Custom or off the rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthSideScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, let's start with the issue; I'm 5'6", have a 44"chest, 35" waist & a 27" inseam .... There ain't a wetsuit size chart out there I fit into a single column of!!!

All of the above seem to be pointing me toward custom suit(s) (Liquid-fit, Aquaflite, etc), but I'm told some of the "stretchy" lines by the major mfg's might work as well (Henderson, Akona, etc). Anyone have any sugegstions as to which brand to try off the rack given my measurements?

From the custom side, does anyone have recent expereince with the above (or other) mfg's of custom suits?

Last edited:
I'm a similar build (5'7", 47" chest, 28" inseam). I've tried a "stretchy" neoprene Henderson. The legs are way too long. Bare wetsuits sizing comes the closest I've seen, but they're still too long in the leg. (which isn't a HUGE deal)

Next time around, I'm going with a custom suit. (my wetsuits only get used on vacation - at home it's drysuit diving all year round).

Good luck - I know the frustration!

Ok, let's start with the issue; I'm 5'6", have a 44"chest, 35" waist & a 27" inseam .... There ain't a wetsuit size chart out there I fit into a single column of!!!

All of the above seem to be pointing me toward custom suit(s) (Liquid-fit, Aquaflite, etc), but I'm told some of the "stretchy" lines by the major mfg's might work as well (Henderson, Akona, etc). Anyone have any sugegstions as to which brand to try off the rack given my measurements?

From the custom side, does anyone have recent expereince with the above (or other) mfg's of custom suits?
I'm like you except fatter (38" waist). Custom suit all the way, baby, for us fat & stubby people!!!

Here's the outfit that I use Horizon Wetsuits Scuba Diving Surfing Jet Skiing Swimming Snorkeling Kayaking

Try an O'Neill size MS or possibly even a Body Glove size MS. The MS size is for the not-so-tall, but stocky people.

Here's O'Neill's Size Chart. The numbers won't match up to your's exactly. And finding a place that stocks size MS can be hard (it's not the most requested size, I know because it's my size). But I think if you can find one to try on, it might fit. It's just the leg length I'm not sure about.

Custom suits really improve your attitude about diving. A good fitting suit stays warmer longer. You may also be able to get a suit that fits your body and needs only a little tailoring to fit perfect.

i'm 6'8'' and only 250 lbs most suit manufacturers stop at 6'4'' which is a 3XL and usually is for guys who have a much bigger mid section than i.
I tried real stretchy off the rack suits ad settled on a BARE elastek , then i dropped BARE a note and asked for modifications - i knew i needed a 3XL that was 3'' longer in the leg for instance - and asked them to modify it - costed me an extra 30$ , the service was FANTASTIC - they were a treat to deal with and i'm positively hyped about the fit and the suit.

I HIGHLY recommend going for a custom suit.

I fear that the stretchy wetsuits won't last very long and will be more prone to compression at depth.

A well-fitting custom wetsuit will, I believe, keep you warmer, longer.

My custom wetsuit cost about the same as the off-the-rack suits and keeps my very warm. I ordered it on a Monday and it arrived on Friday the same week.

Custom Wetsuits, Scuba Diving Skins, Parkas from AquaFlite

Why not a semi custom? Pinnacle has the stretchy suits, makes XLShorts, and if its still too long, I can have them chop the arms and legs a bit to fit perfect....yet you save the money over a custom suit. If your interested, email me and we can look at a few suits. You already have your measurements, but I would still recommend filling out a measurement form to make sure they are perfect....You dont have to go full custom and pay big $$$ anymore. You can get a great suit at a fraction of the cost that will fit you perfect!

Consider that a basic custom suit (sans pockets, zippers and all the fancy stuff) made out of top-of-the-line material (not all neoprenes are the same) is just about the same as an off-the-rack wetsuit, I don't see any reason why a person would even consider off-the-rack stuff unless they're on massive discounted sales (assuming that it fits the diver).

I spent $500 on my 7mm wetsuit and it has titanium threads for heat retention plus comfort liner that allows me to slide in and out without much hassle. While others struggle to don their gears, I'm already out the gate, ready to boogie. It took about ten dives for the suit to break in though. The first several times, the suit was tighter than heck and I questioned the LDS rep thinking that he messed up my measurement or the shop didn't cut the suit right. He kept saying give it a few dives. Next thing I know, this thing fits me like a glove AND stretched out enough to make donning and doffing as easy as pie.

. . . I don't see any reason why a person would even consider off-the-rack stuff. . .
Oh heck, the reason's simple. If I can walk into a place, try on the wetsuit I want, have it fit the way I want, inspect it carefully, pay for it and walk out. . . I'm done and diving it. No measurements, no waiting for it to be made, no hoping I got the measurements right and the wetsuit maker followed them, no hoping that my wetsuit's not a "Friday build", etc.

What I don't understand is why someone would settle for an off-the-rack that just fits and feels "OK", or settling for a style or thickness they don't want, when they could spend the same money on a custom. If you can't get exactly what you want off-the-rack, then I say go custom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom