cressi/sub matrix brainteaser

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

champsummers

Registered
Reaction score
The crystal blue waters of South Lake Tahoe, CA
Greetings all,
Here is a puzzle for you: My Cressi-Sub Matrix mask works great on the first dive. Wonderful vision, no fogging, no leaks, ultra comfortable.
On the second dive, however, the mask leaks like a shower nozzle! I have to clear my mask every 2 minutes. :banghead: It's happend on 3 consecutive 2 tank dives.
Any ideas ? (other than super glue like my brother suggested) :bash:
Thanks!

First time I used my Matrix it leaked too. Next dive same day it was fine.
I have used it on 50 or so dives and every now and then it leaks.
The best solution i have found is pushing it high up on my face and pressing it in to my face to get a good vacuum seal. I have learned very good mask clearing skills and removal and refitting skills since owning it though.
My other mask is a Tusa Hyperdry with a valve. This never had a problem with leaking but it is a high volume mask and I prefer the low volume hi vis matrix even though it leaks for no apparent reason from time to time. Maybe it could be my bad habit of exhaling thru my nose from time to time.

Probably the 2 most common situations causing mask leaks & solutions are:

Mask sitting too far up your nose, resulting in loss of seal at the bottom where your nostrils are; solution: position the mask further up, ensuring your mask sits below your nostril.

If you clench your reg in your mouth, it will cause your face to distort and thereby resulting in loss of seal; solution: relax your grip on the mouthpiece; if you feel you can't get a secure hold on your mouthpiece because it feels too rubbery and soft, try a product like SeaCure.

Good luck!

Fish Wisp, y'know, I have no idea what changes between the first tank and the second tank. Ive tried adjusting everything. But since the leakage problem happened on three consecutive days, and only on the second tank, I dont think that it is the mask strap.
Maybe my head is getting smaller. :)
But thanks for your input.

Scuba girl- Great thought ! This teeth clenching you describe may indeed be the cause of the problem.. Maybe I do it more on my second tank dive than on the first. Fatigue?
Anyway, I'll work on this and maybe try SeaCure as you suggest,
cause I really love the mask (when its not full of water)....
Thanks!

champsummers:
Fish Wisp, y'know, I have no idea what changes between the first tank and the second tank. Ive tried adjusting everything. But since the leakage problem happened on three consecutive days, and only on the second tank, I dont think that it is the mask strap.
Maybe my head is getting smaller. :)
But thanks for your input.

Are you putting the mask on your face first and then pulling the strap over the back of your head? Do you have a snorkel attached to the strap? Are you smiling so much when you're down there that your smily cheeks are breaking the seal? LOL Do you have the mask too tight, or the strap unequally tightened from one side to the other? I'm just trying to think of things that would cause it to leak... I hope you are able to resolve it. I too, love this mask. It's probably the nicest one I've ever used. (I liked it so much, I bought it TWICE!) LOL

The Sea Cure mouthpiece is just nice... Even if you weren't having issues. :)

The cold water may be causing your face to shrink a little. That IS a thought. There was a woman who lost a ring in Cozumel because her knuckles shrank in the cooler water.

Packhorse...... Maybe it could be my bad habit of exhaling thru my nose from time to time.[/QUOTE:
That's my problem. I still breathe a little through my nose which affects the mask seal.

I have never been able to get a good seal when I wear a snorkel with my Matrix.
It doesn't take much to change the position of the mask. I have moved my strap an inch on my head and the leaks stopped. If nothing else this mask got me good at clearing. For the most part it is a great mask but it is sensitive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom