West FLA Report - Rainbow River & 300 Manatees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What would be the nearest airport to Crystal River? Looks like Ocala, but I don't see any flights going there. Maybe due to COVID?

What would be the nearest airport to Crystal River? ..
The best would be fly into Orlando. Lots of flights, Direct flights, very cheap and all different times of the day. The smaller airports like Gainesville/others may be only 1 flight a day to your location and lots of connections. From the Orlando Airport to Crystal River is just 75 minutes. There's some $60/night hotels, but really for an extra 20 bucks it's worth it to stay right on the water, talk with other divers at the bar, catch a sunset and launch a kayak. For all the "established" manatee snorkeling spots>>>None of them are a "Shore-Dive". You must travel by water to get to any of them. One last thing,,,,manatees move in-out-around to feed. Morning is not always the best time. I hit the jackpot by going at 3pm with bunches of them swimming right past me.

The city park rentals stop at 1pm, but the hotel yak rentals don't end. You could EASILY do the 9am Rainbow River dive, then drive to Plantation Hotel and paddle to 3 Sisters and be finished by 5pm. $10 for the Taxi & $25 for Yak rental >>>>Total cost - about $35 !
Well, it’s $15 per diver to enter the state park, so with the Taxi fee it’s $25, but it’s still cheaper than an Ocean dive...

Thanks for posting. I've read about the Rainbow River dive, and would like to do it someday. Diving with manatees would be sweet!

Richard.
I snorkeled with them on Peanut Island a few weeks ago and it was amazing! Definitely one of coolest things I’ve done!

Rainbow river is definitely a neat dive. I live roughly an hour away and try to do it at least once a year, usually when the gulf is blown out. This past year i did a night dive there and it was a totally different dive, so many different things come out at night that you don't see during the day.

I've never dove with the manatees in Crystal River but have snorkeled with them. Three Sisters Springs and Kings Springs are loaded this time of year with the cooler temperatures.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom