Cozumel Spring Break

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave55

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning a trip to Cozumel with my family for our spring break (March 14-21). Any recommendations for a hotel/resort which is relatively free from the typical Spring Break Late-night party scene? Our default plan is Cozumel Palace since we like to walk to town.

We will be there over spring break as well (3/31-4/9) but staying at the Wyndham (old Reef Club). No late night spring break party style but it's a ways from town.

Hotel Cozumel has a great breakfast (included) and is walking distance. We were in Coz the week of Christmas (stayed at Wyndham Aura - adults only, which worried me some, but really quiet and calm ) and they were doing major sewer repair/construction on that street. they were moving pretty quickly so they may be beyond the hotel by now (and definitely should be by march). It is usually divers staying there so shouldn't be any "over the top" partying at least.

I'm planning a trip to Cozumel with my family for our spring break (March 14-21). Any recommendations for a hotel/resort which is relatively free from the typical Spring Break Late-night party scene? Our default plan is Cozumel Palace since we like to walk to town.

Hi Dave,

You don't really have to worry about the traditional Spring Break rowdy crowd here - that's in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. Cozumel is a quiet, sleepy island where MOST things shut down by 11:00 or 12:00 - for the serious partiers, they can find a few places to party the night away - but that is the exception rather than the rule here.

Hi Dave,

You don't really have to worry about the traditional Spring Break rowdy crowd here - that's in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. Cozumel is a quiet, sleepy island where MOST things shut down by 11:00 or 12:00 - for the serious partiers, they can find a few places to party the night away - but that is the exception rather than the rule here.

Like Viva Mexico..................thats about it

So Dave you just might have heard this before..
Last year for spring break My wife and I took a vacation with our young daughter (6).
Being an avid diver I have just one requirement for vacation - it is a place to dive..
My wife a non-diver just wants a place with a beach and she does not have to worry going finding a place to eat with just her and our daughter while I am diving (she likes the all inclusive for this reason).

It being spring break however, we where a little concerned over this same subject. We did lots of the same type of queries on travel forums and other sites. The replies we got were pretty much in the same line as what has already been said here. "Cozumel is not a party town, This is all done in Cancun and Playa".
We went further and found more information on the resort the El Cozumeleno stating the they did not allow "springs breakers", they had strict limits on the number of guest allowed in a room.

We got there; got a very nice room, just off one of the pools, and could see out to the Channel .. it was beautiful and relaxing. My wife fell in love with the room, location and view. She really liked the view from the porch and enjoyed sitting out there after our daughter went to bed.

Most certainly, Jerry Springer and Girls Gone Wild did not show up on the beach, and it was a very peaceful and relaxing place during the day.

All was great for the first night, then on each side of our room two young groups that were clearly together arrived. I have no idea of what the limits were on the "number of guest allowed in a room" but I know there were way more people in those two rooms then pillows. Every night at about 9:30 - 10:00 these kids would start up with cranking the music and yelling.. OMG the language that some of these kids used. I know I went through a period where my language was not so great but I do not think I ever was as bad as this. Slamming their doors, running up and down the hallway, yelling. This went on EVERY night till about 4-5 in the morning. At points they were even knocking at our door - mistaking it for their other room....
ANYONE with a young child knows that in order for you to enjoy vacation or any other day knows that your child needs to sleep at night, Right!.
Plus any diver knows the morning dive boats leave early.

Asking them to quiet down did nothing at all.. Complaining to the hotel got it to stop for about 15-20 minutes. Then it started right backup

What Boggles my mind in all this is why did they want to spend so much of their time cramped in their hotel room when they were at a beautiful destination. They could have been out away from the rooms at the beach side bar - on the beach, the resorts night club.. or at one of the clubs in town. If you are just going to stay and party in a hotel room why spend the money on air fare - just get a room in your home town.

My wife having done all the research, and having an expectation that she would not have the bad experience has vowed to NEVER travel again on spring break.

I think she is being a little over dramatic. I connected with some other divers at the same hotel they did not have the same experience.. And I do not think that the whole hotel was over run with this type of group. The fact is that there are just dis-respectful people in this world - this same event could have happened at anytime of the year at any hotel and with any age group..

A couple lessons learned however -
If you can do not get a room within 5 door of the elevator banks(ever!).. (this is alway a mecca for the disrespectful).
Do not get a Ground Floor room - always a bad thing.. Really being able to just walk out to the pool is an answer for high theft risk and more foot traffic....
If you have noisy neighbors - do not wait to complain - complain often and just a load as they are.
Do not fall in LOVE with a HOTEL ROOM or the VIEW from it.
IF the Hotel cannot control the guest next to you after a couple of complaints - request to be moved and upgraded - DO NOT let the love for the room stop you from moving - you will have a better time in the long run.
The Squeaky Wheel Always gets oil first - if at first they hotel cannot move you make everyone aware, the day, the noon, the evening, the night shift..
Travel with a large group of your friends and maybe you can get rooms together to help prevent those disrespectful neighbors.

Last edited:
Palace would be my choice. The expense alone there, would tend to keep the spring party people away. The more upscale hotels will also be willing to please you if there is a problem.

Some other post mentioned Wyndham, it is know adults only so if your kids are under 17 thats out.
Budget rooms that will be quiet, 15 min walk to town, is Blue Angel hotel. Owner is on the premises and is very nice. Only 24 rooms all with ocean view.

Christi at www.bluextseadiving.com can also steer you to the many homes or condo's she books her customers in. She has some great connections. There are many large homes that have rental apartments, or condo's within walking distance of everything you might want.
Villas las ancles on avenue 5 sur is very nice (6 townhouse type apartments) with a small courtyard.

DTM experience would be the exception in Cozumel.

Cozumel Palace is awesome if you want to do an AI. The food is good and the service is exceptional. It can get a little busy around the pool during the day, hardly a spring break type atmosphere though.

Thanks everyone for your input! I guess there is always a small chance of an experience like DTm's but, overall, I like the odds.

DTm: I'd like to help you get past this bad experience. So I'm inviting you to join us Cozumel March 14-21. We will get the room next to you and if your other neighbors get out of line then I promise to take care of it.

What Boggles my mind in all this is why did they want to spend so much of their time cramped in their hotel room when they were at a beautiful destination. They could have been out away from the rooms at the beach side bar - on the beach, the resorts night club.. or at one of the clubs in town. If you are just going to stay and party in a hotel room why spend the money on air fare - just get a room in your home town.
Well, the points Christi raised might have even contributed to the situation. There is virtually no late night life on Cozumel, so they had to make their own. I agree that it's stupid to spend a lot of money on air fare and hotel and then just stay in the room and drink. Daddy was probably paying for it.

I've never been on Cozumel during Break, but from what I have heard from many sources, your experience was the exception rather than the rule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom