Cutting Coral and Fish Picture Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like Kathy has removed the entries made by everyone but Christi so far. She probably hasn't got around to hers yet and I'm sure it will soon be gone.
When I left my comments there was already one there that simply said, "What a shame you disturbed the underwater world."

I think I wil also write a polite letter to the Dive op and bring this to their attention. I am optomistic that they don't condone such behavior and did not know it was happening at the time. According to Kathy though, the guy with the dive knife is their dive guide...

Joe

Sideband:
It looks like Kathy has removed the entries made by everyone but Christi so far. She probably hasn't got around to hers yet and I'm sure it will soon be gone.
When I left my comments there was already one there that simply said, "What a shame you disturbed the underwater world."

I think I wil also write a polite letter to the Dive op and bring this to their attention. I am optomistic that they don't condone such behavior and did not know it was happening at the time. According to Kathy though, the guy with the dive knife is their dive guide...

Joe

Sideband, Kathy left you a msg as well. It doesn't make any sense. She still feels she or the dm did nothing wrong. So moving a fish to get a picture is not wrong?? :11: Here is the msg

On August 25, 2004 at 10:46 pm, kathycerwin wrote:
to sideband1 just for your information the dive guide with the knife was NOT cutting the coral he was moving a fish. so obviously u should not say anything unless u really know what you are talking about.we never disturb the coral

parrotheaddiver:
Sideband, Kathy left you a msg as well. It doesn't make any since. She still feels she or the dm did nothing wrong. So moving a fish to get a picture is not wrong?? :11: Here is the msg

On August 25, 2004 at 10:46 pm, kathycerwin wrote:
to sideband1 just for your information the dive guide with the knife was NOT cutting the coral he was moving a fish. so obviously u should not say anything unless u really know what you are talking about.we never disturb the coral

Manhandling crab, octopi, pufferfish, grouper, and starfish are different in her mind.

She has pictures of all of this in that same gallery, proudly showing them off!

Unbelievable!

This is a terrible shame. Do we know what city these people are in? Is there anyway they can be fined?

Natasha:
This is a terrible shame. Do we know what city these people are in? Is there anyway they can be fined?

I hate to say it, but looking at the rest of their gallery they are from Texas. I can hear all of our out of state friends saying "it figures". Looks like Bandera outside of San Antonio.

I think that would make it easier to find them and make a phone call. I'm willing to call Kathy and explain to her why this is wrong. Maybe even invite her to the board to learn the right way to dive.
Do you think this is a good idea?

Some people are clueless and always will be. Some are clueless and can be educated. I feel sorry for the former. I have only been in quarries and have not had the opportunity to see these beautiful critters in person. Even in our quarry I don't like to disturb the abundant amount of fish any more than necessary. If I come across one hiding in the grass I will most certainly stop and hover above it, watching, but I don't want to disturb it any more than I have to. I see people all the time grabbing at them and getting a kick out of scaring a fish. Touching them removes their protective slime layer and opens them up to infection and disease. Feeding them with Easy Cheese is also popular. The problem is they can't digest it properly. Now, I will surely brush them away when they come after my ears after being programmed that divers mean food.
All of these critters should be observed, admired and left alone. If you want to show how big that starfish is, put your hand NEXT to it in the photo. All that is needed is something to give a reference point for scale... I could go on but I'm preaching to the choir.
BTW, I did also write DWM a very polite email with links to some of those pics. I'll be interseted to see if I hear back.

Joe

Natasha:
I think that would make it easier to find them and make a phone call. I'm willing to call Kathy and explain to her why this is wrong. Maybe even invite her to the board to learn the right way to dive.

My opinion would be that she would probably feel a phone call as an invasion of her personal space and automatically feel defensive. I think the best we can do (as far as she's concerned) is send her a message, inviting her to SB, or perhaps directing her to a site that talks about the evils of disturbing marine life. I think a more positive result will come about if she finds it for herself, rather than anyone directly telling her she was wrong.

Natasha:

You go girl. If that would be possible I think it would be great. The only problem is I doubt she will be willing to hear how she was doing something wrong. As GOOD as your intentions are I doubt that you would get a warm response. I offer any moral support you may need and commend your intentions, just don't let it get to you if the reply you get isn't all that polite.

Joe

I hate to see people doing this kind of thing. I did post the following in their guest book.

I am also an avid photographer but must say I was shocked to see some of the pictures you have posted. Touching or harassing animals to “get a picture” is unacceptable. In several pictures fish and octopus are in “fight or flight” responses. This is the same as me grabbing you by the hair and shaking you till you scream to get a funny pic. At no time should anyone touch the reef or its creatures. Please work with fellow divers to refrain from this unacceptable behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom