Cozumel... When and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's all in how questions are answered. Granted tone is hard to read in emails but maybe a more thorough response was needed to inform why certain things are done a certain way.

As for me I do not want a set schedule. I dive everyday on my trips and I like that everyone has input on where we go once we get on the boat. Really most times the person who speaks up first and names a site is where the boats goes because most who don't speak up don't have a preference. And if I suggested a site one day I'll wait and see if someone else wants to suggest the next day. If someone really wants to go to a particular site we go and if someone strongly opposes a site then we skip it.

I personally like a schedule because you can choose the day they go to your fav reef and is not determined by a Dm.

The problem with your logic is that it assumes that the dive sites are the same, day after day. That is simply not the case. Currents, visability, and even sea life can vary day by day. I have been on a site like Cedral when it was a pleasant dive with gentle current, great visability, and tons of morays, and I have been on it when the current was ripping, visibility was marginal, and it seemed like every living thing was gone or taking shelter. The DMs dive Cozumel every day, they know which sites are going to be good, which will provide the kind of "Ooh, Aah!" responses from the divers that will mean better tips. Just because you have heard that Palancar Bricks was a great dive from someone who dove it 2 years ago does NOT necessarily mean that it will be great on the day you choose to dive it. Trust the DMs; they know a LOT better than you which sites will be great on the day you are on the boat, and the incentives they have - i.e., maximizing their tip income - assure that their interest is in giving you great dives.

And if the site you wish to dive already has 6 boats over it who are dropping their divers when you arrive, do you REALLY want to be on the tail end of THAT mob rush? I'd prefer to be flexible in such an instance. And, yes, it occurs all the time in Coz.

The last two answers are great explanations as to why the good typical dive ops with fast boats figure it out day of. They know the weather and the currents. They will sometimes drop in to check if they are right and then come back up to signal the pool is open or they will head to a different entry point. They live on tips. They want you to be happy and fall in love with them so you keep coming back. The ops that operate on a schedule may be more schedule driven. I hope you enjoy your trip and fall in love with the people that take you out.

No I get you. I can see someone wanting that I guess. I prefer talking to people on the boat and deciding where to go. Like I would get tired easily of going to the C53 time and time and time again because it was on the schedule. That being said, if someone wanted it, I can go again. Wander the wreck a little and go play with the grass eels. On the other hand, I would hate to go on a strong current day, as the C53 doesn't move and you have to fight the current to go from one end to the other.

As I said, my experience and my friends on BlueXTC too is that everyone decides where to go, not the DM. With your schedule the DM is deciding for you. Many time someone would request X reef and Alison would say maybe we should wait a day or two because they are reporting strong currents at X reef today. Where would you be then? Stand up and say No, this is the scheduled reef we go! or ok lets wait until Wednesday? Or maybe, hey everyone want to Canterell today? They saw alot of eagles yesterday? OK, lets do that. But I totally get the whole liking a set schedule and so forth. I am more for the laid back adventure. I would hate to have to choose a reef everyday. I like letting my boatmates pick. I did last month mention that the black tip reef shark pups were sighted on Palancar the day before. Everyone seems interested, so off we went and saw eight or nine cute lil' shark pups. You can't to that on a schedule without someone having a fit. You can't do special stuff as you promised something else. By the same token I have gotten on the boat and heard a diver was promised a trip to a certain reef. I was happy to go with it to fulfill their wish. Even if it was Columbia Shallows.... again..... :wink:

If you don't mind me asking, who does schedules that you picked?

As for you convo with the owner, well if that ticked you off, then sure I wouldn't go with them either. I was just pointing out the DMs I know over there are top notch. I would dive with either of them any day. Pedro Pablo is a great guide from all reports and find people a lot of stuff. And I like Wech a lot too. I just wanted to point out that the peeps on the boat are top notch.

As for cattle boats, so people like that and to each his own. I know people that like to stay south, go out on one dive, come back have lunch at the resort, go back after lunch for another tank, etc etc. Not saying that is wrong either. Some big cattle boats might have 3-4 groups on them, but they might also have a big fancy spot for cameras and camera rinse tanks and all. And you sure can't poll 20-30 divers to pick a sight. It all in what you want.

I let the day rule! Who would really like a schedule? I'm on vacation, the last thing I'm looking for is a schedule! Get me wet and let me find some creatures and I'm happy......my recent trip to little Cayman had a schedule, but if another boat was moored close by, the DM offered up opinions....that spur of the moment worked out very well too :)

The dive Op that went by a schedule was always dependent on real world factors of the day and they were very flexible in changing if needed. i didn't say they adhered to schedule no mater what. they were also the first on every reef we went to. so yeah I prefer a schedule but wasn't the reason I chose against Blue xt sea at all. you are all missing the point.

They were rude and condescending towards me and all I am going to say about the situation. no matter I already chose a dive OP that I am sure I will be quite happy with. and you know what guys they don't run by a schedule either. Like I said not the most important thing to me.

They were rude and condescending towards me and all I am going to say about the situation.

I am sorry that my delivery came across that way. Sometimes my efforts to explain are not necessary and/or do not come across as intended. I will work on that.

As previously said, I wish you well and have a wonderful time in Cozumel.

They were rude and condescending towards me and all I am going to say about the situation. no matter I already chose a dive OP that I am sure I will be quite happy with. and you know what guys they don't run by a schedule either. Like I said not the most important thing to me.

If you felt like it wasn't a good fit for you then by all means go with someone else, but one person's rude and condescending is another's frank and straightforward.

I would really like to hear more about specific reef recommendations in coz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom