Question Wetsuit Odd sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron Robertson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I need a new wetsuit. I had an

Akona Quantum Stretch Men's 5mm Jumpsuit 2X-Large,​

which flew off the top of my van's rooftop carrier. It fit ok but the legs were too long.
weight 220, height 69", chest 44", waist 41", hips 46".

I probably need a 2XLS, or XXLS, but many suits don't have a short option in the large/fat option or are out of stock. I read that the BARE Revel wasn't good for the BCD as it has no padding. My dive shop has a BARE, but I'm not sure which model it is. I will be visiting them next week. Please help me with advice on this. Newbie.
11 dives.

I need a new wetsuit. I had an

Akona Quantum Stretch Men's 5mm Jumpsuit 2X-Large,​

which flew off the top of my van's rooftop carrier. It fit ok but the legs were too long.
weight 220, height 69", chest 44", waist 41", hips 46".

I probably need a 2XLS, or XXLS, but many suits don't have a short option in the large/fat option or are out of stock. I read that the BARE Revel wasn't good for the BCD as it has no padding. My dive shop has a BARE, but I'm not sure which model it is. I will be visiting them next week. Please help me with advice on this. Newbie.
11 dives.
Welcome to the money pit of diving.

I recently picked up the BARE Revel, after O’Neill discontinued their excellent 7 mm suits that they had made for decades; and that previous model — a one-piece surf-suit design — had no special padding to accommodate a BC. It wasn‘t necessary. In an actual improvement over my old suits, the nylon covered “dressed” zipper area, doesn’t allow for a zipper to catch on and remove chunks of any “raw” rubber edging, something for which O’Neill had been notorious.

I am quite pleased with the BARE, reminiscent of the tailoring of the O’Neill suits, which also wears well, though I found its sizing a bit unusual. For a number of other brands, I am “medium“ off the rack; but had to choose a LS for the Revel, since, apparently, some Canadians don’t possess shoulders (heh, heh, heh) . . .

Welcome to the money pit of diving.

I recently picked up the BARE Revel, after O’Neill discontinued their excellent 7 mm suits that they had made for decades; and that previous model — a one-piece surf-suit design — had no special padding to accommodate a BC. It wasn‘t necessary. In an actual improvement over my old suits, the nylon covered “dressed” zipper area, doesn’t allow for a zipper to catch on and remove chunks of any “raw” rubber edging, something for which O’Neill had been notorious.

I am quite pleased with the BARE, reminiscent of the tailoring of the O’Neill suits, which also wears well, though I found its sizing a bit unusual. For a number of other brands, I am “medium“ off the rack; but had to choose a LS for the Revel, since, apparently, some Canadians don’t possess shoulders (heh, heh, heh) . . .
I went to high school in Half Moon Bay. I remember swimming at El Granada beach. I was so cold my legs ached. What kind of suit do you wear there? Thought of going to Monterey sometime. Thanks for the help.

Depending on the cost of the 7mm wet, check into getting a dry suit.
My first custom 7mm 12 years age cost me $700. I'm 69" chest was 54" waist was 32".
I just spent $2,100. on a DUI YukonII With undergarments and Dry gloves extra.

I went to high school in Half Moon Bay. I remember swimming at El Granada beach. I was so cold my legs ached. What kind of suit do you wear there? Thought of going to Monterey sometime. Thanks for the help.
I know that beach quite well and lived in neighboring Pacifica for several years.

I do quite well with a standard, one-piece 7 mm wetsuit and really only use my dry suit in the dead of winter. I frankly prefer wetsuits more often than not — less weight to deal with, in terms of ballast; less maintenance . . .

If you are looking for a warm 5 mm suit, please take a look at our selection. Here is a link to one color we have. You will also not that we have a size chart and you are a little short for your weight. In general, we recommend that people match their weight rather than height if there is a small discrepancy.

You should fall right into the XXL size range and a little extra length on the sleeve and leg should not be a problem at all.

If you are looking for a warm 5 mm suit, please take a look at our selection.
If he's diving in Northern California, as he seems to be, 5 mm just won't cut it . . .

Thanks! He mentioned a 5 mm, one piece suit. The MAKO two piece wetsuit will be MUCH warmer than the other suit.

However, if he needs a 7 mm suit, we have them as well, in two colors and Womens too!
Sweeeeet -- love the MAKO pole spears (don’t leave home without them) — since he mentioned diving in the Monterey area, where it can get to 47-8˚ F in Winter, when diving is at its best . . .

If you are looking for a warm 5 mm suit, please take a look at our selection. Here is a link to one color we have. You will also not that we have a size chart and you are a little short for your weight. In general, we recommend that people match their weight rather than height if there is a small discrepancy.

You should fall right into the XXL size range and a little extra length on the sleeve and leg should not be a problem at all.

If I were in better shape, but I am overweight. Looking at your size chart there isn't an option that would fit properly. Thanks. I am motivated now to get back to where I was when I certified in 2012.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom