Criminally negligent homicide?/Scuba Instructor Faces Charges (merged threads)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i just completed an open water class. that seems to go against everything my instructors taught me.

For the book learning portion of the class, online is probably fine. The tests of course have to be done proctored in some way. I think the reason my students do well in my online courses (I teach information systems not scuba diving) is because I provide video lectures and hands on things to do to get comfortable with the material. The nice thing about that is that auditory learners can listen to the material several times so that they get a better handle on it. Some people just don't do well with books.

Basically, for the "brain" part of any class I feel that delivering the material in as many ways as possible is best.

If you are interested to find out how best you learn go to VARK -- A Guide to Learning Styles.

I think all that any instructor wants is for students to get a handle on material.

SMW

As far as group work? I allow my groups to fire anyone who isn't contributing. Hmmmm - just like the real world.

SMW

I take it you've never worked in a Union shop.

You really have to try hard to get fired from this place, because the company figured out it's cheaper in the long run to keep worthless employees than to fight the grievances. The employee that busts his buns and knows what he's doing gets the exact same pay as the one who sits on his buns and is completely clueless.

Yeah, I'm a bit jaded. I realize the Union is obligated to represent employees, even if the Stewards think the person deserved to get their tail kicked out of here. It does get difficult to stay motivated when you realize the company has no way to penalize those who don't, and no way to reward those who do.

I take it you've never worked in a Union shop.

hmmmm - so UoP is like a Union shop university. Interesting analogy.

Anyone have any updates on the Scuba Instructor case?

SMW

hmmmm - so UoP is like a Union shop university. Interesting analogy.

Anyone have any updates on the Scuba Instructor case?

SMW

This will take a couple years to resolve. Especially coupled by the fact that there is both a criminal and civil case.

My guess is the criminal case will be settled. Misdemeanor; small fine, no jail time and community service. The prosecuting attorney will like it, because in Tuscaloosa this is probably a high profile case.

The civil case will probably be settled as well by the insurance company paying out.

But, it could be a while before we hear very much.

jcf

I think its a shame that this is even going to court. This person chose to take a class that has risks involved. I know we dont have all the info on this case, but I think its a fair bet that he brought this upon himself. I'm not entirely excusing the instructor, not at all, I just wonder if there was much that could have been done by her? We had four people in our class, and when the instructor was working with one of the others, if I had gotten it into my mind to hold my breath and shoot up to the top, what could he have done? I know thats not what they are saying happened. It is a possibility tho isnt it? The analogy that I'd use for this is, if I get in a car accident tomorrow and die, should my family sue the drivers ed teacher? Guess its wait and see, but I think SCUBAJCF hit it on the nose.

My guess is the criminal case will be settled. Misdemeanor; small fine, no jail time and community service. The prosecuting attorney will like it, because in Tuscaloosa this is probably a high profile case.

One word: Nifong.

The civil case will probably be settled as well by the insurance company paying out.

If she wasn't operating within her credentials and the applicable standards, she may not be covered. It's certain the agency will leave her to twist in the wind.

In PADI this sounds like a CESA drill (controlled emergency swimming ascent). The instructor doesn't send the student to the surface, but accompanies him, to both make sure the ascent rate is appropriate and controled, and insure that the student is continuously releasing air from his lungs through the entire ascent, The regulator should remain in the student's mouth through the entire exercise. We regularly employ the use of divemasters to avoid leaving students unattended at the bottom of the pool, which allows the instructor to accompany and monitor the ascending student. It would be unfair to make any judgements based on the limited and sometimes contradictory information that is available, but there is some possibility that a lack of instructor oversight could be a factor in the unfortunate death of this student.

In PADI this sounds like a CESA drill (controlled emergency swimming ascent). The instructor doesn't send the student to the surface, but accompanies him, to both make sure the ascent rate is appropriate and controled, and insure that the student is continuously releasing air from his lungs through the entire ascent, The regulator should remain in the student's mouth through the entire exercise. We regularly employ the use of divemasters to avoid leaving students unattended at the bottom of the pool, which allows the instructor to accompany and monitor the ascending student. It would be unfair to make any judgements based on the limited and sometimes contradictory information that is available, but there is some possibility that a lack of instructor oversight could be a factor in the unfortunate death of this student.

Just for practice Bill, read through the first hundred posts of this thread and then reflect on how out of touch your post is! And by the way, welcome to the board!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom