Critique this photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Ernst

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am playing with a new DSLR on land before she goes underwater.

So I am asking.... tell me what is wrong ... or right .

What could be better and what could be done worse.

Shoot away Photographers... tell me what you think??

If you click twice it will enlarge

I like. It's dynamic, nice diagonal composition. Might appear less cluttered if shot goose at waterline, not including two heads in foreground and substitute with a bit more water at top of frame. It would cut the bird at bottom left a bit, but to me the two in front perspective are more interesting, and you'd have gotten most of the bottom left bird. It's a minor thing, just a possiblility. I like the photo a lot!
(PS-Layman's opinion)

I like. It's dynamic, nice diagonal composition. Might appear less cluttered if shot goose at waterline, not including two heads in foreground and substitute with a bit more water at top of frame. It would cut the bird at bottom left a bit, but to me the two in front perspective are more interesting, and you'd have gotten most of the bottom left bird. It's a minor thing, just a possiblility. I like the photo a lot!
(PS-Layman's opinion)

Thank you very much, That is what I was looking for is to see what an outside unbias person thought of the pic, the compasition and so forth.

I'm not a photographer, but it's quite odd- all the black birds are in the water and all the white birds are in the air. Only a few of the white birds overlap visually, so it looks like they are competing for space. It's an odd juxtaposition between the orderly birds swimming on the surface and the dynamic chaos of the birds in flight. When I look at the composition, it looks like the flying birds are trying to tesselate the image.

It's interesting and I liked it enough to write about it. :D

Good capture of action! Is it cropped? If so, I'd like to see the original if possible. It's a bit tight and I'd like some more negative space, I think.

For me, it's a tad dark - I'd get into Lightroom and tweak the curve a little I think.

I'm not seeing a super sharp point of focus, but it's OK throughout the frame. It's a bit chaotic, with no clear main subject...which kinda works and kinda doesn't, for me. If the bird coming in for the landing was pin sharp and in the frame differently it would be stronger, I think...the bird with his back to us in the centre just isn't strong enough and the other birds make me feel like the action was more to the left...

And I know I'm a pain, but I hate having to click to view...I want to see it in the post so I can simply have the single screen to look and type :wink:

Alcina.

it is cropped so I will try to load the origianal.

Um.... I am not sure how to load the picture so that you dont have to click on it???

Can you help me with that

Here is one of the two not touched.

041_2_.JPG

Awww! Shame you didn't frame (and move) further to the left! having the little kid there with the birds coming in would have been great!

I know what you mean..... but I was a bit uneasy as it was just her and her mother and then I show up... A complete stranger and a fairly big guy that I am at that with a camera suddenly taking pictures of her child might not have been a good idea. LOL!

It maybe that I am just to careful, But I no how protective I am with my children.

I am still trying to get that othere original to load to my gallery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom