Current SCUBA Instruction Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey, Guys,

I'm a new member of this forum and I'd like to put forth a personal observation concerning current SCUBA instruction, if I may.

When I was a boy, way back when, one of my favorite TV shows was SEA HUNT, starring Loyd Bridges. In 1962, at the age of eight, I collected trading stamps (anybody remember those?) to get my first set of snorkeling gear and taught myself how to snorkel. Three years later (1965), a friend of my parents (Harold) learned of my fascination with diving and, during one of our visits to his home, he took me out to his garage and showed me a couple of Aqualung double hose rigs that he'd had for a few years. He had been a Navy Frogman in the 1950s and had brought the rigs home with him. I drooled over the rigs and fingered the two hose regulators (DA Aquamaster). He asked me if I wanted to buy one but I didn't have any money. Then he offered to give me the rig if I would cut and trim the grass on his property for the summer.

Every Saturday, I would spend the day working, then go into the garage to look at the Aqualung rig. Then, two weeks before our agreed upon time was up, the rig disappeared from the garage. I asked Harold where it was and he wouldn't tell me. He just told me not to worry about it.

Two weeks later, I finished cutting and trimming his property and went in to close the deal. There, in his kitchen, was the rig. The tank had been hydro tested and painted. The regulator had been serviced and looked like new. Over in a corner was the other rig. It, too had been refurbished. Although we had not discussed it previously, Harold was including SCUBA instruction in our deal.

Over the winter, we went over the "head work" of diving. I learned the science of SCUBA, how to read the Navy dive tables, safety procedures, etc. In the spring, we went out to the river and I began to learn the skills I would need to dive safely: Emergency ascents, buddy breathing, how to clear the mouthpiece of a two hose regulator, calculating air consumption and timing my dives (we had no SPGs), using the J-valve on my tank, etc.

Harold was not a diving instructor, nor was he certified himself. He taught me what he had learned in the Navy and we filled our tanks (or "Lungs" as he called them) from his compressor. I dove with him and, occasionally, a couple of his buddies for the next eleven years. Then, in 1976, Harold suffered a heart attack and died suddenly. Before I had an opportunity to speak to his widow about his equipment, she disposed of it. Without that compressor, I could not fill my tank.

In 1978, I learned of a new dive shop that was opening in my town and went right in to sign up for the certification course. I told the shop owner of my experience and, instead of the usual three week course, he just had me take the written test, then had me go out with his next class to have me demonstrate my skills. After a weekend of diving, he gave me my C-card. I continued to use my old tank and regulator for a few more years before trading them in on a new Sherwood steel 72 (with J-valve) and an Aqualung Aquarius regulator. I still have both of these, along with an AL80 I bought in '91.

In those days, emergency ascents, buddy breathing, air consumption and the like were standard skills that had to be mastered before being certified. We had no BCDs, dive computers and the like. The only equipment we used were the tank/regulator rigs and our basic snorkeling gear. Everything else was done in our heads.

I quit diving in 1993 after my first wife (and diving partner) and I were divorced. I stored my equipment in the garage and pretty much forgot about it. Then, a couple of months ago, my sons expressed an interest in SCUBA diving and I decided it would be a good sport for us to share.

I have been teaching them to snorkel and want them to master snorkeling (to become comfortable in the underwater environment) before moving on to SCUBA.

Imagine my surprise though, when we paid a visit to a local dive shop, to find out that the old skills aren't even being taught anymore! No emergency ascents, no buddy breathing, no dive tables, nothing! Everything is done by computers, octo rigs, BCDs and such! Modern divers look more like some kind of alien space critter than divers and they depend almost entirely on their equipment for their safety. I'm afraid I just cannot go this route with my sons. Oh, sure, they'll have to take the course as offered in order to get their C-cards, but I can assure you that this will be only the beginning of their education. I am going to teach them all the old skills so that can be more confident divers and will be able to handle themselves whatever comes up. They will learn to dive with nothing more than the most basic equipment; to rely on themselves and their skills instead of a lot of technological gear that could fail.

I am a staunch follower of the old KISS principal. The more technological something is, the greater chance something can go wrong. But, that's just me, I guess.

Welcome back to diving and congratulations on the next generation. Mentorship is a great form of extended training.

Exposing your sons to minimalist diving is a great thing. Don't be so quick to dismiss all of the new gear. It's not entirely about reliance on gear.

Pete

I wouldn't say that Emergency Ascents aren't taught anymore. Also At least I still teach tables. I will admit that I only do Buddy Breathing if they are doing a referral somewhere else. The advent of the Octopus makes me want to use that time on Buoyancy instead.

No emergency ascents, no buddy breathing, no dive tables, nothing! Everything is done by computers, octo rigs, BCDs and such!

My course that I just completed (PADI) included an emergency ascent (which took me five times to get right). We also used dive tables as well as computers and those tables are more conservative than the Navy ones you learned. Don't be so quick to dismiss everything new. A second reg is much better than trying to share a single one (We also practiced sharing air, just not single regulator buddy breathing).

Teach them the principles you learned. Teach them how to figure gas usage and rely on their knowledge rather than equipment. They need to know what to do if equipment fails. But also realize that modern equipment can improve both their safety and their dive experience.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Scuba instruction nowadays. If you look around you're bound to find either a dive shop or private instructor that teaches most of those skills and many new skills as standard fare. Most of the instructors that I work with certainly do.

:popcorn:

hmmm. nah we're going to need the big one

:lurk:

Paladin954, welcome to scubaboard. I'm sure you'll find lots of people who agree with you that things were all better in the old days.

I, however, am not one of them.

Let me just address a couple of things:

the old skills aren't even being taught anymore!
Some old skills, possibly. but emergency ascents are still being taught. Buddy breathing has become optional because we now teach divers how to use AAS (alternative air source... or the octopus). Tables are still being taught at this point but few divers actually use them. As you correctly noticed, many divers now use computers. It's both an advantage and a disadvantage in some ways.

As for divers being dependent on their gear for their safety, you'll find that many "modern" divers have excellent skills. The fact that we now have pressure gauges to see what our tank pressure is does not make us worse divers. In fact, I think you would be quite surprised at what some of hte advances in diving over the last 30 years have done to make it more accessible and safer. I'm not only talking about gear but also skills.

Have you ever done a safety stop? Do you know how fast you should ascend or how to "shape" your ascent curve to minimize your risk of DCS (decompression sickness = the bends). These kinds of "skills" and insights are only becoming common knowledge in the last 10-15 years and help to make diving safer. In fact, the old-school divers' lack of "skill" in this area is shocking to a lot of modern divers.

So yeah, some things have changed but not all change is bad.

R..

Most of what you mention is still taught.
If for some reason tables are not taught during your sons' course and you want to teach them, make sure you get an up-to-date set. The old navy tables are very aggressive by today's standards.
As for computers, I regularly use tables when diving square profiles on wrecks, but for the 70% of my diving that is multilevel the computer is really much more convenient and provides safe extended dive times compared to tables. But again, it's worth noting that pre 1996 computers were generally much more aggressive than the newer ones.

it should be the BEGINNING of their education....entry level PADI, and most programs i assume, are designed to make the sport accessable to people that dont have a Harold to mentor them, and if the ow instructor is worth a crap, he should stress that is the beginning, it is the "learners permit", not the "professional license",
your kids are lucky to have someone with your experience, and conscience, to guide their development, wish more of my students had that opportunity

You may just find a class that suits you better through SEI Diving. To find an instructor write or call:

SEI Diving
1623 W. Jackson Street
Muncie, IN 47303
USA

765-281-0600

info@seidiving.org

SEI Diving Home Page

Walter, Have you gone the SEI route now that the Y folded?

Nothing cynical intended here, just pure curiosity.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom