Crystal River Manatee Kabobs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saturday is Venice diving day unfortunately, wouldnt be able to get up there til at least 12 if not later from that first adventure. I am also contemplating a 2-tanker out of Jupiter on sunday with an LDS near here, its all fairly open at the moment though. BTW all this time i have wondered if you are talking about 3/27, not tomorrow, saturday. Have to put the logistics into practice i guess.

I was really looking forward to using my semi-automatic speargun to keep those manatees away when they charged (as they often do). I believe they have a desire for cameras as well as divers/snorkellers, really have to protect that expensive equipment!!! I cant count the number of times i have been charged by those great beasts when they smell blood.

This is being planned for NEXT weekend, Saturday the 27th.
I know what you mean about the semiauto speargun. I just have a single shot! What's bad is the wreck of the "Bonnie Lass" has now become a historical wreck since the West Indian Manatee migration sank it in '95. You'd think 45 manatees weighing over three tons each wouldn't go near a 210 foot long tanker, but I guess when they school up, they get pack tendencies.
To think they had a triple hull on that cattle freighter and those claws ripped through it like butter. I forgot how many Naugas died in the sinking. The manatees killed every single one of them. Caught them absolutely out of their element. (Not good swimmers those naugas) A shame too, leather prices skyrocketed after that.

Its the ones lying there doing nothing that you have to really watch, those swimming around you can avoid, but if you turn your back on one who looks like its sleeping, he could launch on you at great speed, you wouldnt know what hit you. I feel sorry for those people running the trips all winter long out to see them, they are toying with death every day, they must earn a fortune in danger money!

hey deepseawolf, if the vis sucks at Venice during the Great Fossil And Shark Tooth
Hunt we have planned for the 27th, i might drive north and meet ya at Cyrstal River
for some manatee patties.. petting..

Andy and Ken,

we will find out the viz and availability on that day i guess. Will you have cellphones with you in case a change of plans is imminent?? I dont, but my trusty payphone use can always get hold of people i have their numbers!

Like i said before, its about a 2-2.5 hour drive up there, if we were to call off Venice before 9.30, we would be up there around 12ish, if we got any diving in at Venice, i would think it would be an afternoon affair.

Just in case, bring your scuba stuff Ken, you never know, we might have to go in with just dive knives to defend ourselves against the mob. We could let you know what is up that morning i reckon around 9-9.30.

Congratulations are in order! Thanks to an incredible wife and a lot of overtime, I will be picking up my first set of regs on Tuesday! Zeagle deluxe, w/ zeagle octo and multigauge. Now all I need is a tank for myself... she just bought a 63 for herself last week. I also need a new bc, but that can wait. I'm looking at a 600$ set by the time I'm done. It will be assembled and ready Tuesday morning so we will be set for actual diving next Saturday now! Now if one of the man killers drags me down like they did the guy last week, I can breathe long enough to fight it off and possibly survive. I can't believe he went SNORKELLING with them! Didn't anyone tell him they're nastier than sharks? Oh well. I hope he was insured for his family's sake!

Maneater completed her SCUBA Cert for OW! Although my yak is going to be under repair, I am still planning on a manatee dive at the springs. It may happen closer to noon, depending on a few variables. I will post on Friday whether the yak is repaired or we'll be renting, and how to identify us. One of the guys here at work went on a trip to King's Spring this past weekend and said it was fairly clear and there were half a dozen T's out there.

The van is up and running. Sooooo......
This weekend at Plantation inn, look for the white van with lots of dive stickers, and the "TMBRWLF" license plate. Since the kayak will NOT be ready in time,... look for a large two person SOTYAK. I will be renting it from here in town if available and taking it on the trip. Gibbon will also have his red one so they will probably be tied and anchored somewhere together.

Ok, so does that mean you will take your dive gear if you get a SOT? I guess some others of us might be up for a little SOT-diving after Venice - still thinking afternoon though, is that still a possible with you all?

If my regs are ready by this weekend, I will definitely be doing some diving. I'll only have an al63 so I'll be limited on bottom time, but I do plan on being there by noon. It depends on when I can get the yak here in town and how Gibbon and I handle the trip down logistics-wise.
:eek:verlord:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom