Cressi Newton vs Goa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need a diving watch AND a dive computer? I have both and have never worn a watch while I have my dive computer. Save that money and apply to other equipment.

btw to avoid going through what i did I would tell you to get an air integrated dive computer. Mares has one INCLUDING the transmitter for $679.00 retail in usa dollars. which means you can get them cheaper thats a high end retail cost.

Mares quad air wrist computer

oops they changed price to 699 but considering transmitters cost $350 you are only paying $350 for an air integrated dive computer where most cost about 800 to 1100 without a transmitter.

Mares Quad Air Wrist Computer - Wrist Dive Computers - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

found it here without transmitter so you can pick up transmitter when you have the cash. if thats important to you

Mares Quad Air Computer

I didn't explain it well, sorry: I actually need a diving computer that can be also used as a day-to-day watch. No need for two pieces of equipment, I just want one that can be used in and out of water. That's why I am going with smaller models.
I have a feeling an air integrated computer is a bit too much for me now. But I'll definitely take a look at the Mares tomorrow, it sounds a bit expensive even without the transmitter but then again the Geo 2 wouldn't be much better if I decide to give up on Cressi.
Thanks a lot for the tip!

Hi @DrunkenKraken

The Geo2 is much too large for me to wear as a watch, most, if not all the watch-size computers are. Go try some on and see what you think

Now that's some bad news there... It is true, I have never tried any of them, local stores here are kinda basic Suunto-lovers. I was relying solely on measurements and pictures, and those looked ok. The Geo 2 still seems very complete for its size and price. And I have to say the Goa looks better software-wise than the Newton.

Now that's some bad news there... It is true, I have never tried any of them, local stores here are kinda basic Suunto-lovers. I was relying solely on measurements and pictures, and those looked ok. The Geo 2 still seems very complete for its size and price. And I have to say the Goa looks better software-wise than the Newton.

What features does the GOA have that the newton does not? They looked very similar to me when i looked at them

What features does the GOA have that the newton does not? They looked very similar to me when i looked at them

Well, that's all this post is trying to find out :D

But you are right, what I said about the Goa doesn't seem to be accurate: I had the bad luck of start comparing their manuals by Safety Stops (which is something I didn't like in the Zoop I used before) - that's perhaps one of the very few differences between them. The Goa shows the SS in minutes and seconds, while the Newton shows only minutes. I couldn't keep the comparison at the time and jumped to the conclusion that the Goa looked better. My apologies.

Today I kept comparing their manuals and they look very similar alright. I may be missing something though, some technicalities are beyond my comprehension at this point.

- The Goa has a Freediving mode
- The Newton has those below, God knows if I'll need them:
Possibility to use two different Nitrox hyper-oxygenated mixes selectable during the same dive • Complete setting of oxygen percentage (%O2) and partial pressure of oxygen (PO2) parameters, with possibility to set PO2 between 1.2 bar and 1.6 bar and %O2 between 21% and 50% for the first mix, and between 21% and 99% for the second

- The Newton's battery is placed in the lid.
- The Goa's battery is placed in the middle of the motherboard

There's probably something else I don't recall now.

You better make your decision quick since the Neon and Michelangelo are coming out in February...

Well, that's all this post is trying to find out :D

But you are right, what I said about the Goa doesn't seem to be accurate: I had the bad luck of start comparing their manuals by Safety Stops (which is something I didn't like in the Zoop I used before) - that's perhaps one of the very few differences between them. The Goa shows the SS in minutes and seconds, while the Newton shows only minutes. I couldn't keep the comparison at the time and jumped to the conclusion that the Goa looked better. My apologies.

Today I kept comparing their manuals and they look very similar alright. I may be missing something though, some technicalities are beyond my comprehension at this point.

- The Goa has a Freediving mode
- The Newton has those below, God knows if I'll need them:
Possibility to use two different Nitrox hyper-oxygenated mixes selectable during the same dive • Complete setting of oxygen percentage (%O2) and partial pressure of oxygen (PO2) parameters, with possibility to set PO2 between 1.2 bar and 1.6 bar and %O2 between 21% and 50% for the first mix, and between 21% and 99% for the second

- The Newton's battery is placed in the lid.
- The Goa's battery is placed in the middle of the motherboard

There's probably something else I don't recall now.

2 buttons vs 4 and if you want freedive that is the drake basically a newtown with different software

2 buttons vs 4 and if you want freedive that is the drake basically a newtown with different software

Nah, I can live without freediving. But I gotta say it is annoying to wait a safety stop without watching a proper countdown in the computer - when I see just minutes displayed there, I keep wondering if the thing is still working and not just frozen.

You better make your decision quick since the Neon and Michelangelo are coming out in February...

Well, if anything they should get the Goas and Newtons on sale everywhere, no?
In any case, I dive in March so I don't think I can wait for Michelangelos and Neons. Besides, I read a bit and again, Cressi didn't provide proper comparison between new models and existing ones. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same as the Goas and Newtons.

Back
Top Bottom