Current SCUBA Instruction Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a staunch follower of the old KISS principal. The more technological something is, the greater chance something can go wrong. But, that's just me, I guess.

I don't agree with this statement, frankly it is sort of silly.

For the record, as an instructor, I teach all of the skills listed in the OP. However, this notion that just because something is more technologically advanced it is more prone to breaking is simply not realistic. The examples are legion --from cars to airplanes to scuba gear. We have materials today that are far superior to those used in the good old days. The ability of engineers to nearly perfect equipment is dramatic and remarkable.

I teach buddy breathing because I think it is a useful skill to build teamwork, but is buddy breathing less prone to something going wrong? Of course not. In fact, the premise is illogical. Having octos on gear is far safer, even though octos are more technologically advanced.

This isn't meant as a slight to the original poster, but I really think new divers should realize that diving today is far safer because of technological advancements, not in spite of them.

Jeff

Spectrum,
You are right, of course. Diving in a wetsuit without a moderb BCD does have its challenges. However, we learned to compensate and, after a while, it just became second nature and we didn't even think about it much. It's like driving a car. An experienced driver seldom actually thinks about operating the car. His attention is on the road ahead and the other cars around him. He presses the accelerator, turns the wheel to make minute course corrections or hits the brakes; compensating for ever changing conditions without consciously thinking about it. The act of driving the car has become second nature. That's the way we were. We reacted to the effects of depth on our buoyancy on an almost instinctive level.

Like I said, I don't wear a wetsuit unless I absolutely have to, then its a thin one. I think it's a 2mm. Maybe a 1.5mm. I honestly don't remember. But at any rate, depth really doesn't have a noticeable effect on it.

Now, let me say this again: I am not being critical of divers who want to rely on technology for their diving pleasure. I am merely saying that it's not for me. I am way too aware of Old Man Murphy and his law.

Now, let me say this again: I am not being critical of divers who want to rely on technology for their diving pleasure. I am merely saying that it's not for me. I am way too aware of Old Man Murphy and his law.

Exactly. That's why closed circuit rebreathers typically have THREE computers. I am not saying that people shouldn't dive CCR, but if you need three computers to do something in diving, then in my book you shouldn't be doing it.

I think there is a bell curve with respect to technology and making things better.

If something has too many bells and whistles there are more things to go wrong sometimes but being anti-technology certainly makes no sense unless it is just for nostalgia's sake either.

You can't go to the moon with a simple space craft therefore there are a lot of things that can and will go wrong but the alternative is to not go to the moon.

Modern cars break down much less often than a Model T for instance but having too many gadgets can be a cause for unnecessary trips to the garage as well.

I think vintage diving is interesting and I'd give it a try if someone local had the equipment and wanted to let me try it a few times but that's about it. Having to control the way I breath, hang on to stuff or rocket up to the surface because things went wrong isn't the way I'd like to dive on a day to day basis.

I always thought vintage diving was more about shallower and in many cases no exposure suit diving where the weighting was done for depth, swimming was required to get down to depth, and when a slow controlled ascent wasn't really happening.

(edit:I've got to type faster!)

I think vintage diving is interesting and I'd give it a try if someone local had the equipment and wanted to let me try it a few times but that's about it. Having to control the way I breath, hang on to stuff or rocket up to the surface because things went wrong isn't the way I'd like to dive on a day to day basis.

I always thought vintage diving was more about shallower and in many cases no exposure suit diving where the weighting was done for depth, swimming was required to get down to depth, and when a slow controlled ascent wasn't really happening.

(edit:I've got to type faster!)

Well I live in Savannah, and you are welcome to try it here if you get the inclination and want to vacation somewhere beautiful. I stock Land Shark, Eagle Rare (10 year), and whatever else the cat drug in. For the record, having to control your breathing and be weighted properly is not unique to vintage diving, however it is more important in vintage diving. Vintage diving is not exclusive to shallow or warm water diving. I dove to 120 feet in the Bahamas, and I've dove cold water. Many, many other people have as well. A slow controlled ascent ALWAYS happens. Why would I want to be dangerous? I gather that you have received some bad information?

For the record, I am not anti-technology. One of my minors is in educational technology, I drive a Volkswagen, and I love me some computers. I am anti-technology replacing skill though :wink:

"I always thought vintage diving was more about shallower and in many cases no exposure suit diving where the weighting was done for depth, swimming was required to get down to depth, and when a slow controlled ascent wasn't really happening."

Nothing could be further from the truth. So-called "vintage" divers go wherever more technological divers go and a controlled ascent has always been the norm. I think maybe you should read Jacques Yves Cousteau's book, The Silent World. It tells the story of Cousteau's invention of SCUBA and should give you some insight on non-techno diving.

"I always thought vintage diving was more about shallower and in many cases no exposure suit diving where the weighting was done for depth, swimming was required to get down to depth, and when a slow controlled ascent wasn't really happening."

Nothing could be further from the truth. So-called "vintage" divers go wherever more technological divers go and a controlled ascent has always been the norm. I think maybe you should read Jacques Yves Cousteau's book, The Silent World. It tells the story of Cousteau's invention of SCUBA and should give you some insight on non-techno diving.

I have an original 1954 Harper Books first edition of said book sitting on my coffee table. It makes you appreciate life, diving, peace, and the end of World War II all at once. There's nothing like reading about a man who dives to bring up food for hungry people.

Pete, don't forget that they still make Rubatex 231 wetsuits for vintage cold weather diving. Several of the vintage divers in our club have them. Nemrod has one, ZKY has one.

Agreed, that's why I alluded to "most modern neoprene" in another paragraph.

Paladin,
I learned like you did. Except in my case they were Navy divers working at night at the Dive Shop. This was during the "Tween" Period so half the class used the DA Aquamaster and Half a single hose. Had to perform skills with both. The one thing I learned was buddy breathing with a dual hose is skill you must practice to master. So anyway for years I dove a single hose, got a BC, got an octopus, got a computer. This equipment does make diving safer. Nitrox does make diving safer. I am almost 60 now and I am sure that if I tried to ascend no faster than my smallest bubble I am setting myself up for a DCS hit. My computer really slowed down my ascents. It ain't all bad.
While being a Vintage diver is great thing especially with a group or buddy trained in the same skills, like Dual Hose Buddy Breathing, (being a Vintage Diver does take more skill) being with a group of divers not trained as you are could be a big detriment in my opinion. But there is a solution. If you still have that DAAM, get on the Vintage Double Hose website, get a Phoenix nozzle for your DAAM, when they become available, and have the DAAM transformed to a PRAM, Phoenix Royal Aquamaster. This upgrade gives you one of the best breathing regulators in the world and allows an octopus, inflator and SPG hookup. Now diving with the new generation is safer for both you and your sons plus you get to go "Old School" well at least regulator wise.

Agreed, that's why I alluded to "most modern neoprene" in another paragraph.

Speaking of Rubatex wetsuits, are there any shore diving sites up in Maine? I'd love to dive vintage up in my old Navy stomping grounds. It would be nice to dive with another doublehose fan as well, and I do throughly enjoy your writing.

(forgive me if I am off topic slightly)

Back
Top Bottom