Cutting Coral and Fish Picture Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks pretty dreadful to me too - who are these clowns?

Christi is 100% correct I have dove on that boat, but have never experienced anything like the pictures show. I am not defended them at all. I couldn't believe my eyes either. :11:

It has been several years since I have used this op for several reasons and I guess I can add one more to the list.

Sideband:
Well, I'm adding my feelings on the matter to their guestbook. At least others that view the pictures will see that such actions are not viewed favorably and hopefully not mimic their actions.

Joe
sideband1

Good on you Joe, I've done the same, especially as she seems to have now responded to your comments. Here's what I put:-

"Whether the coral was being cut up or not is irrelevant - there are plenty of other pictures in your gallery that show equally terrible behaviour. Under no circumstances should any creature/coral/reef be touched this is standard practice for any diver as endorsed by every dive agency in the world. Unforatunely it is this kind of behaviour that results in reefs being closed to divers and it is totally irresponsible.

chippy:
Looks pretty dreadful to me too - who are these clowns?

The boat in the picture (same album as these photos) is the Ana Maria of Dive with Martin.

Althought I can't identify the divemaster in the picture with certainty, I do know that he IS NOT an Aldora divemaster (previous thread shows her 1999 trip report from Aldora). To Aldora's credit, I feel very safe in saying that their divemasters are professionals and have much more respect for the marine life than these pictures display.

This activity is highly prohibited in the marine park and by nature! Furthermore, gloves and knives are not permitted in the marine park for these very reasons.

These pictures make me sick to my stomach and I truly hope that if any of my divemasters behave like this that I will be told about it!

I may need to give Martin a call and show him the pictures. He is probably unaware of this and I would think he would feel the same way we all do about this behavior!

Christi,

That would be great if you were able to show DWM the pictures. I think the owner would like to be made aware of something like this.
I imagine the album will be deleted soon if people are leaving comments for the album owner.

Thanks Christi.

Rescue Diver68:
Christi,

That would be great if you were able to show DWM the pictures. I think the owner would like to be made aware of something like this.
I imagine the album will be deleted soon if people are leaving comments for the album owner.

Thanks Christi.
I too signed up and sent the photographer a message and I also e-mailed DWM and included a couple of the links so he can see for himself first hand. I've also asked him to reply back to me.

It's pathetic!

P.S. If you wanted to you can click on the picture and save it for yourself.

I will give her the opportunity to talk to the operator first. Here is what I wrote.

Hi Kathy,

My name is Christi, and I am a PADI MSDT and dive shop operator in Cozumel. The pictures in your album were brought to my attention, and I must say that they were quite disturbing to say the least.

The fact is, that even touching the coral, or "moving" it as you say is prohibited in the marine park, and DOES in fact do great damage to the coral. Your photo shows pieces of coral being broken off, whether intentionally or accidentally, this is unacceptable. Knives and gloves are strictly prohibited in the marine park for this very reason. Furthermore, in viewing the rest of your album, there are several other instances of molestation of the marine life. I realize that as a tourist, you and your dive buddies may think this is really "cool" and it possibly made your experience more memorable, but think about it…how would you like it if a creature 100x's your size picked you up by your arms to "show you off." This is not acceptable behavior by the dive guide or any diver, period. As a diver, it is your responsibility to help preserve the marine life by reporting these kinds of activities and doing your best to stay off the reef.

I urge you to bring this to the attention of the dive shop owner (I assume DWM) and let him know that you do not condone this behavior. As an operator, I would certainly want to know if my divemasters were engaging in this kind of disrespect for the marine life.

Thank you for your attention and consideration to this matter. Please feel free to e-mail me at info@bluextseadiving.com if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Christi Courtney
MSDT 179886

Rescue Diver68:
There are laws against this kind of stuff in the Marine Parks in Cozumel aren't there? Surely if the Dive OP put a guide in the water they saw what was going on. They should be banned from diving.
Here is something I found by doing a search on the albums owner. Apparently she's been to Cozumel a few times.

http://www.aldora.com/reports/kc1199.htm

Not meaning to drive this thread onto a tangent, and correct me if I'm wrong, but does her dive log actually state that after she blew her HP hose, that she and her DM continued the dive for another 48 minutes? Again, who are these people?

gfisher4792:
Not meaning to drive this thread onto a tangent, and correct me if I'm wrong, but does her dive log actually state that after she blew her HP hose, that she and her DM continued the dive for another 48 minutes? Again, who are these people?

This is two complete different trips. Her Aldora trip report was in 1999, they aren't the marine life culprits.

This album is from August 2004, with a dive boat from DWM in the album, so I have to assume that is who they were diving with.

I just got finished looking at all of the other pictures…OH MY GOD! Pass the crab will ya!

I am so sick to my stomach!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom