Crash dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy hell that was hard to read because of all of the improper spelling. Please run your posts through a spell checker. Hell I think there's one built into SB
Thanks that's helpful

Thanks that's helpful

I definitely wasn't trying to be the grammar police, but when there's that many misspellings it's like having a kid scream in your ear while you're trying to read War and Peace. You just can't concentrate on what the words are trying to say.

I just hate it when I have to agree with Bender, it seems tragic and in some strange way unjust. There is however, another way to look at that differs from the Fully Technical approach forwarded. Scott did his first dive fifty six years ago and Scott is an archaeologist he studies culture. The issue at hand is a function of psychology not technology. It is not common but it does happen, it is a part of our diving culture, our history.. I mentioned one of my stories and others mentioned other accidents. Many have stories of one fatality followed by a second or more. As unfortunate as it may be, predictably, some accident survivors reject any criticism or mention of error on there part, and emerge with the conviction that they are right and others do not understand. They commonly believe that as a result of an accomplishment, technology or method they are in some way superior. They also attract accidents. If you have been around long enough we have all seen this dance before there were similar problems when people pushed deep on air., Identifying a problem is often the first step in addressing it,

@Scott McWilliam

TLDR, real easy. Sotis was responsible for Rob. He was not only his instructor, but he was a PAID safety diver for this trip. Ergo, Rob's safety is his direct responsibility. Rob died while in the water, Sotis was on the dive, ergo Sotis is responsible for Rob's death because he failed to perform his duties as instructor and safety diver. Sotis can do whatever he wants wrt running his business and anything distasteful is frankly expected at this point given the multiple lawsuits against him and history

@Scott McWilliam

TLDR, real easy. Sotis was responsible for Rob. He was not only his instructor, but he was a PAID safety diver for this trip. Ergo, Rob's safety is his direct responsibility. Rob died while in the water, Sotis was on the dive, ergo Sotis is responsible for Rob's death because he failed to perform his duties as instructor and safety diver. Sotis can do whatever he wants wrt running his business and anything distasteful is frankly expected at this point given the multiple lawsuits against him and history
I disagree

As far as I know the course had been completed atleast 1 day prior to the accadent.

So mr. sotis was robs dive buddy during the dive not his instructor. We can only assume that rob mett the minimum standards to achieve the certification and clearly understood the hazards of such dives and the complexity of diving a ccr.

Apparently rob signaled ok upon reaching the surface. As a qualified rebreather diver rob must have been experienced at managing the ccr on the surface.
The fact that this happened on the surface may make the depth of the previous dive irrelevant .

@Scott McWilliam

You KNOW Peter was paid as a safety diver? I've read every court motion. He was never designated as a safety diver, he was designated (by the charterer) as an instructor.

The designated safety diver was not on the vessel that day.

I have that evidence if you want it by PM or email, but it's posted in the thread.

Deep is deep. If only Rob had of been in the Navy. One dive to 220' a day is a days work. Two dives maybe in an emergency, but three? It is the old joke, the dive computer says he is still alive.

I have also seen an exert from a shearwater download that my or my not be from robs rebreather. This 2 minute graph shows a po2 in a range that would support life but also low enough that some other gas was present in the loop. I am not going to publicly speculate what those gases or gas might be.
I also question if the download is actually from robs machine and wonder about the rest of the time line . Again only I have only seen 2 min of what was a 45 min dive??
Like you colleague Scott McWilliams, you are apparently not the kind of guy to be bothered with getting your facts straight first. All the evidence needed to check that there was never any pO2 concern (whether high or low) is available in the many documents posted on the thread I referred to, and there is plenty of arguments to read about them in the dedicated accident thread. But again, it is your right to not care, as this is the internet, not a court of justice. It just makes your argument extremely weak, and frankly not interesting.
Like you colleague, you seem to have waken up with the intent to bash a particular company, specifically because they offer a way to dive to 200 m. What is wrong with that? That people get hurt (one of the member here, who has written about his accident, may want to chip in)? Well, I guess that the word will get out and people will think twice before signing up for deep dives on GF90/90 and AL40 bailout cylinders.

I find your comment difficult to read, poorly wrtten and even harder to understand. The thread was started as a comment on the video How to Dive to 200 Video by the Add Helium Dive team. You are so far off topic it would take an air lift to get you back into the discussion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom