Cutting Coral and Fish Picture Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I saw this thread, I was reminded of a post in this or another scuba board talking about a DWM dive master doing this exact same thing to a spendid toad (breaking the coral to "flush" it out"). It was definitely previous to this documented case. However, for the life of me, I can't find the post - did a search here, in travelnotes and in Rodale.

I just left an invitation to come here. Now, I promised that it wouldn't be a flame fest so if she shows lets all please be nice. We want to educate, not offend.
Joe

Response from DWM:

i am very very sorry about this matter and i will find today this dive
master and i will fired him . i am feeling so mad about this situation of
viloation oif marine park rules . you are right amigo . i will take good
care this matter .
againg thank you . thnak you . to be worry about this treatment of marine
life and our dive operation .

Natasha:
I agree. It would be great to do something to fine these people and prevent it from happening again. Any ideas where we can start?
I have reviewed the entire collection of photos posted by this fellow - seems to be a nice California guy, loving family man etc...
I don't see any evil intent or pattern of horrible behavior here. What I do see is (1) ignorance, and (2) most of the really "bad" behavior is by the dive guide.
My bet is that if this fellow and his diving companions were to join me or you on a single trip, they'd champion non-destructive diving as a natural consequence. So I don't think a fine is in order - they're only doing as they were trained, and following the example of the "experts."
Rick
----
Well, now, I was mistaken - I looked at only one of the collections, and not the worst one - in some of 'em there's more than simple ignorance afoot, and a fine may indeed be in order.
Rick

I attempted to call earlier, but Martin was not available, however, I just spoke with him.

Martin would like to tell everyone how truly sorry he is for this and to make it very clear that he does not tolerate this behavior from his divemasters. He was very sincere and very upset about it as he viewed the pictures, just as we all are.

Furthermore, he asked me to inform everyone that he spoke with the divemaster and has terminated his employment as a result. While I hate to see this happen, maybe it will set an example to other divemasters.

As I said previously, I knew that Martin probably was unaware of this and that he would never condone this behavior!

I think you all have made a difference and hopefully this will stop now...at least from this operation :)

Thanks for caring about our reefs and our "babies."

James Goddard:
Response from DWM:
Do we know for sure if this response came from Martin himself or did it come from one of his employees who has access to the company e-mail, you know maybe a friend of or even the DM in question covering their butts. Maybe Christi would be willing to confirm this for us and let us know?

Just from looking at his website and the way this message is written I'm a little suspicious, or is it just me folks.

EDIT
As you can see Christi is way ahead of me on this one.

Thanks Christi!!! :wink:

getwet2:
Do we know for sure if this response came from Martin himself or did it come from one of his employees who has access to the company e-mail, you know maybe a friend of or even the DM in question covering their butts. Maybe Christi would be willing to confirm this for us and let us know?

Just from looking at his website and the way this message is written I'm a little suspicious, or is it just me folks.

EDIT
As you can see Christi is way ahead of me on this one.

Thanks Christi!!! :wink:

Martin speaks pretty good English, but writing it is a different story. I spoke to him partly in Spanish and partly in English...haha!

Anyway, Martin is sincerely interested in protecting the marine life and I truly believe that he was unaware of what was going on! He is a very nice man too!

Christi:
Furthermore, he asked me to inform everyone that he spoke with the divemaster and has terminated his employment as a result. While I hate to see this happen, maybe it will set an example to other divemasters.
I've been thinking about this since I got the reply from Martin. I hate to see someone lose a job, especially in an area with the economics of Cozumel. However, the DM most certainly would know the marine park rules and from the number of violations does not seem to care at all. I'm just guessing here but for a step like termination, I'm thinking that this was either not the first time or that the DM did not seem to care when he was spoken to.

Tell Martin we all appreciate his efforts to protect our favorite dive destination.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom