Cozumel Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DepthCharge:
Let's see:33: .............making aggressive dives over multiple days..........and we wipe out ALL computer info and start as no dives were made:shakehead .......

I was diving with two computers so it didn't matter. I knew that I was going to send one computer into deco because it was set for 21%. The backup computer had been on all the dives. I just switched the roles of the computers. What's the problem?

BTW, 5 minutes into my dive, I knew my computer was giving me a garbage NDL. A quick check of the backup computer confirmed this and I could have checked the tables in my pocket, but I didn't need to.

TheRedHead... I've read tons of your posts and would dive with you anytime!

That ain't a pickup line. I'm married 10 years with 2 kids. By reading your posts it seem you have alot of knowledge and I'm quite sure I would learn something from you!

Have a nice day!! Marc

TheRedHead:
I was diving with two computers so it didn't matter. I knew that I was going to send one computer into deco because it was set for 21%. The backup computer had been on all the dives. I just switched the roles of the computers. What's the problem?

BTW, 5 minutes into my dive, I knew my computer was giving me a garbage NDL. A quick check of the backup computer confirmed this and I could have checked the tables in my pocket, but I didn't need to.
It's very difficult to criticize her diving standards. You can, but it won't fly.... :eyebrow:

Aww, thanks guys. :blush:

Anyone who posts here gets criticized - sometimes a lot!

TheRedHead:

Well..............I guess several things..........why miss set your computer, unless for more conservitive ( but then you need to follow it), switching the two computers still creates a problem if the primary craps out the next day. I quess I don't understand why one would want to start a dive knowing that you are deliberating making you computer give false data. 5 minutes into a dive and you know your getting bad data............must be pretty aggressive profiles.

DepthCharge, I think you missed the fact that I just forgot to switch one of my computers to 36% instead of 21% for the 2nd dive. I realized my error when I saw I had 20 minutes of NDL at 50 feet. The first dive is generally deep and agressive with a 2.5 to 3 hour SI and the 2nd dive is done on Nitrox at 50-60 feet deep. My body is happy with my profiles so I don't think anyone needs to be concerned.

DepthCharge:
Well..............I guess several things..........why miss set your computer, unless for more conservitive ( but then you need to follow it), switching the two computers still creates a problem if the primary craps out the next day. I quess I don't understand why one would want to start a dive knowing that you are deliberating making you computer give false data. 5 minutes into a dive and you know your getting bad data............must be pretty aggressive profiles.

Depth, you're right of course, no one should mess with their puters to erase deco violations or change the history in them, for any reason. If new divers are reading this thread, Depth is right, you should not change or ignore your dive puters. That's a given. The info on them is important and will help you be a safer diver, if you stay within the limits of your dive puter.

Ok, that's the book, and that's what should be done, but Red was dealing with a back up and she realized her puter was at 21% and not changed to EAN 32%. She is also very experienced and knew the violation was not a real violation but one on her backup because she forgot to change it. She was still diving with a puter that was set correctly to EAN 32% and that was guiding her real limits. I think in this case, becasue she is very experienced and had a back up puter she can be cut some slack. She sounds like a safe diver and seems to stay within her limits. To me it's just another reason to dive with two puters. In this instance, I think it is not a serious issue.

NetDoc:
*** Mod Post ***
Let's please keep to the original subject, to whit:

Thank you for your consideration.
*** Mod Post ***

Yes, I would like to hear if anyone had any news on the poor bent diver. I'm guessing she was doing a a deep, sawtooth profile, with a variance of more than 25 ft, up down, and so on? She must also have dove a lot and not paid any attention to her nitrogen load, or is it lode?

pilot fish:
Ok, that's the book, and that's what should be done, but Red was dealing with a back up and she realized her puter was at 21% and not changed to EAN 32%. She is also very experienced and knew the violation was not a real violation but one on her backup because she forgot to change it.

This is rather funny. Everyone natters on about blindly following your computer and not understanding what it is telling you and here is an incidence when I didn't blindly follow it because I knew it was wrong. I wasn't going to cut a perfectly wonderful dive short because my stupid computer was suffering GIGO. That's the whole point of having 2 computers. There is a very good case to be made for depth averaging and ratio deco here. :lol:

TheRedHead:
This is rather funny. Everyone natters on about blindly following your computer and not understanding what it is telling you and here is an incidence when I didn't blindly follow it because I knew it was wrong. I wasn't going to cut a perfectly wonderful dive short because my stupid computer was suffering GIGO. That's the whole point of having 2 computers. There is a very good case to be made for depth averaging and ratio deco here. :lol:

Yes, two puters should be standard. My one puter is set at 1.4 PPO and the other is ar 1.6 PPO -they came that way. I follow the more conservative for MOD. You are also correct that the puter is not the ABSOLUTE rule but is there as a very, very reliable guide. You can dive more conservatively than your dive puter, but never exceed it.

Depth was just quoting what is proper procedure but you were safe, given the backup set to correct NDL's, realizing the error, and your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom