Cressi Newton vs Goa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrunkenKraken

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings, I am a new diver. That guy who's about to dive for the first time without the need to demonstrate for the 100th time that he can recover his regulator underwater.

Believe me, I searched online as much as I could before deciding to bug you. Read tons of reviews, but most of them are not hands-on but just c&p from companies' websites.

I just wanted to know where the Newton and the Goa differ other than looks.

Besides technical differences that I couldn't pinpoint:
Former is titanium, latter is plastic. Does that mean the Goa is heavy, scratch-prone and ready to explode at the first fall on the ground?

Numbers on display look different on photos, but there are no comparative reports about them. Which one has a more organized and easy to read display for blind novices?

People say Newton's buttons are too stiff. Is that true and worse than the two-button navigation of Goa?

Experienced divers, I am really sorry for such shallow questions. Truth is:
- I need a dive computer.
- I need a new watch. Mine has so many scratches that time seems to be displayed in Cyrillic alphabet Ж Ж - Ж Ж
- I can't put much more money on diving anymore.

So I am between those two, as they best address the three issues above.
I probably don't need a freediving mode, although it sounds interesting.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much for your help!

You wont find much on the newton i have looked the drake is the same computer with programming for free diving. This should give you some idea how it looks

Oceanic Geo 2, list 349, goes on sale. Runs DSAT and PZ+.

interesting I cant seem to read between the lines enough to figure out what this means
"Buhlmann ZHL-16c based PZ+"

does that mean partial buhlmann or their own new algorithm?

Greetings, I am a new diver. That guy who's about to dive for the first time without the need to demonstrate for the 100th time that he can recover his regulator underwater.

Believe me, I searched online as much as I could before deciding to bug you. Read tons of reviews, but most of them are not hands-on but just c&p from companies' websites.

I just wanted to know where the Newton and the Goa differ other than looks.

Besides technical differences that I couldn't pinpoint:
Former is titanium, latter is plastic. Does that mean the Goa is heavy, scratch-prone and ready to explode at the first fall on the ground?

Numbers on display look different on photos, but there are no comparative reports about them. Which one has a more organized and easy to read display for blind novices?

People say Newton's buttons are too stiff. Is that true and worse than the two-button navigation of Goa?

Experienced divers, I am really sorry for such shallow questions. Truth is:
- I need a dive computer.
- I need a new watch. Mine has so many scratches that time seems to be displayed in Cyrillic alphabet Ж Ж - Ж Ж
- I can't put much more money on diving anymore.

So I am between those two, as they best address the three issues above.
I probably don't need a freediving mode, although it sounds interesting.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much for your help!

You need a diving watch AND a dive computer? I have both and have never worn a watch while I have my dive computer. Save that money and apply to other equipment.

btw to avoid going through what i did I would tell you to get an air integrated dive computer. Mares has one INCLUDING the transmitter for $679.00 retail in usa dollars. which means you can get them cheaper thats a high end retail cost.

Mares quad air wrist computer

oops they changed price to 699 but considering transmitters cost $350 you are only paying $350 for an air integrated dive computer where most cost about 800 to 1100 without a transmitter.

Mares Quad Air Wrist Computer - Wrist Dive Computers - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

found it here without transmitter so you can pick up transmitter when you have the cash. if thats important to you

Mares Quad Air Computer

You wont find much on the newton i have looked the drake is the same computer with programming for free diving. This should give you some idea how it looks

Thank you, if the Newton looks just the same, well that's not too bad.

Either way, you're stuck with the Cressi RGBM deco algorithm.

Ah yes, I have been reading a lot about their algorithm being excessively conservative. Would that be really a deal breaker for such a novice like me?
The Geo 2 looks awesome indeed, only problem is to get it in Canada for a reasonable price. Found it on a popular US store for us$350 as you said, but they don't ship that specific item here. In Canadian stores it doesn't go for less than 500 canadian plus shipping.
On the other hand, the Goa can be found for us$225, which is 300cd.

I'll search a bit more though, because the Geo2 really seems awesome.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom