelis do seem to take their diving quite seriously...

- Dack

This thread has been open for a while, but if there is any confusion, let me provide another data point. And of course, I am only a bit player here but our glorious Bunaken and Lembeh trip was not without its issues.

We had one person who tripped and messed up an ankle (couldn't dive until it got better), another got bit by a centipede on the back of the leg (the theory) and had to dive using only one leg and the most significant one, a thrid got a mysterious infection that went from knee to elbows, and finally to the ankles, with a fever along the way.

Any one of them could have been bad enough to end up in the hospital during their stay. And DAN would have been extremely beneficial. As for the infection, a picture of the infection was taken and sent to DAN doctors in the US to determine how crucial it was at that moment. We were all in the dark until we got a report back from the doctors.

Absolutely get one of the DAN plans, if for nothing else than for the piece of mind.

We had one person who tripped and messed up an ankle (couldn't dive until it got better), another got bit by a centipede on the back of the leg (the theory) and had to dive using only one leg and the most significant one, a thrid got a mysterious infection that went from knee to elbows, and finally to the ankles, with a fever along the way... Any one of them could have been bad enough to end up in the hospital during their stay. And DAN would have been extremely beneficial

I didn't think any of these would be covered by DAN dive insurance, as they're not dive-related injuries?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom