Customer Service Extraordinaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My LDS, Eugene Skin Divers, is a class act. When you walk in, everybody knows you by name, regardless of how long it's been since you've been in or how often you visit. They are patient, knowledgable and extremely helpful. I did my dry suit check out in the pool and my brand new hood (which I had bought from ESD not a week before) somehow got picked up off my kit and put in with their rental gear. I called the dive shop and asked the owner if he had happened to run across it. He told me he hadn't, but agreed to check and would replace the hood if he couldn't find it. Also, regular customers never pay list price for anything. They always find a way to give you a discount. I know I'll keep going back!

We had one dive store in Lubbock, whose owners were never there, ran by one rude young lady. A second store opened a few years ago, the rude lady at the first store kept up her style repeatedly sending customers to the new one.

I refer to he lady who runs the newer store - Southwest Awqua Sports, my Inst's wife, as The Cheerleader as she's always so perfky and friendly. I try to buy there as often as possible.

Dan and Jcsgt,

Well said! Isn't it interesting that the simple things, that really don't cost a cent, are the things that we value. And the things that cost, are not all that important. Simple kindness, a smile, friendship, even a warm felt thank you..........these are priceless. Thank you all for your wonderful comments. We hope that at onestopscuba.com we can try in some measure to reach this level of service. You are all tremendously insightful!!

I know there are more out there...............let hear your story!

Happy Diving

I've had so many different good experiences with Scubatoys.com that I can't even pick one out to write about...

I'd also like to mention my LDS, Gypsy Divers in Raleigh, NC.

- I first got certified with them in the early 90's, but never got into the sport after that. 15 years later I decided to give it a go again. I walked in the shop and the original owner recognized me and called me by name. That was the first good mark for them.

- They'd upgraded their facilities and now had an onsite pool. After purchasing the start up gear (mask, fins, snorkle etc), I went to my first class. My mask was leaking some thing fierce and I brought it up to the shop. It looked ok as far as leaks, but he told me to grab any mask of the shelf and take it back down. I kept trying until I found the one I liked, and he gave me no refund/exchange hassle.

- I wanted to buy a compass but they didn't have any new ones in stock. He gave me a rental for free to try out for the weekend's dives.

- Their service shop is a seperate business, although it's onsite, and I've never once had a hassle about service/repair/advice. I bought my regulator at another LDS, and my BP and Wing online. Not a single problem on either of them.

- I took my first abroad trip (plus first diving trip) with them last year to Roatan. My credit card wouldn't work when it came time to check out and the store's guide graciously paid my bill until we got back to the states. He even tried his best to refuse the little extra I was giving him for helping me out.

I think alot of the little things like that make up for the price differences vs. online stuff. Not that I'm against buying online either though, broke is still broke.

I don't want to make this a love-in for Gypsy Divers out of Raleigh, NC but I want to echo Kriterian's comments.
I was certified with Gypsy Divers when I lived in Raleigh (now live in South Florida, but recognized their description with the new onsite pool) and they've remained my "gold standard" for LDS's ever since. Well run, honest to a fault, positive and supportive, professional yet friendly, with a knowledgeable and helpful staff these guys have ruined it for just about every other LDS I've dealt with since.
I still own and maintain the Scubapro BC and reg they sold me, still receive their eNewsletter and always think fondly of those guys who got me into this great sport.

I'm just getting into this SCUBA stuff so no good dive shop stories. My favorite online retailer is Expedition Exchange a Land Rover shop in LA. I encourage you to look at their site for ideas about good informative well laid out product marketing. Site design can make or break online sales. Further, when you call them you always talk to John or Ho. They will talk about LR stuff and give free advice including basic mechanic's information as long as you will listen. They are opinionated but usually with very good reason. Lastly, when you order from them I swear they seem to ship 2 days prior to the order. I live in AL and routinely see orders in my hands in 3 days. I can always find parts cheaper somewhere else but I always buy with them because their service is impeccable.

Greg

Chris great comments. Its interesting... when we first looked into branching out into the Web site busniess I called Larry and got wonderful advise. You would have thought a guy who your about to compete with wouldn't be so open. But I found him to be gracious and giving. You can see why they are so successful. I just hope here at OneStopScuba.com we can in a small measure come close to their level of service.

Happy Diving

Can't find the gear you need? Can't find the gear you want? Don't you really want to know what you need? Give us a call or look us up at WWW.SCUBATOYS.COM If you don't know what you want or need, ask our advise. We're full of it. Curious about where to take the next big trip? We'll tell you where to go.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

Seriously tho. I have heard a lot of excellent things about Larry at ScubaToys. (Never Joe tho, is he just a figment of Larry's imagination?) Always helpful and giving good advise, regardless of what the preceding, unauthorized ad implies. Good to know that you're talking to real divers.

Ok, here's one about my first trip to the Keys. I set up reservations three weeks in advance, excited about my first experience in south Florida, which was to be a full week. Morning #1, I head to the dive shop and get signed in to dive. The gal behind the counter seemed like it was her first day on the job. Lots of confusion and a couple delays, but I signed up for some dives. There were about 44 people on the boat the first day, about 2/3rds of them snorkelers. Note to self: don't EVER sign up(pay for) for multiple dives or a package without at least references first. It was to be a three tank outing. The reef was great, no complaints there. But, we were hurried from one site on the reef to the next. When it was time to eat their specialty, hot dogs, we had to take time out from the next dive. No time allowed to eat if you wanted the max. bottom time. The third dive I didn't even change tanks because I still had over half left from the second dive.(30'max depth) Anyway, we get back to the dock and as everyone was disembarking, the Capt. totally reamed the Divemaster in front of a lot of us, for trying to HELP! I felt bad for her and another guy even asked me about it later, wanting my opinion on if it was proffessional or not. I said "NOT", and told the owner what had transpired after talking to the DM. The next morning I was on my balcony enjoying the morning when the Capt, boarded the boat below to prepare for that days outing. When the Mate came on, The Capt. actually THREW parts of the onboard cooler in tantrum and started cussing LOUD to the mate about how someone complained about his actions yesterday and it was total b.s. There was lots of kids around the resort, too. I did not say anything to the owner but someone else must have, because he was fired that day or the next. Great, new Capt. on day 3 or 4! Things must improve, right? So after our wreck dive that day, my insta-buddy asked me to ask the Capt. to turn on the pump for the shower/rinse. So, I ask the Cap, "Hey, can you turn on the fresh water rinse pump?" Cap, "No, I'm driving the boat right now." Then he asked the Mate to turn on the pump switch. Well, I don't know the reefs around there and am not aware of all the dangers we may have been close to, but we were in apparently deep, open ocean. Why not just respond, "Please ask the mate." Or, "As soon as possible but give me a minute." No need to be rude. Enough about the boat crew, but suffice it to say, as a DM myself I try to give the best possible service to ANYONE while working in that capacity, and this was certainly not it. Before we left, the new owner bought me a beer and told me of the growing pains they were experiencing. He asked that I come back next year and give him my opinion then. Because of his frankness and honesty I likely will.

On the evening of day 2, I was wandering the canal and a guy across the way who was cleaning fish engaged me in a conversation. He seemed kinda like an old grumpy guy but knew his fish and talked about them and boats. I liked him right off. He asked me what I was paying at the resort and if we were happy with the room. I told him what I thought and what he said next floored me. He rented us his entire bottom part of the house:kitchen, living room, laundry, BIG bedroom, etc. for $30/day LESS than what I was paying at the resort. And he took us out fishing on his boat and would not accept gas $ under any circumstances. I tried hard to pay him but to no avail. He even tried to get us to stay another day to go "way offshore" as he put it, fishing again for big fish. We've been friends since, and THAT, my dive buddies, is customer service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom