Cozumel Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
pilot fish:
You are also correct that the puter is not the ABSOLUTE rule but is there as a very, very reliable guide. You can dive more conservatively than your dive puter, but never exceed it.

I make deco dives because I'm trained to do it and mostly I dive with the silly Cobra in gauge mode. Recreational divers should follow their computers/tables and or whatever method they dive with. Is everyone happy now? :wink:

TheRedHead:
I make deco dives because I'm trained to do it and mostly I dive with the silly Cobra in gauge mode. Recreational divers should follow their computers/tables and or whatever method they dive with. Is everyone happy now? :wink:

That works for me:blinking:

OK, about the accident?:confused:

TheRedHead:
DepthCharge, I think you missed the fact that I just forgot to switch one of my computers to 36% instead of 21% for the 2nd dive. I realized my error when I saw I had 20 minutes of NDL at 50 feet. The first dive is generally deep and agressive with a 2.5 to 3 hour SI and the 2nd dive is done on Nitrox at 50-60 feet deep. My body is happy with my profiles so I don't think anyone needs to be concerned.

I think you missed my point..............the incorrect computer should have NOT been used after the screw-up. Should have been left in the room after the mix up was realized. Or if you have to have 2..then both you and the computer should have taken the next day off. And I said before ther is no such thing as a NDL dive......every dive has deco.

DepthCharge:
I think you missed my point..............the incorrect computer should have NOT been used after the screw-up. Should have been left in the room after the mix up was realized. Or if you have to have 2..then both you and the computer should have taken the next day off. And I said before ther is no such thing as a NDL dive......every dive has deco.
Okay, I've been trying to honor NetDoc's very reasonable request - and there's really not much more than can be said about the original accident. I would like to address your arguement, but let's take the Redhead's example elsewhere...

For the record, I am confident that as competent a diver as she is, that she used the rebooted dive computer only for backup the rest of the trip. I had a very similar problem on my last trip. Cleared the misset comp and used it for backup the rest of the trip.

DandyDon:
Okay, I've been trying to honor NetDoc's very reasonable request - and there's really not much more than can be said about the original accident. I would like to address your arguement, but let's take the Redhead's example elsewhere...

For the record, I am confident that as competent a diver as she is, that she used the rebooted dive computer only for backup the rest of the trip. I had a very similar problem on my last trip. Cleared the misset comp and used it for backup the rest of the trip.

You're right in this instance, Don, but DepthCharge is making a different point, I think- Don't mess with your dive puter to erase a violation. I believe he is quoting the book and newer divers should heed his advice. Red is more advanced and for her, in this instance, she was not diving dangerously.

Anyway, any word on the video lady and how she is doing and what caused her to get bent?

Anyway, any word on the video lady and how she is doing and what caused her to get bent?
As previously mentioned, Video shooters on Coz often make several dives in a day, on air - as their operating budgets wouldn't support Nitrox use, with lots of fast ascents to following the shooting. I'm surprised that more don't get bent there.

Ours did a wonderful job of shooting, but I was the only one from our boat who showed up to view the video. I did buy it.

DepthCharge:
I think you missed my point..............the incorrect computer should have NOT been used after the screw-up.

I find your logic faulty. The Cobra is an air integrated computer which acts as an SPG even when I'm not using it for other dive data.

DepthCharge:
Let's see:33: .............making aggressive dives over multiple days..........and we wipe out ALL computer info and start as no dives were made:shakehead .......anyone else see a problem with this? Not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, but I see so many certified, UNQUALIFIED divers that I wonder why the accident stats aren't thru the roof. I'm talking about not even being able to set up their own equipment, absolutely no understanding about decompression (no such thing as a no decompression dive!), etc. At this point I better:ignore:

Take a look at the tables and let me know what your group designation letter is after a 12 hour SI.

pilot fish:
Yes, two puters should be standard. My one puter is set at 1.4 PPO and the other is ar 1.6 PPO -they came that way. I follow the more conservative for MOD.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
-- Segal's Law

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom