Customer Service Extraordinaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatoys:
I just went through all my PM's for the last 6 weeks... and I don't have anything concerning this. If you call me at 10 central time, I'll solve whatever the problem is instantly. And since you are in Canada and our toll free number does not work from there... Just call collect and ask for me.
I PM'd you on February 5th 2006 at 01:04AM
Concerning your offer to call you, it's exactly the same offer as last time, and the time before and before. Why should the outcome be other this time? Why should I run after things I've paid for and should have received a year ago? Seriously, Why should I waste my time?
Why wouldn't you try to call me? :wink:

This biggest thing that drives me away is the shopkeeps assumption that I am an uninformed stupid consumer.

One shop owner tried to convince me that the gear purchases I made at another shop were poor consumer decisions because his line of equipment was approved by the navy and therefor the best. I am not a naval diver, I am a recreational diver and I was fully aware of the quality of the equipment that I purchased (Aqualung regulator). I was also a little miffed when he proceeded to explain to me that diving with an AL80 cylinder was jepordizing my life. He explained that I would subject myself to alzheimer's disease unless I immediatly switched to a steel tank, he was even hesisitant to fill my cylinder until I was ready to walk out the door and get the fill elsewhere. Now being a 'dumb consumer' I am aware that medical research has in fact shown a buildup of aluminum salts in the brains of alzheimer's sufferers however the medical community is unsure if this a cause or effect of the affliction. In addition, being a firefighter, I have been breathing from an aluminum cylinder for many years and I am sure that any injury that could occur probably already has. Besides, if I were to apply his logic, I would be very afraid of getting a blood disease from any minute specks of rust in a steel tank. This guy was a flake.

Ken

aquaoren:
I PM'd you on February 5th 2006 at 01:04AM
Concerning your offer to call you, it's exactly the same offer as last time, and the time before and before. Why should the outcome be other this time? Why should I run after things I've paid for and should have received a year ago? Seriously, Why should I waste my time?
Why wouldn't you try to call me? :wink:

Ok, My saved PM's only go back about a month and a half... in your other post, you said you PM'd 2 weeks ago, so I got confused. If you will PM with your number and best time to call, this will be resolved today.

i guess i don't 'look' like a diver at all, never mind a serious one, because i'm pretty much not spoken to AT ALL in shops. the only shop someone talks to me, it's because the guy & i went to the same high school. and he's the only one who will talk.

chat a bit, fellas! it's free!

and if i'm asking for something specific like a cam band weight pouch, don't try to sell me a integrated weight pocket from a bc that 'you can sew a strap to and put it on your bc cummerbund - and then it will be ditchable!' when i've just told you i'm using a plate and don't *want* it to be ditchable. just say 'i'm sorry, we don't have those. i bet we could order one if you'd like.'

so i've gone to option 3 (1 being lds & 2 online) of acquiring gear - wait until your buddies upgrade and buy their old stuff! :D

pcarlson1911:
The day of my certification test, my in laws dropped off a bunc of old scuba gear for me to use in any way I saw fit. It looked like junk to me. I took it to mydive shop, and while I took the written, the instructor/owner looked it over. Offered me 30 a piece forthe consoles and offered to throw out the regs and octos, because parts were no longer avail. I took the 30 and he "tossed" 3 regs.

As I spent more time here, I got smarter. I bought some dacor regson line to trade in to mares for abyss regs.

LDS owner had the same idea. When he "tossed" the regs, they landed in a box with "mares" on the lable. Of course I didn't figure this out until I opened up the save a dive kit from the in laws a month later to find three Dacor warranty cards.

When I picked up my abyss regs, I confrontedthe ower. He admitted his scam and told me "that is why I gave you such a good deal onthe weights you bought" (2.00 instead of 3.00.) I smiled, said thanks, and walked out of the shop forever.

Nice shop, he also commited fraud againts Mares....

Middle Tennessee Scuba & Swim: Ugh... Where to begin? I walked in there, being a newly certified diver, a little over a year ago. I needed weights for myself and for one other diver. I picked up a total of thirty pounds of weights, and the guy working the counter said, in a pretty snotty tone, "You don't need that much weight!! That's CRAZY!! Why would ANYONE need that much weight?!" Maybe I was diving with a dry suit. Maybe I was picking up weights for a whole class. What difference does it make to him? He didn't know me, my level of certification, or the kind of diving I did.

This past weekend, I happened to be at that end of town, so I stopped in, just to see if there was anything that "I couldn't possibly live without." LOL

Directly in front of the entrance, there's a glass case with a couple of underwater digital cameras. (DC500, I think...) I wasn't seriously looking for a camera, having just bought a Sea & Sea MX-10, but the guy there is VERY pushy, and begins pulling all of the cameras out of the case. I don't even care to see them and even told him that I wasn't looking for a camera, but he keeps pulling stuff out and insisting that I need to take HIS underwater photography class. I tell him, once again, that I am not interested, and he STILL keeps on going on and on about how I "really need" to take his class. I'm getting irritated by this point, especially since all I really want to do is browse a little.

In a little alcove to the right, I see a Sea & Sea MX-10 in a Pelican box. I look at the price tag: $1,042!! Again, Mr. Eager Beaver comes trotting over and telling me how fantastic this camera is, and AGAIN tells me that I need to take his photography class. I tell him that I'm willing to experiment on my own, and that I saw the same camera on Scuba Toys for $375, and furthermore, that I got the whole camera, strobe, wide angle lens, Pelican case, extra gasket, two tubes of gasket lube, and new batteries for the strobe AND the camera, for a total of $152.50 on eBay. FINALLY, he stalks off and leaves me alone. A quick browse through the rest of the store showed HUGE mark-ups on everything. I expect a bit of mark-up on stuff, because after all, dive shops need to make money too, but this stuff was truly outrageous. The overpricing and the pushy attitudes, plus the lack of any real variety: Three strikes and you're out. I won't go back there again.

Now for some of the good: Dive-Rite Express will ALWAYS get my business. They have been nothing but courteous, quick, and they've had everything I've wanted, and for reasonable prices, plus free shipping. Just yesterday, I called them up because I needed some smaller shoulder straps and a shorter cummerbund for my Trans-Pac II. I talked to Mark who said that they no longer carried parts for the Trans-Pac II, but he told me to call Dive-Rite and talk to Jeffrey, and to tell him that I had been referred by Mark. I phoned up Dive-Rite, and they were courteous, had what I needed, and even gave me a discount on the shoulder-straps. I'm awaiting delivery now, but I have every faith that I will receive my order in a timely manner.

For local servicing, I use Off The Map Scuba, which is my LDS. http://www.offthemapscuba.com/

They've been very friendly, and fortunately, I've gone in, knowing exactly what I wanted, needed, and what I'm willing to pay for it. I bought a light from them that crapped out, and they were good about giving my money back. I've bought quite a lot of other equipment from them too. I originally bought my Cressi BC through a catalog, and when I showed up at the pool with Jerry, the owner, he said, "Hey! Nice BC!" (He uses the same one.) I'm no longer using the Cressi BC, and instead, I'm using the Dive-Rite Trans-Pac II. I asked him if he had thought about becoming a Dive-Rite distributer and he said he would look into it. All around, it's been a very positive relationship. :)

To quote Don Adams .. They missed by "that" much.

Biggest store in my area, most convenient for me to get to, did my open water cert with them.. pricing is OK but not great.

So I want to buy a Regs and BCD for my wife and I, did my research read the mags and web sites, talked to other more experienced divers, tried stuff out came up with a short list. Took it into the shop told him (the owner/manager) that I was looking at this or that, or something comparable. (Notice there are no names here?) First words out of his mouth were, “you don’t want that brand they are nothing but trouble and you can’t get service” The other choice was apparently not available in Canada (which was news to them). What he recommended was not surprisingly exactly what he had in stock, and a consistent midfield placement in the ratings game.

He did the same thing when I wanted to buy Computers. “their user serviceable battery compartments have been known to leak, and they wont warranty them”

I’ve spent enough time in retail to know you should never lie to a customer and never tell them their opinion is wrong.. (No soup for you! Doesn’t work in the real world.)

They have everything else I could ask for in a store, but the one guy just ruins it.

The other side of the coin is a small store that is a PITA to get to, has very little stock, crappy parking and not particularly attractive pricing.. what they have is extremely knowledgeable staff who are willing to go out of the way to get info and or products that they wouldn’t normally have. They will even hold the store open if you call and tell them you want to come by but can’t make their normal (reasonable) hours..

scubatoys:
Ok, My saved PM's only go back about a month and a half... in your other post, you said you PM'd 2 weeks ago, so I got confused. If you will PM with your number and best time to call, this will be resolved today.
I said couple of weeks and not 2 weeks. Maybe "several" would have been a better choice of words.
PM sent.

Although I DM for them, Adventure Scuba Company in Chantilly VA makes it simple. At the bottom of their sales receipts, which I have quite a few, it says, "No sale is complete until you are satisfied."

Frank as always your comments are right on.

Scuba Crow.......that is a great motto.

Thanks

Happy and Safe Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom