Cozumel... When and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mapofcozumeldivesites4.jpg

I would really like to hear more about specific reef recommendations in coz.
Blue XT does a dive called Christy's happy place. We know you won't be doing that one. Aldora does a dive they call White House. It starts in between Francesa and Cdral. Scuba Mau use to do a dive they called the devil's a$$hole. It was The Devil's Throat done backwards. Maracaibo with Aldora is fantastic! But I heard with Blue Angel or SCC it's not so good. I really liked the way 3P did Dalila when I did it with them.

The dive ops seem to specialize in doing things their own way. They know the island and they know what's the best way for them to do things. Just go with the flow and have fun!

Thanks fishi... thts some great insider info. Exactly what i was looking for.

Most dive sites frequented by the ops are all the same ones - see the map above. Most of the ones with "special" names are just specific starting points that ops prefer on those same sites.

You just can't lose on a dive site. I haven't found one that wasn't interesting. We went last month to Bolones de Chankanaab. One we seem to rarely seen to hit for some reason. Everyone one seems to want to go south to Columbia and Palancar. However, we fooled around going from one big reef ball to another. Then did Chankanaab Shallows. I only say it to point out there really is not much of a reason to get all wound up in making SURE you get the BEST sites. Everyone one of them astounds and interests me. See the brief sample from the Scuba with Alison dive log. We also saw a few eels and lots of other stuff. This is just some highlight. Plus you get on the boat and say I want to see X, the DM probably know where might be good for X on that particular day.

Dive Log Tuesday, September 19th

I took Susanita, Trina and Steve Corky, Jefe to Bolones de Chankanaab per Jefe´s request. He convinced a toadfish to come mostly out of the hole. We saw some lobsters and Susanita showed Corky and I a Painted Elysia. Jefe shot the biggest lionfish ever and brought it back up on the boat for Carlos to see. He gave it to a guy who wanted to eat it.

Our second stop was Chankanaab shallow. Corky LOVED this dive. We putzed around and found a bunch of splendid toadfish. I showed her lots of little things like blennies and feather dusters. She really liked doing the bottom crawl.

You just can't lose on a dive site. I haven't found one that wasn't interesting. We went last month to Bolones de Chankanaab. One we seem to rarely seen to hit for some reason. Everyone one seems to want to go south to Columbia and Palancar. However, we fooled around going from one big reef ball to another. Then did Chankanaab Shallows. I only say it to point out there really is not much of a reason to get all wound up in making SURE you get the BEST sites. Everyone one of them astounds and interests me. See the brief sample from the Scuba with Alison dive log. We also saw a few eels and lots of other stuff. This is just some highlight. Plus you get on the boat and say I want to see X, the DM probably know where might be good for X on that particular day.

Dive Log Tuesday, September 19th

I took Susanita, Trina and Steve Corky, Jefe to Bolones de Chankanaab per Jefe´s request. He convinced a toadfish to come mostly out of the hole. We saw some lobsters and Susanita showed Corky and I a Painted Elysia. Jefe shot the biggest lionfish ever and brought it back up on the boat for Carlos to see. He gave it to a guy who wanted to eat it.

Our second stop was Chankanaab shallow. Corky LOVED this dive. We putzed around and found a bunch of splendid toadfish. I showed her lots of little things like blennies and feather dusters. She really liked doing the bottom crawl.

Balones is one of my secret favorites! A "sleeper" dive in a way - most don't think about it or go three - but it's a great one for photogs or people who like to putz around really looking at a coral head - some of my best shots have come from Balones.

Thank you cvchief...
Thank you Christi...

Balones is one i will surely request since I am nuts 4 corals. lol

does anyone know where the SPS (hard) corals are more prevalent? I remember there were some on most reefs we visited when I was there but there wasnt a concentrated amount of those corals. Mostly brains if any. I'm talking about corals like staghorns, digitatas, moniphoras, acrophoras ect

Back
Top Bottom