Critical Accident Rescues/Incidents - How many involvements have you had?

See below....

• Never

Votes: 36 46.2%
  • Once

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Twice or more

Votes: 23 29.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This, I'm sure, is a politically incorrect post, but it's been my experience over the last 40 years:

If you choose to dive with thinking, skilled divers, your chances of being involved with a nasty incident diminish dramatically.

All the best, James

True enough... I'd also posit that if you are an active diver who keeps at it for a few decades, you will be called on to make a save or three.
The *best* saves are the ones you catch before they're 'saves.'
:)
Rick
...If you choose to dive with thinking, skilled divers, your chances of being involved with a nasty incident diminish dramatically...

This, I'm sure, is a politically incorrect post, but it's been my experience over the last 40 years:

If you choose to dive with thinking, skilled divers, your chances of being involved with a nasty incident diminish dramatically.

All the best, James

If you are a dive professional, you often do not have that luxury.

In fact, if you are "good", you often get "assigned" the worst basket cases. I got buddied up with a significantly, mentally retarded gentleman, at the spure of the moment, not 2 minutes before we splashed. I had almost no time to evaluate this individual, other than to determine that he had some serious deficits and was nervous. He ended up being fine; followed me like a puppy dog and we had a fun dive in 60 or 80 feet of water. He was very enthusiastic underwater and also on the surface interval as we talked about the dive. He had a lot more fun than me, I was very nervous.

But it's like a "box of chocolates" in many situations.

I have 316 dives in 7 years and a very few as a DM and DMC. Nothing yet. I guess eventually %s catch up with you.

Over 1100 dives since 1991, no incidents whatsoever

Witness to a death on the Oriskiny. Just wasn't in a position to help. Recently I was doing a boat dive in Bonaire. A girl in another group had somehow turned her air off after gearing up and checking everything and forgot she had done it. She managed to get to about 40 ft on what was in her hose when she started making noises. A guy in our group heard her and saw her take her reg out of her mouth and grab her snorkel. She was just before putting it in her mouth when he gave her his primary (long hose, works very well). He tried to purge her second stage with no success then checked her air and it was indeed off. Just one breath away from disaster.

No incidents but - was doing a dive with Herman at a dive site called Oil Slick on Bonaire. Another group had a serious problem but Herman figured out what was going on and helped them out before things got bad.

I on the other hand thought they were just idiots - learned my lesson and took stress and rescue as soon as I was able to.

On a night drift dive in Florida with a group of 4 I never made it down due to weighting issues. I was unable to get their attention. It was clear waters and eventually one diver started coming back up. I didn't realise their was a problem until she surfaced. She surfaced a little bit away from me and her only responses to my commands was moaning. Got the dive boat's attention before leaving the dive float. Not sure what the outcome would have been if I wasn't there. It being night time, She was breathing but unresponsive to commands. Bottom line was she had an equipment malfunction and got a bunch of water in her lungs. Spent a few days in the hospital before being released. So I'm going to vote once.

Twice:

Once me and a couple of friends were the rescuers in an incident where a diver had gone OOA and apparently drowned. The DM he was with left him for dead, his buddy raised the alarm and we went to get him. Amazingly he survived.

The other time we just witnessed it. A zodiac with a number of divers onboard flipped over in high waves and one of the divers fell on the propeller, which was still turning. We were on shore when they brought the wounded diver in. He survived.

I've been diving since 1984.

R..

I am indeed lucky in my 650 dives since 1997, it's only a matter of time. I've had many low on air instances I have lost count. It's been very easy to get my buddy back to the ascent line to ascend in most circumstances. I'm just waiting for something more serious to occur.

Good diving, Craig

Back
Top Bottom