Customer Service Extraordinaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lead_carrier:
Can't find the gear you need? Can't find the gear you want? Don't you really want to know what you need? Give us a call or look us up at WWW.SCUBATOYS.COM If you don't know what you want or need, ask our advise. We're full of it. Curious about where to take the next big trip? We'll tell you where to go.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

Seriously tho. I have heard a lot of excellent things about Larry at ScubaToys. (Never Joe tho, is he just a figment of Larry's imagination?) Always helpful and giving good advise, regardless of what the preceding, unauthorized ad implies. Good to know that you're talking to real divers.

No... Joe really does exist. He's just not all the good at typing... So if you call in, or stop in, you can run into Joe. And he's pretty hard to miss - 6'7" 260.

Next time you decide to call in... Just ask for Joe, let him know you just wanted to see if he really existed, and then have him transfer the phone to me!

We also have Joey working there... That's Joe's son, and Ricky - also Joe's Son. Kind of a family business... but I don't like my family... so we use Joe's. :wink:

Plus we have a host of folks who are not related to Joe... Kip, Ben, Greg, Blake, Todd. I hope you'll find the same level of customer service from any of us... but it is my shop so if there is ever a problem, contact me directly so I can take care of it.

I wanted to buy a Green Force light from Manta Industries. They have their production facility right near my house in NJ. I email Greg Dubas (the owner) to see if he sells direct to the public. He emails me back that they only sell through distributors and refers me to my nearest store. After I buy the light he emails me back inviting me to visit him in the factory and pick up a complimentary pair of Manta Fin straps!

Now that's great customer service and attitude!

Super Star............we'll take care of you. Just give us a chance.

Mozz you got it bud! I'll call first.

Rick my friend as always excellent comment!

Happy Diving

Larry your a model for us all..............again nice work. When I "grow up" as a business I just hope to be a fraction as good as you are!

See you are DEMA again.

Happy Diving

The closest dive shop to me (at the time) did not keep the hours posted on their door. Three times I showed up there during their posted hours and they were closed.

Grrrrr. So I just stopped going.

The day of my certification test, my in laws dropped off a bunc of old scuba gear for me to use in any way I saw fit. It looked like junk to me. I took it to mydive shop, and while I took the written, the instructor/owner looked it over. Offered me 30 a piece forthe consoles and offered to throw out the regs and octos, because parts were no longer avail. I took the 30 and he "tossed" 3 regs.

As I spent more time here, I got smarter. I bought some dacor regson line to trade in to mares for abyss regs.

LDS owner had the same idea. When he "tossed" the regs, they landed in a box with "mares" on the lable. Of course I didn't figure this out until I opened up the save a dive kit from the in laws a month later to find three Dacor warranty cards.

When I picked up my abyss regs, I confrontedthe ower. He admitted his scam and told me "that is why I gave you such a good deal onthe weights you bought" (2.00 instead of 3.00.) I smiled, said thanks, and walked out of the shop forever.

Well since we are talking about bad experience, let me tell you about a bad experience I had with ScubaToys and Larry specifically.
I called a year ago and talked to Larry, ordered 2 masks with optical lenses. I requested that they put the lenses in. Shipping was fast and as promised but the masks arrived without the original lenses included in the package. He threw in couple of his mask straps though.
I called immediately and talked to Larry again who promised me to send the lenses out. Never got them or heared from him again.
Couple of month ago, there was a thread going on and I mentioned that I wasn't very pleased with ScubaToys. Larry PM'd me asking what the deal is. I reminded him of the "not completed transaction on his side" and he promised me to take care of it. Guess what? Never got the lenses and never heared from Larry again.
Couple of weeks ago, I remembered that Larry promised me "To take care of it" and PM'd him with a copy of his old PM. Guess again? Didn't hear from him back and still don't have the lenses.
Don't know, maybe one of Larry's colleagues may have served me better but I don't put to much trust in Larry's word based on my personal experience. Sorry Larry, I will do my shopping somewhere else. :wink:

I just went through all my PM's for the last 6 weeks... and I don't have anything concerning this. If you call me at 10 central time, I'll solve whatever the problem is instantly. And since you are in Canada and our toll free number does not work from there... Just call collect and ask for me.

I'll go ahead and throw my story into the pot as well.

I'll preface by stating that the closest LDS is over 100 miles away from me, but there are at least a half dozen down there in OKC, plus more in Tulsa if I wanted to drive East instead of South.

THE BAD
Last year I was planning a dive trip during a short military stay in another state. My tanks were out of hydro so I decided to try the oldest scuba shop in OKC. I figure they must be doing something right to stay open so long. I take my tanks down and explain the situation. Owner says 'sure, no problem' They would send the tanks off on Monday, and have them back the next monday. I get a call the next monday that they had screwed up and not sent the tanks. They would go that day with a 'rush order' and have them back Wed or Thurs. So I call Wed, and talk to the "phone answerer" who says she doesnt know anything about my tanks but none have come back. I call the next day and get told the same story. Now I'm getting pissed. I am driving though town on my way to the Army meeting and decide to make the detour over to the shop and see if MAYBE my tanks were there. I arrive at the shop at 10:30 am. Lights in the LDS are off, door locked. Sign on the shop door says they opened half and hour ago. I call the shop (maybe owner in back, didnt realize the time). All I get is the recording saying, AGAIN, that they opened at 10:00.

When I get back home and call the shop a week later I'm told that the tanks are in and ready. When I get down to pick them up he explains that they didnt get logged in his book, so the other worker (lady) didnt know about them and didnt go actually look at the "ready" tanks to see if mine were there. I expected him to offer me a discount for all this BS but he didn't. Several weeks later, after cooling down I decide to give them a second chance. I call about an UW camera part I need to replace since they are an authorized dealer for the line. The owner tells me he thinks it's such-and-such a price, but he'll have to call the company and verify, since he doesn't have it in stock.
Says he will call me back the next day with the answer (its late in the day at time of calling). He never calls, I never go back.

Now for the GOOD!

Blue Water Divers of OKC ROCKS!
I liked the website so I decided to make that the next shop to try out. FRIENDLY, FRIENDLY, FRIENDLY!
The owner stayed an hour late past normal close so I could drop off some regs for service on my way to my cruise. A+ I bought a safety sausage kit and some other small stuff (totaling over $120) from him at the time as a way to say thanks for the great service and staying late for me.

After picking up my regs from him, I was talking to him about some classes I wanted to take since I lived so far away. He's willing to work with me however I need to get the classes done. On top of this, he treated me like an old friend, even though this was the second to see me. AWSOME! another A+

I even tried to test him to see his true caliber. I talked about an Army buddy who was an instructor with a different organization that was going to teach the rescue diver class for me this summer. His response? 'Cool, thats a great class. Everyone should have it.' What? No jealousy? No PADI is the best, and you're better off taking it here? He's trully glad to see me taking a course to be a better diver whether through him or not!

He has great classes from OW through deco and beyond. I plan on taking all my future classes through this shop. I'll probably buy my next tanks (steels) from him to. When I can afford them that is. :D

I still love to get great deals from Ebay, but when it comes items I prefer to buy at an LDS, it will be his. He'll also get all my service business every year, on top of taking my future classes from him.

FD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom